Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Myrtle Beach CGs

We will be in Myrtle Beach the 30th of this month and have found Myrtle Beach SP and Briarcliffe RV Resort (Passport America) campgrounds. Both look pretty good and are not too far from MB and the seafood eating activities.

Does anyone have any experience with these two or have other recommendations on any others CGs close in to MB. We will be staying there for a week starting the 30th of this month...Warm weather on order! Thanks Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #2

Do a search for Ocean Lakes CG. I've never stayed there (prefer state parks) but others I know think it's great. And unless you really want to be real close to MB shopping (and traffic) take a look at Huntington Beach State Park between Murrells Inlet and Pawley's Island. Great beach, nice marsh boardwalk, close to excellent seafood, across the road from Brookgreen Gardens.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #3

We have stayed a little farther North at Apache campground since I was a little boy. The sites are smaller than some of the other campgrounds, but they do have a nice pier if you are into fishing. It is still close enough to all of the food and other attractions.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
wildtoad and Stump Jumper...Thanks for the QUICK replies! Can't get any closer to the beach than BOTH Oceans CG and Apache! Gad! I also checked out both Myrtle Beach SP and Huntington Beach SP...both have FULL hook-ups. WOW! A little unusual for a SP... I wish Florida would follow SC's lead in that respect. Thanks again Bob

Old 11-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #5

Full hookups are rare at most SC state parks too. I guess these are high traffic areas catering to some of the larger rigs. Have a great stay whichever CG you choose.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've stayed at both Briarcliff and Ocean Lakes, multiple times. Liked them both for different reasons.

Ocean Lakes is right on the beach and is very large and well run. Far enough below the honkey tonk of Myrtle for me. Great beach.

Briarcliff, passport discount is good, sites are decent sized, is Not on the beach but in a good main drag location between Myrtle Bch proper and N Myrtle. I met lots of nice friendly folks at Briarcliff.

Will be back to both of them over the next year.

enjoy
jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #7

Ocean Lakes, Lakewood and Pirateland. All 3 are connected right on the beach.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #8

Ocean Lakes and Pirateland are both excellent and places we visit several times during the year with grandkids..............friendly and professional staff !
scgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Man, oh man. It is really nice to know that I really can't go wrong with ANY of the above mentioned campgrounds. I'm starting to really look forward to our stay in Myrtle Beach! My sincere thanks to all...this site ROCKS! Bob

Old 11-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ocean Lakes if you want to stay on the southern end and Myrtle Beach Travel Park if you want to stay on the northern end. Both have ocean front sites. Ocean Lakes is more 'high end' with many concrete pads, indoor pool, fishing ponds, etc. Apache is OK if you are into pier fishing....IMO Apache is all about the pier and not much about the campground itself.

As far as seafood, most of the 'seafood' restaurants in Myrtle Beach are not that great. However, travel a few miles south to Murrell's Inlet and find the best seafood restaurant like Nance's. There is also a great seafood place in Surfside called the Gulf Stream.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jan & Bob.......You know all the options available, it's what suits your needs. Myself, I like to pull on the concrete pad right next to the Ocean, hit the jack button and get out after driving for several hours.
We found Oceanlake's by accident 8 yrs ago, and have been twice yearly ever since. We like it for the SECURITY and the professional way it's run.
You like seafood, go to NIBIL'S in Surfside Beach next to the boardwalk...........you won't be disappointed. Hwy 501 into Myrtle Beach area, turn right on Hwy 544 approxmately 10 miles, you will dead end @ hwy 17 right in front of Oceanlakes. JMHO, enjoy wherever you stay, it's a wonderful place. Travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
... IF You like seafood, go to NIBIL'S in Surfside Beach next to the boardwalk...........you won't be disappointed. Hwy 501 into Myrtle Beach area, turn right on Hwy 544 approximately 10 miles, you will dead end @ hwy 17 right in front of Oceanlakes. JMHO, enjoy wherever you stay, it's a wonderful place. Travel safe.
justimagination, Did you know that Nibils lost their lease on the pier and they are moving? It's been in the News here quite a lot. At the end of this month Nibils will be moving downtown.

If you are staying at Ocean Lakes you will want to go for lunch at Joey Doggs, the home of the "Doggfather." (Yes one of the owners is from Jersey) It's the foot long dog that you won't soon forget! Yet then again there's the ever popular "Doggie Bowl"

Joey Doggs is located about 1/4 of a mile on the right side of route 17 heading south (left out of the campground). Get off at the 1st ramp to the access road and JDs will be in a small shopping complex next to Pottery and the ABC store.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
OK then...sounds like there are more than enough options both in campgrounds and good places to eat. I called some of the CGs mentioned and all say they have plenty of available sites. I'm thinking while Larry's Auto Clinic is preforming the brake recall, we'll take the Jeep and visit our 'top picks' and decide then. Our thanks to everyone for your help. Bob

Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have stayed at Myrtle Beach Travel Park about 5 times the last 15 years including this past Aug for 9 nights. Here are few pix MB Aug 10' There are so many places to eat within a few miles.....The summer rate came out to $74 including taxes. The rate now is $36 + taxes.....All sites are full service with cable.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote