Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Nasty Weather & Tornadoes

Hello:

Traveling to Florida, currently in Georgia, have about 700 miles to go on I-75 S. Weather man is calling for severe thunderstorms, possibly tornadoes. Any suggestions on where to go/what to do for shelter? We're in a 35' class A motorhome. Thank you.

Rose
Rp1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #2

Exit 135 near Perry, GA Fair Harbor Campground. We're under a Tornado watch until 3:00 PM. Tornado type weather for early morning Sunday as well.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #3

We have been at CGs that told us what building to shelter in if tornado sirens went off. Had to do it one night for about 15 minutes (usually in the rain after dark). Had to crate cats to take with us. Not fun.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

We had a strong microburst wind storm come thru my area last year, and the local TV news had a aerial video of a campgrd that was struck. I noticed all the towables were over-turned, and all the motorized rvs were still upright. I think that is a commonly overlooked advantage of a motorhome over a towable, the added weight makes them less susceptible to wind turnovers. I spent my first 30 years on the prairies of Nebraska, so I have great respect for tornadoes, and have spent time in basements and cellars because of this.

That's why I bought a motorhome with pass-thru basement storage so I can go down there in case of a storm!

But seriously, keep your eyes on the skies and ears to the local radio, and maybe stop and wait out severe weather at a place where there would be shelter, maybe even a Wallmart or equivalent.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #5

If you're in a campground the best thing to do is ask where you should go for a storm shelter. Quite often, it's the public restroom as they usually are made of concrete blocks. We've spent many a night in the restrooms in Alabama state parks. Everyone knows the drill....bring a flashlight, camp chair, weather radio, water, snacks, a deck of cards. Men and women go in the same restroom.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We just pulled into St. Andrews state park in Panama City Florida. We are under a watch here as well and currently experiences some heavy thunderstorms with some wind but no hail. To our north there is a more sever cell but it is moving away and into Georgia. We are going to "shelter in place" for the next 48 hours. The block house bathroom is 20 yards away

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #7

My plan has always been to head to a Walmart or other 24 hr store for shelter. Bathrooms,food and relatively safe.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #8

Wal Mart? Like this?

Confirmed Tornado in Troy, Alabama, Tears Through Wal-Mart - NBC News
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First if you have not already done so take your SMART phone to the APP STORE and type in NOAA, download the NOAA weather app (Radar is good if you are used to looking at radar maps)

Then go to your choice of Appliance store, Radio Shack, Wal*mart, Best Buy and so on, Get a WEATHER/ALL HAZARDAS alert radio and set it up in "Travel" mode (or simply do not program in a location code).

I like radios where I can hook up an external antenna, but it's optional.

Now, for the night, any campground but when registering ASK where the shelter is.. And if the radio or phone gets overly annoying (Tornado WARNING, headed toward you) TAKE SHELTER NOW, don't wait, MOVE it.

Done that just once in 11 years.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Exactly. No one killed, three injured and one of them was inside a truck in the parking lot. Also if its really bad I stand near a column. Much safer than many places, and nothing is a sure bet.😁😁

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Looks like the Walmart here in Warner Robins, GA that got hit today. Roof caved in but everybody was sheltered in the bathrooms and there were no injuries. After the storm the news showed people wading through ankle deep water to exit the store but the lights were still working so they could see where they were going.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #12

I'm a native of Warner Robins. WR has had several direct hits through the years. I wander if the twisters hit there, before there was a town?
MoJoGraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:15 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Night here went well some heavy rain showers and some wind but that is it. South Georgia got hit pretty good with up to 11 tornados. Here just outside of Panama City ... rain.

Yes you should get a NOAH weather radio. Ours has three power sources including a hand crank so never "out of service"

Yesterday I loaded this app on my phone and it has great information as well as up to the minute radar. It pin points your location (phone GPS) so you know exactly what is coming

Weather by WeatherBug - Android Apps on Google Play

I am sure there is an Apple one as well

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #14

A little late in thanking everyone for your suggestions. We made it here ok, took it nice and slow but it was very nerve-wrecking. Appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.

Rose
Rp1955 is offline   Reply With Quote