Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #1

My wife and I have been in Northeast Arizona, on a Navajo Reservation for the past week. There are some Anasazi Cliff Dwellings hidden in Canyon de Chelly which just amaze us. These ancient structures are beautiful to photograph for their age and beauty and it seems we could stay here for a few weeks longer, but cold weather is on its way, so we have headed south already.

There is a campground, Cottonwood Campground right outside the Canyon, that is free. Granted it doesnt have any hook-ups, but does have a dump station, a community water supply, and restrooms. We are set up for boondocking with an array of solar panels, so it was perfect for us. Free is always the best kind of campgrounds!!

Aerial View of Mummy Cave which is one of the largest, best preserved cliff dwellings in the Canyon

White House Ruins is able to be hiked to and is the only ruin you don't need a Navajo guide while in the National Monument.

Another shot of White House Ruin with a cotton wood in fall color

Most of the ruins have some perfectly preserved petroglyphs

The cliff walls are painted magnificently and act as a beautiful backdrop for photography.

If you hire a Navajo guide, and have a capable 4x4, you can drive down into the canyon. It is well worth it and the best way to get close-up shots of most of the ruins. It is also very rough on the truck. Plan on crossing the stream in a few dozen places sometimes up to the bottom of your doors.

Full Gallery can be seen Here

Pat

Every Miles A Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #2

My wife and I have been in Northeast Arizona, on a Navajo Reservation for the past week. There are some Anasazi Cliff Dwellings hidden in Canyon de Chelly which just amaze us. These ancient structures are beautiful to photograph for their age and beauty and it seems we could stay here for a few weeks longer, but cold weather is on its way, so we have headed south already.

There is a campground, Cottonwood Campground right outside the Canyon, that is free. Granted it doesnt have any hook-ups, but does have a dump station, a community water supply, and restrooms. We are set up for boondocking with an array of solar panels, so it was perfect for us. Free is always the best kind of campgrounds!!

Aerial View of Mummy Cave which is one of the largest, best preserved cliff dwellings in the Canyon

White House Ruins is able to be hiked to and is the only ruin you don't need a Navajo guide while in the National Monument.

Another shot of White House Ruin with a cotton wood in fall color

Most of the ruins have some perfectly preserved petroglyphs

The cliff walls are painted magnificently and act as a beautiful backdrop for photography.

If you hire a Navajo guide, and have a capable 4x4, you can drive down into the canyon. It is well worth it and the best way to get close-up shots of most of the ruins. It is also very rough on the truck. Plan on crossing the stream in a few dozen places sometimes up to the bottom of your doors.

Full Gallery can be seen Here

Pat

Old 11-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, gorgeous photos, thank you for sharing! Looks like it was a fabulous stay, and it's always good to know about a free park! Beautiful!

Brenda, of...
Old 11-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great photos. We traveled through Monument Valley two years ago and were absolutely taken with the mysterious beauty of that part of Utah/Arizona. We would love to come back to that area and spend more time seeing more.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Great shots!! Those photos bring back some great memories of when we were back there in Oct <STRIKE>1989</STRIKE> (Sacs pointed out to me it was 1988! )...I think... We have always recommmended that anyone in that area make it to Canyon de Chelly!
We did not have a 4wd and did NOT take the cattle-call drive in the group truck.. but we DID hike down...
..there is so much history all over the USA.. and this just happens to be a piece of American Indian History... if you are in the area.. I also highly recommend it!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:21 AM   #6

If anyone does go, I dont know if I would recommend the Shake & Bake routine of hiring a driver to take you in. I would only go in your own 4x4.

We passed one that was just flying through the canyon, and when I asked our guide why they go so fast, she said "Why do you think we call them Shake & Bakes?"

THanks for the kudos on the photos

Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Sure beats the view I have from my MH. That is the one from a MH winterized and sitting behind the garage waiting for Spring.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Nice website, every miles! I particularly like the funny signs pictures. When I get a chance, I'll send you one to add to your collection.

Brenda, of...
Old 12-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Went there at the end of October I think it was really pretty there.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #10

Hey Brenda, thanks for thinking of us. Please send us any cool or unusual signs you have. We're always on the look out for them.

Capt. Dan, we must have just missed each other because we were there right around the same time.

Sure is pretty country!

Pat