Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #1

Must see RV destinations in New England

Hello All
Yea yea I know its mid January, but I can think of no better time to start looking for new destinations for the up coming season. What is your favorite "must go to RV spot" in the New England area?
Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #2

I am going to drop the RV spot from your request and place in the mix ...must see places that I repeat each trip... I love Magic Hat Brewery...New England Culinary Restaurants (there are more than one), King Arthur Flour, Ben and Jerry's Ice cream Factory, Budweiser Plant (Clydesdale farm)...Cabot Creamery....and there is so much more.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

The past 2 years we have spent a week at Fransted Campgrounf in Franconia NH and did all kinds of things in the White Mountains along Franconia Notch and the Kancamangus Highway. Also like to spend time at Old Orchard Beach Maine, plenty to do between the beach and amusements in the area. Many campgrounds to pick from.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #4

I want to see Chicago area this summer. Looking for campgrounds within an hour. Also like area where you can get train or public transportation. Any suggestions?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #5

Oops, didn't realize this was for New England.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #6

The only reason it's hard to say what to see is that there is so much. If you like museums there are several big ones and many not so big but all good. If you want outdoors there is more than you have time for. Ditto history, ditto fancy, ditto shopping, ditto whatever. I just Google Tourism for any state and see what's listed then go from there. Come up with some ideas and folks here can tell you what they thought. ;-)
Old 01-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I'll 2nd Ben and Jerry's Ice cream Factory tour in North Central VT.

Also:

~ Stowe Toll road to the summit of Mtn Mansfield. The paved road takes you to a notch near the summit. From there it is about a 45 minute hike along the ridge above tree line to the 4393' summit (highest in VT.)

~ Stowe bike path. Goes from just before the ski area to the town of Stowe. All paved with many bridges.

~ Smugglers Notch road. Cool road that is only open in the 3 seasons that connects Stowe and Smugglers Notch ski areas. Nicely paved with a few big boulders you drive around going over the pass.

~ The Vermont Maple museum just north of Rutland. (Pittsford)

~ Between Rutland VT. and Stowe VT. there are many things to keep a person exploring for a week or two.

~ Magic Hat brewery just south of Burlington. Otter Creek brewery (Middlebury) Long Trail Brewery (Bridgewater Corners)

Just made 22 days of reservations for NE. PA. and VT for this Aug.

We stay at Lake Dunmore's Kamperville campground and take day trips from there. Will also book end that with two VT. State Parks.

Pics from our 2010 Vermont trip
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #8

Superslif...Awesome call on the Stowe bike path...it is unique. You can pedal almost into the Crop Bistro and Brewery....which used to have a different name.... and did you ever pull the trailer up over Smugglers Notch? On my last visit the road had just opened as a spring was approaching....I drove up and it was snowing so hard I could hardly see my way around the boulders.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some great suggestions. One note from a former Vermonter. Smuggler's Notch is beautiful,but not a place for trailers, or motorhomes. VPR: Highway through Smugglers’ Notch is no place for trucks
Old 01-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #10

Just a few off the top of my head.
Letchworth SP at the top of the Finger Lakes region, NY. Phenomenal water falls.
Acadia NP in Main. If you like hiking, this is the place.
MinuteMan NP and Battel Road, near Concord Mass.
Gettysburg National Military Park. Do NOT miss the cyclorama painting and display.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #11

Most CG do not open until May or later and book fast.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
did you ever pull the trailer up over Smugglers Notch?
NO !! you can't take any trailers over Smugglers Notch pass. There is a small parking lot at the top of the pass. On the way back down I held my camera out the sunroof filming my drive back around the boulders on the way down.

Quote:
Awesome call on the Stowe bike path...it is unique. You can pedal almost into the Crop Bistro and Brewery
I have my wife drop us off near the ski area with the bikes and it is semi-downhill 5.3 miles back to downtown Stowe. (Stowe bike path map) ( video of bike path )

Another good stop 3 miles south of Stowe is Cold Hollow Cider Mill (free samples). Free samples of a whole lot of items there. Two miles south of that is the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream plant tour, rated as one of the best plant tours in the country. If you have the RV in tow, they do have a good area to park the RV. (picture of RV lot)
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #13

Superslif....I have indeed made stop at the Cold Hollow Cider Mill... the general store is a quaint diversion.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The White Mountains in NH are beautiful in the summer. There are a number of private, state and NPS campgrounds close by. Activities include driving or taking the cog railroad up Mount Washington (drive only with your toad!), shopping in nearby Conway, riding the gondola up Wildcat Mountain, hiking the Appalachian Trail, fishing and just chilling out. June, July and August are the warmest months to go if you are going by RV.