Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #1

Looking for a campground within 1/2 hr. of Youngstown Ohio. Preferably with limited "seasonal or permanent sites" A state park would work just need elec. hook ups for weekend camping. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #2

Looking for a campground within 1/2 hr. of Youngstown Ohio. Preferably with limited "seasonal or permanent sites" A state park would work just need elec. hook ups for weekend camping. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Mosquito state park is just north of Youngstown.
Havent been there myself, but heard it is nice.
Just has elec. hookups.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:55 AM   #4

Mosquito Lake is nice. Good fishing on the lake...it's pretty big. Another one is Berlin Lake east of Youngstown. That's a Federal campground with large sites, lots of trees, and modern amenities. Not sure about full hookups we were tenting. Berlin is quite large with good fishing and waterskiing.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #5

Thanks you for the replies We found Paradise Lake campground and are going to try that one. I've never stayed at a state or federal campground, How are the reservations taken. Do you have to call early or can you just "show up"? Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
For state parks, go to: www.ohiodnr.com
and look up the particular campground.
I dont really consider Paradise Lake that close to Youngstown and I personally dont think it is that nice of a park. A lot of seasonals and not that well cared for. Just my opinion.
Mike
Old 01-29-2006, 06:45 AM   #7

You can just show up or make reservations. The link above from Islapp is good and here's another one for federal sites http://www.reserveusa.com/. Ohio has a great number of inland lakes run by the Corps of Army Engineers and the ODNR. These campgrounds are always on the water and have facilities of varying comfort. Small watershed lakes like Leesville have tiny campgrounds with minimal amenities, good fishing and horsepower limits, and larger compounds like Berlin, Mosquito, and Alum Creek have showers, full hookups, waterskiing, etc. Most of the private campgrounds in Ohio have either man-made lakes or glacial kettle ponds of dubious clarity and poor fishing.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #8

Hi, I live in Alliance and Paradise Lake is quite a ways from Yougstown. There are several other campground nearer according to The Ohio Camper Guide. Just go to www.ohiocamper.com to look for yourself. We stayed at the Country Acres Campground several years ago for a weekend, saw alot of seasonal campers on-site. So you might want to rethink your traveling distance to Youngstown from Paradise Lake.

Phoneman

Tina('65)
Phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
For Ohio, East Rochester (where Paradise Lake is) is closer to 45min-1hr away from Youngstown depending on what side of Youngstown you're on. Mosquito Lake SP (NW of Youngstown) would be the closest camping at about 30 minutes. Even West Branch SP (almost due W) at 40 minutes would be closer than Paradise Lake. West Branch has full h/u sites & is easy to get to off of I-76 that runs out of Youngstown. Those are my opinions.
On the PA side, Rosepoint Park in New Castle is in that 1/2hr window you were looking for. You could try them.
L-
P.S. Hey Phoneman & Gruss - Nice to see new persons in the area. Check out the regional chapter section. There's a really active group (Pond Piggies) that has folks in or near the NE OH/W PA area that get together a lot for camping throughout the season. We'd love to have you join us. We're a good bunch with a mix of families & couples that are always looking for new faces to meet. Keep tabs on our regional chapter for news of upcoming get-togethers. We'd welcome you.
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:03 AM   #10

Gruss:

After our house sold last April, we stayed at a campgound north of Salem-south of Canfield, Ohio while I finished the final month of my job in downtown Youngstown. We stayed here:http://www.chaparralfamilycampground.com/

It worked out OK, but was not the greatest. It was close to Y-town and very quiet. No planes, trains, or auto traffc. Price was nice on a monthly basis.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #11

I need some help for a campground in this area. I will be meeting friends and the OH-PA border is about the 1/2 way point. Either of us can be on either I80 or I76.

We both has smaller kids and are looking for a place that has a pool and lots of activities for the kids. Any recommendations in the border area?

Bill Christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Bill,
I really dont have anything else to offer other than what is posted above. There arent that many right in that area. Especially if you are looking for a pool.
Mike
Old 03-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:
Bill,
I really dont have anything else to offer other than what is posted above. There arent that many right in that area. Especially if you are looking for a pool.
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the information.

After looking at a map closer Youngstown loooks to be on the Western edge of center. If we moved 30 - 60 min east of Youngstown is there more to offer specially for kids with a pool?

Bill Christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Bill,
Here's another possibility, there is a KOA near Mercer, PA just off I-79. It is one exit south of I-80. They have a pool and the place is very well kept. We stay there every year while we are visiting family in the area. They also have activities geared toward kids such as hayrides. On Saturday mornings the local Amish women sell fresh baked goods right at the campground.

I know all KOA's are not created equal, but this is a good one.