Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

Moving around Parks when staying outside of shuttle service

Hello,

My wife and are renting a 25' RV and hitting several parks in May for two weeks. Grand Canyon, Bryce, Yosemite, and Sequoia (weather permitting) being the main attractions with stops between. We are not towing a vehicle so the RV is our source of transportation. I'm curious how others get around parks if your RV site is beyond shuttle service and probably too far for a hike to main attractions?

While I'd love to stay at RV camps close I'm afraid I missed the window to stay very close.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I wasn't even sure how to look for an answer to this question.

Thanks,
Rob
Rpbns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Taxi, Uber, Lyft, rental car, bikes - all are viable options depending on exactly where you and your own personal preferences.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #3

So all that will be available in the parks? I've never been so I'm not sure what to expect. Still have calls to make to visitor centers to get more info.
Thanks for the response Podivin!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

No, none of the above-mentioned modes of transportation will be available in the national parks. You would need to rent something outside of the park.

However, your 25' rental should allow you to tour the park. It's not that big. If a park only allows a shuttle service to get around, such as Zion, then you would park your RV inside the park near the shuttle stop and hop on the shuttle.

For Grand Canyon there is a shuttle service but it's not mandatory so you could either park your RV near the shuttle (get into the park early morning to find a spot) and then use the shuttle while you're there or else just drive your RV from spot to spot although parking is limited.

For Bryce, you can stay at Ruby's RV which is just outside the park entrance and the free shuttle stops right there.

I'm not sure on Yosemite and Sequoia as far as mandatory shuttle use or if they even use shuttles. Each park has an excellent web site that would give you lots of good information such as road info, shuttles, things to do, camping, special alerts, etc. Check them out before you go. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Also many parks have bike rentals.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

The shuttle is mandatory at the Grand Canyon south rim. You can get to some parking lots but not most of the viewing spots with a private vehicle. Here is the current link:

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...ttle-buses.htm
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #7

Thanks twogypsies, Ruby's RV is where I made my reservation already for that exact reason.

I would prefer to take the shuttle service, easier getting around and spending more time on the trails. From what I can tell Yosemite and Sequoia seem to have limited parking (I could be wrong) and they suggest taking their shuttles Guess I was just a bit disappointed that the shuttle routes didn't extend farther out to reach other campsites. But some of those sites are more than a half hour out of the way, so I understand.

Was hoping to not have to move the RV so much especially if I land at first come first serve campgrounds. That may not be an option as you say.

Checking the websites on the regular for warnings. Yosemite road 120 has me worried since that may not open for when I arrive. We get there at the time it normally opens but that is no guarantee.

Thanks Momdoc, I'm seriously considering it!
Old 03-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #8

We were just at the Grand Canyon with our 25' MH and got around to the viewing areas just fine with ample parking. Of course it is not peak season now, but just wanted to let you know that we hopped from one area to the other without any problems.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #9

2 weeks is kind of a tight schedule for all those destinations
Old 03-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #10

It is a lot. Flying to and from Phoenix.
First day is RV pickup stopping overnight in Sedona.
3 days in Grand Canyon
2 days in Bryce
Overnight at Hoover
Overnight at Death Valley
3 days in Yosemite (Hoping East access is clear)
2 days in Sequioa
Overnight at Joshua Tree or other spot on way back to Phoenix.

Problem is if we want to hit our main sites then this is the "circle" we kind of have to take. Plans may change depending on roads being clear in Yosemite.

Tags
service