Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #1

Myrtle Beach

Ocean Lakes In Myrtle Beach. What is the best route from Dayton, Ohio Rt. 75 or going through West Virginia? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

Google Maps indicates going through WV is about 90 miles shorter, and takes a bit less time.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #3

Ok I'm going the WV route, does anyone know any good places to overnight on the way there? Or anything that would be interesting to see on the way.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
Ocean Lakes In Myrtle Beach. What is the best route from Dayton, Ohio Rt. 75 or going through West Virginia? Thanks
Take US35 all the way to I64 and go through WV that way. I64 and I77 will team up then seperate later. You'll want to be on I77 going south after awhile. There is 15-20 mile stretch of US35 that is only 2 lane when you get into WV but it moves OK. That's the only bad section (read slow) when crossing the state. If you're going to overnight it probably won't be in WV, you'll probably get to VA or NC. I would check in those states for overnight places. Good luck on your trip.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post
Take US35 all the way to I64 and go through WV that way. I64 and I77 will team up then seperate later. You'll want to be on I77 going south after awhile. There is 15-20 mile stretch of US35 that is only 2 lane when you get into WV but it moves OK. That's the only bad section (read slow) when crossing the state. If you're going to overnight it probably won't be in WV, you'll probably get to VA or NC. I would check in those states for overnight places. Good luck on your trip.
That last stretch of 35 was a narrow, rutted, bouncing road when we were last thru there 2 years ago. They were doing road improvements above it so thought they would have completed that by now.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
That last stretch of 35 was a narrow, rutted, bouncing road when we were last thru there 2 years ago. They were doing road improvements above it so thought they would have completed that by now.
It's fixed now. Very nice & smooth, plus they widened the berms. There was some guardrail repair being done close to the Buffalo bridge exit area a couple weeks ago. But that was mostly night work.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #7

Darn near blew everything up

I got to Ocean Lakes, Monday. Hooked everything up fine, except the grey and black water tank hose. And I did that the next day. When I, did I noticed the 50 amp cord wasn't tight in the receptical. So I pushed it in, went inside the coach and washed a few cups and I noticed the clock on the coffee pot started blinking on an off rapidly and then the air conditioner cut off, then came on. Then I heard a snap, I unplugged everything as fast as I could, cut off the air and went out to see what was going on. The plug was kind of loose, again I pushed it back in. The circuit breaker flipped off, so I flipped it back on and nothing worked. To make a story short, it blew, both TV's, my DVD player and the micro/convection oven. I called a electriction and everything in the coach was good. No short circuits. He wasn't allowed to work on the 50 amp plug but I showed him what was happening. Also when I would just touch the cord while plugged in, how it would go on and off. Also when I plugged in the 30 amp, everything worked great. I called the desk at Ocean Lakes told them what happened and after disputing with the electriction he finally changed the 50 amp receptical. Now everything works like it should, except all of the damage that occurred all though I was able to fix the DVD player. I took it a part and it had a blown fuse, about what I excepted. I used to do TV and stereo repair Ocean Lakes said they will turn it into their insurance co. I sure hope they cover this or it is going to be one expensive trip.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
I got to Ocean Lakes, Monday. Hooked everything up fine, except the grey and black water tank hose. And I did that the next day. When I, did I noticed the 50 amp cord wasn't tight in the receptical. So I pushed it in, went inside the coach and washed a few cups and I noticed the clock on the coffee pot started blinking on an off rapidly and then the air conditioner cut off, then came on. Then I heard a snap, I unplugged everything as fast as I could, cut off the air and went out to see what was going on. The plug was kind of loose, again I pushed it back in. The circuit breaker flipped off, so I flipped it back on and nothing worked. To make a story short, it blew, both TV's, my DVD player and the micro/convection oven. I called a electriction and everything in the coach was good. No short circuits. He wasn't allowed to work on the 50 amp plug but I showed him what was happening. Also when I would just touch the cord while plugged in, how it would go on and off. Also when I plugged in the 30 amp, everything worked great. I called the desk at Ocean Lakes told them what happened and after disputing with the electriction he finally changed the 50 amp receptical. Now everything works like it should, except all of the damage that occurred all though I was able to fix the DVD player. I took it a part and it had a blown fuse, about what I excepted. I used to do TV and stereo repair Ocean Lakes said they will turn it into their insurance co. I sure hope they cover this or it is going to be one expensive trip.
The plug was most likely giving you a floating/ open neutral condition and causing some of your appliances to get an input of up to 240 VAC. While you are into this experience go ahead and put a Progressive EMS just in front of the transfer switch.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #9

The old receptical was worn out especially the hole the gnd. pin went in. You would think they would check those things now and then knowing that they are used thousands of times.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The old receptical was worn out especially the hole the gnd. pin went in. You would think they would check those things now and then knowing that they are used thousands of times.
We go to MB and stay at Ocean Lakes at least twice a year. I know they are a high volume RV park so I always inspect the pedestal before I plug in. I also have a surge guard on the coach that verifies appropriate power before it will let voltage pass to the transfer switch. If you don't have some sort of power/surge protection on your coach, would strongly suggest you add it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We go to MB and stay at Ocean Lakes at least twice a year. I know they are a high volume RV park so I always inspect the pedestal before I plug in. I also have a surge guard on the coach that verifies appropriate power before it will let voltage pass to the transfer switch. If you don't have some sort of power/surge protection on your coach, would strongly suggest you add it.
Where did you get yours Camping World? Thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Where did you get yours Camping World? Thanks
You can get them at Camping World but I usually get my accessories from RV Upgrades which is a sponsor of IRV2 and they are good folks....good prices, ship quickly, real people answer the phone.

My current coach came from the factory with the Surge Guard.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the directions to Ocean Lakes. We got home last night, then we unloaded today. My wife wrote here about our experience with Ocean Lakes. Today I got a letter from them, saying there was nothing wrong with the receptacle, which is a bunch of crap! So, I made an appointment with an attorney for tomorrow. Plus I will report them to the BBB. I know I can fix all of the things that got damaged, it's the principal, not to treat people like that. If I would have just left it in the 30 amp and let the 50 amp go, the next person would have probably had more damage. If I thought that it was something I did or it was something from the coach side of it, I would suck up and fix it with nothing said. Let me give you an example of how dumb their electrician is. After he replaced the receptacle I took the old one and plugged my cord in it and said look how loose this is. Then I ask him to do a continuity check between ground of the receptacle and the ground pin of my plug, while I moved the plug around and his response was, what would that do. Enough said!!! Plus when I called a electrician and showed him how my work light would go on and off every time I touched the plug, when it was in the 50 amp receptacle. That is all he needed. He checked everything on my coach and cleared everything. I know I'm long winded here, but this is important, if I had not been there it could have caused a fire. And possibly burnt my RV up and some next to me day or night. Ps, as you can see I won't let this go.