Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #15

Skyline Drive is a national park and has an entrance fee (last time we were there, it was $15 for 7 days so safe your receipt) and continues on as the Blue Ridge Parkway. We stayed at Shenandoah River State Park in Bentonville, VA and made trips to Skyline Drive from there. One day, we saw a momma bear with three cubs grazing on the hillside. I believe that if you want hookups, you will have to stay off the parkway since none of the campgrounds have them. I just love this area but I would not tow my RV through there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With all that has been said above, don't make the decision to skip seeing the Blue Ridge Parkway and Sky Line Drive. They are more than worth any inconvenience. The warnings are well taken and I agree with the idea of finding a nice central location off the mountains and then explore with your tow vehicle. There is plenty to see in the area to occupy your 7 or 8 days. We are headed to the Blue Ridge area sometime later in the summer.

Travel safe and enjoy.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm sorry folks, I didn't mean to say that I want to travel to different camp grounds and looking for full hook ups on Skyline Drive. I mean I want full hook ups but I'm more then willing to commute. I also would rather stay in one spot to camp and that is what I'm looking for. A nice place with full hook ups. I mean just electric is fine as long as they have bath houses. I need AC in July.

The wife and I are still planning on going to Skyline Drive and whatever else we can see and do for 8 days. Thanks for the advice and tips. Please keep them coming...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #18

Again, I would recommend Shenandoah River State Park. Great views, some long pull throughs, water and electric, and nice new bath house. It is located very near the entrance to Skyline Drive. There is a really good hamburger joint called Spelunkers in the nearby town with great old fashioned burgers. I think there is a cave to tour in the area too although we did not do that.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #19

The Skyline Drive is 100 miles, it is curvy and the speed limit is 35 MPH - you won't want to drive faster than that. It is beautiful and laid-back. I pull a 32' 5th wheel with ease up there, and it is our favorite place to be. Big Meadows Campground is where we go most often. The Lodge has great food, and there are lots of hikes nearby. Loft Mountain is our second favorite. Lewis Mountain is smaller and very nice. It is a great experience and I encourage you to drive through. Maybe you would want to hike all the waterfalls along the route. I have hiked the Appalachian Trail through the park. It's a wonderful area!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We used to RV on Skyline Drive quite a bit years past. You can enter the park right in the middle and drive a short ways to Big Meadow Campground. They have water and bath houses and the place is magnificent. The campground sits on top of a mountain and the scenery is great.

Park the trailer and then used the car to explore the rest of the park.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We have camped on top on Skyline drive at "Big Meadows" federal campground twice now. Its about in the middle of Shenandoah NP. Yes, there are no hookup, but if you want nature, that is the place to be. The main park visitor center is there. Yes it will be "hot" in the valleys. 90's / 100 but up top on the Skyline drive / Big Meadows we were in the low 80's. Fact when we went down to Luray Caverns it was 105 in early Aug but 81 on top. Luray Caverns are very nice but $$$$$ in my opinion. If the sky's are clear there are so very nice sunsets from a viewpoint next to Big Meadows called Black Rock Lodge. With the federal cutbacks because of the sequester there will not be as many ranger tours, talks in the park. We are now at Mammoth Caves NP. and can see the cutbacks first hand. ( less cave tours )
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Well not really sure if we want to stay in Skyline Drive. We need electric hook up and can deal with using the bath house as that's what we do anyhow. Bathroom on board is for emergencies only or night breaks. We are thinking of staying somewhere in the middle off the path and drive each way for the week. 50 miles either way isn't bad and we get to see as much as each end as we can. Still need more activities ideas. Wineries, food joints, small old towns, gold mines, coal ,mines, hikes, indian villages, or civil war stuff. We are very out going and active...
Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
We woukd like to see wildlife too...
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #24

Last time we were there, we saw a mama black bear and her 3 cubs. Wonderful!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
With all that has been said above, don't make the decision to skip seeing the Blue Ridge Parkway and Sky Line Drive. They are more than worth any inconvenience. The warnings are well taken and I agree with the idea of finding a nice central location off the mountains and then explore with your tow vehicle. There is plenty to see in the area to occupy your 7 or 8 days. We are headed to the Blue Ridge area sometime later in the summer.

Travel safe and enjoy.
This is perfect advice for Skyline Drive. It is not to be missed and don't skip it if you are in the area and want to do something that will make a huge impression on you and your wife and will be appropriate to your celebration together. Skyline Drive will give you all of that and more.

I am a huge Appalachian Trail buff -- have had a life dream to thru hike the AT one day before I can't do it any more -- and the AT crossed Skyline Drive in several places. It gives many great opportunities to hike -- for all levels of hiking.

I think camping and Skyline are compatible. I agree that with the comforts most of us want -- A/C, electric, convenient sewer connection, something like the KOA mentioned by another poster just makes sense. But use that stopping off point as the place to stay -- and be sure to explore Skyline Drive. It is a real treasure that we have in the eastern U.S. and you will treasure your memories of it forever.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thank you Deek. I think the wife and I are going to start our trip @ River Junction Campground and explore the lower end of Skyline Drive for about three days. The campground sites back right up to a river and they seem to have spectacle tubing there we want to try. Then there a few wineries, caverns and old towns to visit.

Then we plan to head north and possibly stay @ Luray KOA, Outlanders River, or Shenandoah River State Park for another three or four days. Those are the three that I found great reviews on.

We really want to stay @ Big Meadows but in July with no hook ups could be brutal with no A/C. Wife and I are already planning a fall trip to Big Meadows with the babies. We really wanted to be in the mist of it all and see wild life around camp as well. So we were trying to find a campground that has that plus electric.

We plan to check out all the places everyone has suggested and The Natural Bridge, Shenandoah Caverns, Luray Caverns, and Monticello. Also would love to do a four hour horse back trip. We know a few campgrounds offered that as an amenity so we need to find a place off site.

Trip is a few weeks away. Keep the tips coming...
Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another really nice place to visit is Harpers Ferry Campground. It's up above the Historical site with paths down to the actual Park. The campground has actual trenches that were used in the Civil War all through it. Interesting.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote