Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Myrtle Beach in Dec/Jan?

They seem to have plenty of RV parks in Myrtle Beach - Pirateland, Lakewood, Ocean Lakes, Apache Pier - They all look like they're essentially on the beach. Any recommendations of one over the other? (We're going in the winter, not summer).

Barb & Mike - Two Air Force Retirees
2016 Coachman Chaparral QSMB, 2010 Dodge Ram 3500

BDHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I've only been to Apache and Ocean Lakes. I liked Ocean Lakes better. The sites are small and tight together on the beach. Alot of people like MB Travel Park. We are going to Cypress Camping Resort, which is a new park on the Intercoastal Waterway. You may want to look at that park. Hope this helps.

Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
I have been to Ocean Lakes a few times and Lakewood only once. Tend to like Ovean Lakes.
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by BDHunter View Post
They seem to have plenty of RV parks in Myrtle Beach - Pirateland, Lakewood, Ocean Lakes, Apache Pier - They all look like they're essentially on the beach. Any recommendations of one over the other? (We're going in the winter, not summer).

we have a condo between Ocean Lakes and Lakewood CG. We also have stayed at both campgrounds. Both are fine but at Lakewood, around thanksgiving the horse people have been there and they miss a lot of fertilizer when they clean up after they're animals. Don't know if they will be there this year. As far as the beach is concerned, the time of the year you plan on being there is not ideal beach weather. Plenty of good restaurants in the area tho. If you want concrete pads Ocean Lakes has them.
WIT# 34347
lakewoodpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We have stayed at Myrtle Beach Travel Park the last 5 times. I find them to be a little lower keyed and not as packed in. MBTP is north of Myrtle and south of North Myrtle near Bearfoot Landing. Here are a few pixs from 2 years ago Myrtle Beach 2010
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have stayed at Apache, Myrtle Beach Travel Park and Ocean Lakes. Apache is crowded and the focus is on the fishing pier. We prefer Ocean Lakes. There are a lot of concrete pads but if you prefer more of a shaded area with trees, they have that too. They have everything....indoor pool, game room, nice laundromat, spotlessly clean bath houses and good security. They really do it well. You can get spots very near the ocean or some distance away....your choice.

We've been there several times at Christmas and NY. Weather can be really nice or cold and blustery. Overall, it will be warmer than many places but it is not Florida.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Ocean Lakes, couple of bucks more a night but we thought it was worth it.
2010 Dutch Star 4333
2009 Honda Accord- Brakemaster
what next is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
I'm going to ocean lakes next week and I have been for new years a little cool but still fun.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Parks at Myrtle Beach

We have stayed at all of them and Ocean Lakes is our park of choice, Lakewood would be a close second but something about the paved sites makes it nice in the winter.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Just spent weekend

For about the, I don't know how many hundreth time, we spent the weekend at Myrtle Beach Travel Park. Love the location, I live less than 1 1/2 hours away and spend a lot of time camping there. We have tried many different spots there over the past 22 years and like this best. If you prefer the convenience of a paved site, forget this place, they have none. But for location, access to beach, restaurants, attractions and shopping it is tough to beat. I am greatfull they FINALLY got a computer system for reservations, but they are still peculiar about reserving a site.

Gets fairly busy now even in off season, as they close down a big portion fo the campground. I remember years back we would go for a weekend in Jan or Feb and there would only be a hand full of people in the whole park. NOT the case now, snowbirds abound!

Try it out, I am sure you will like it. The indoor heated pool is a nice treat on those cold winter days!
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Was at Ocean Lakes for Christmas and the place was empty. Lakewood is my second choice. Drove thru pirateland and was not impressed. Going back to Ocean lakes in Feb.
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
I've only stayed at Pirateland (twice), but next time we'll go to Myrtle Beach Travel Park.

At Pirateland, you're either close to the pool or close to the beach, which probably explains the overabundance of golf carts. Golf Cart rentals are fine, but the permanents drive around with radios turned full blast in theirs. People driving them around and you wonder if they're even old enough to have a driver's license (a requirement!). If that's your cup of tea, I'd suggest Pirateland.

Doing the drive-thru at Travel Park, I loved the fact that I didn't see one single golf cart. Plenty of sites that are close to both the pool and beach, restaurant, washroom/showers and site size was similar to, if not bigger than, Pirateland.

dieharder is offline   Reply With Quote