Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

Natchez Trace

I'm considering driving my 32' MH on the Natchez Trace in the first or second week of May.

Can anyone tell me what to do on or near "The Trace" ? Where to camp, places to see and what to avoid.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We just returned from the Trace about two weeks ago. We stayed several days at Natchez State Park (full hook-ups and very reasonable, need reservations) and enjoyed the Natchez area (antebellum homes and antique shops). We drove up the Trace (speed limit 50) and stopped at a couple of points of interest until we reached Jeff Busby State Park for a free night (no hook-ups). We turned off at Tupelo.
It was a very pleasant and beautiful drive, no 18-wheelers, no fast driving.
There is a lot of information on the internet that should be helpful.

LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't been there in years but thought it was the most beautiful and pleasant drive I have been on .. and I have been all round the US and many parts of the world. Wish there were more scenic roads like Natchez Trace. No commercial vehicles, no advertisements.. just a scenic drive.

Give us a write up of your drive.. don't think I have seen one on here yet. take your time and enjoy
Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Larry re: Natchez State Park although I my notes say no sewer.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
I agree with Larry re: Natchez State Park although I my notes say no sewer.
Most of the spaces have no sewer. There are 3 sections, A, B, and C. A has sewer and there are about 8-10 spaces. When you reserve be sure to specify that you want sewer.
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #6

We always stay just across the river from Natchez in River View RV Park in Vidalia La.. It is on the levee over looking the Mississippi River. You can watch boats pass on the river from inside your RV. Also a paved walkway along the river a mile long passes under the bridge. Much closer to Natchez the the state park. I think all sites are full hook up most pull through. It is owned by the town of Vidalia and patrolled by the city police.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
We always stay just across the river from Natchez in River View RV Park in Vidalia La.. It is on the levee over looking the Mississippi River. You can watch boats pass on the river from inside your RV. Also a paved walkway along the river a mile long passes under the bridge. Much closer to Natchez the the state park. I think all sites are full hook up most pull through. It is owned by the town of Vidalia and patrolled by the city police.
Stayed there several times. Ask for a site on the south side. Better viewing of river.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #8

If I remember right, our golden age passport got us a discount at Natchez trace state park. And Longwood is a must see. Enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #9

I road the trace (motorcycle) and recommend the waterfall just above the TN border. The house of either Lewis or Clark (can't remember which) near falls. The French village in MS. And be sure to stop at a couple of the 'historic trace' pulloffs. I stopped at one and it was amazing

Not far off the trace is Muscle Shoals if that is your type of thing.

Also I am a huge fan of Roadside America if you are into unusual stuff. I have found some really neat stuff like WWII subs in addition to stuff like the flying saucer house in Chattanooga. Just be warned sometimes the directions or reviews are dated or inaccurate.

On the north end be cautious of wild life in the evening.

Hope you enjoy it, as the drive is pleasant.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #10

Just left the Trace a few days ago. Have a 39ft 5th wheel. Got on at Tupelo heading north. Stayed a few weeks at Natchez Trace Preserve (Thousand Trails) near the Meriwether Lewis memorial side. Then headed the remaining route north to Nashville. Although there is not much to see when traveling on the Trace, we liked that it was a nice pace (mostly 50 mph) with very little cars. Just put it in cruise control and relax and enjoy the trip.
. As for what we did when staying at the campground, the Meriwether Lewis memorial was real nice. Did a 5 mile hike along the perimeter trail with goes along part of the Little Swan River, which was worth it. Came back and had lunch at the picnic area which is right on the river. Stopped at a few other nearby historic areas, which were ok. A couple of waterfalls about 7 miles to the north of Lewis was pretty nice, just off the road, but the short walk to the base is a little steep. The best waterfall was Jackson Falls about 20 miles further north. Less than a 1/4 mile walk on a fairly steep concrete path leads to a very nice two level falls. Highly recommended! There are a few other stops that have picnic tables along one of the many small streams. In addition, I road cycle and did a total of about 100 miles. On the parkway cyclists have the right of way and since there are very few vehicles that use the Trace, it is a perfect place to get in a few rides.
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429673220.000660.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  192.1 KB
Old 04-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
If you like history, The Trace is the Place!

There are pullouts/markers all along the trace but, be advised: Most of them would be rather tight for a 32-footer.

If you want to travel the entire length, you will find it necessary to get off the Trace to locate a commercial campground. Other than Natchez and Jeff Busby, there is no public camping on the Trace proper in Mississippi. I haven't been on the Trace north of Tupelo and am aching to travel it all since it was completed around Jackson several years ago.

I +2 a stay at River View in Vidalia. Play the Doobie Brothers' "Black Water" and you'll get a feel for the place! ["Well I built me a raft and she's ready for floatin'... Aw, Miss-i-ssip-pi, She's cawlin' my name!" ]

If you can arrange it, I would stay a minimum of 5 days just to tour all the wonderful homes in Natchez!

Tags
ace