Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

MUST SEE list Montana

I'm planning my summer trip to Mt Rushmore then on to Montana. What do folks on here consider a MUST SEE town or site in Montana? Will also see Yellowstone going or coming .
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #2

Glacier NP
Yellowstone NP
Little Bighorn Natl Battlefield
Old 02-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.sturgis.com/content/rall...lly-dates.html

What dates are you travelling and where are you starting and returning to?

Camping near Sturgis is booked very early.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #4

Still working on a time , but possibly mid June or mid August. Last year I went out west in September , loved it because most kids were back in school and most places were less crowded except Moab . I could wait till Sept again but I know it will be cooler in the upper states. Wife's got a family reunion in Owensboro Ky sometime in June and I might work out going by there on way , spend a couple nights to see her family . I understand the crowds at Yellowstone are pretty bad most of summer and will need to start making plans right away . I have never really had to make reservations for camp sites on any trip until I am on the road , I usually get lucky and find something but some of these areas are a bit more of a challenge .
Old 02-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

Since you're profile says South Carolina why not head north through Michigan and then take Hwy 2 across?

Upon entering Montana the very first stop should be Fort Peck COE park. Beautiful huge sites and you'll see why they call Montana 'Big Sky Country'. Continue heading west and the Glacier Nat'l Park mountains will soon come into view. Definitely make a stop at Glacier. Then work your way into the SW portion of Montana along Flathead Lake. Whitefish & Kalispell have some interesting things. Google individual towns and you'll get lots of information.

There are many gorgeous national forest campgrounds in the whole area. Helena has a beautiful capitol building to tour. If you do any trout fishing Ennis is great and nearby is Virginia City ghost town which is awesome and fun.

You could also go by way of Missoula and take Hwy 93 south to Salmon, Idaho and do the pretty drive toward Challis and Stanley, ID then south to Sun Valley/Ketchum, ID. So much to do in the area! Idaho is a favorite of ours.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Blue Moon Saloon and RV Park, Cameron, MT S of Ennis, N of W Jellystone.

World Famous Dirty Shame Saloon, Yaak, MT

Any Stockmans Bar in any Montana town!!!

And anything in between!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #7

Thanks fro reply, will go thru KY to see wifes family , all those places you guys are mentioning look interesting .
Old 02-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Wheat Montana Bakery in 3 Forks MT. and dry camping @ the truckstop across the I-90..while you pig out on the baked goods.................
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #9

So I will fast a few days before I get there.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #10

Not far from Mt. Rushmore is the Badlands. Worth the drive through. But do not miss the “Going to the Sun” scenic drive at Glacier. You cannot drive it with an RV.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #11

Man, I appreciate all these suggestions , shoot , I thing I,ll just go tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #12

All above is great advice. Flathead Lake in MT is wonderful. There is a national bison reserve in the area. Worth a drive through. If you make it to Kalispell, head into the little town of Whitefish. Also, take a drive up the mountain to the ski resort.

We will be in KY later this year also for a family reunion (in Kentucky’s Ohio County ...not far from Owensboro). I would suggest a few days at the KY Horsepark Campground if you travel through Lexington. If you do stay there, be sure to use a water pressure regulator. They have really high water pressure. Base camp there and see the horse park and surrounding horse breeding farms. There is a small college town called Berea nearby. Great Arts and Crafts. Bought my mountain dulcimer there from a true craftsman. If you pull a toad, get on the Bourbon Trail.

Travel safely!
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #13

Here's some more ideas:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/montana
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Wheat Montana Bakery in 3 Forks MT. and dry camping @ the truckstop across the I-90..while you pig out on the baked goods.................
X2 on Wheat Montana. I-90,,exit 273, west of Three Forks. The Pilot Truck Stop lot across the freeway is large. You can park way back and be away from all the reefer noise.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana