Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Need Advice on Campgrounds and Activies on Skyline Drive...

Wife and I are planning a trip to Skyline Drive for 7 to 8 days around July 20th for our anniversary. Neither of us have ever been and it will be an adult trip (just the two of us). We enjoy anything outdoors that doesn't require zip lines.

I will be towing a 28' TT with a pickup and require a 3 point hook up. We are looking for things to do, places to eat and drink, swim, hike, or ride our bikes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I'm going to assume you are talking Skyline Dr in Virginia with the following comments. If so,

1) It is a beautiful drive.
2) It is a drive and stop and view type of experience.
3) Generally, it other activities like swimming and camping come at the exits off of the Skyline Drive.
- From N to S, you have numerous vineyards,mostly on the east side of the drive in western Virginia (note not West Virginia). Search on "wine country" and "Virginia".
- I've ridden all over the area on a MC, and I don't remember that many campgrounds that have a lot of activities...maybe some else can help with that.
- Luray Caverns offers an interesting side excursion.
- There are a lot of opportunities for off road biking. Again just do a search on "off-road biking" and "western Virginia".

As far as driving Skyline, I see no real value in taking you TT, or any RV, on Skyline for the sake of driving the drive. My recommendation would be to park, take in a section of the drive and see what there is to see and return to your campsite on either the wine side or the Shenandoah Valley side. Then move to the next section, and repeat. All the way from front Royal VA to NC. Very few attractions other than the beauty to be observed from the views, which is enough.

JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #3

We really like staying at Walnut Hill/Staunton KOA. They have always accommodated our needs for scheduling and service. The staff is friendly and the campground is very nice. A few sites have patios with furniture and a gas grill.

Besides Luray Caverns be sure to check out Endless Caverns for a little less commercial tour.

There are several great wineries and Breweries in that area. The food at the breweries is wonderful and moderately priced.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please note that the Marys Rock tunnel in SNP only has 12 feet 8 inches clearance. My RV is 13 feet tall so I wouldn't attempt it. I have seen RV's use both lanes of this tunnel because it is wider in the middle. But the tunnel is at least a couple hundred feet long and unless you get someone to halt traffic, you could cause an accident.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks for the tips and warnings. LOL, I'm now wondering if a week checking out Skyline Drive in Va. and NC. may not be a good idea. My wife and I love the outdoors and checking the views. But is there really a week worth of views? I wouldn't mind camping off the drive somewhere where many others have said so and take a few days to drive up and down it. I also wasn't planning on moving from site to site unless it's really that long. I have no idea what's it's like just that a lot of folks say it's wonderful.

I've tried briefly to look it up on line and came up with some place in AZ? That's why I figured I would try this site. Any place on Skyline Drive rent boats and things like that???
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
So to see what your looking at go to google maps and Front Royal VA. Skyline Drive starts just south of Front Royal and is a national park's run drive. Travel down it on the maps in satellite view.

What you'll find is a road that travels close to the top of this series of peaks. To the best of my knowledge, there are no lakes.

There is beautiful country on either side in addition to the drive on Skyline. Camping in the Shenandoah can be beautiful in early summer. Jul and Aug can be pretty sultry.

I found this doing a preliminary search on Yahoo...there is more there (used "skyline drive and virginia";

Driving Skyline Drive - Shenandoah National Park

Good luck
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was just on Skyline Drive in the Asheville NC area last month. My impression is that it really was never intended for TT or MH travel. It is narrow, very twisty and though there are some great vistas, mostly it is driving through the woods. It is a great drive in a car but I would never think of doing it in at TT or MH. In a car 40 MPH is fast. You can get in to some really bad fog very quickly on those mountain tops and it turns into a white out. That happened to us last month and scared the crap out of me until I got to an exit at 10 MPH and got off of it (couldn’t see 50 feet) and down to the lower valley. If I was in my MH and that happened it could of been tragic. My advice would be the same as above. Find a good place to camp and travel in a car over sections. There is a good website about Skyline Drive you can look up.

Jim Hartle, 2002 Bounder 36S
Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhartle View Post
I was just on Skyline Drive in the Asheville NC area last month.
I think you meant the Blue Ridge Parkway as Skyline Drive ends at Rockfish Gap, VA near Waynesboro, VA
Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mikebreeze, you're correct I confused the two. Sorry! Please disregard my advice, it was for the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Jim H, 2002 Bounder 36S
Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

Actually you would be much better served by camping in a central location like Staunton, VA and exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway without your 28 foot trailer. The BRP was designed as a park with the roadway as a secondary consideration. Although it is difficult to discern, most of the landscaping and vegetation along the BRP was planned and planted as a park not a thoroughfare.
Link
Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #11

Skyline Drive is beautiful and is not as steep as Blue Ridge Parkway. Big Meadows Campground is a great place to stay, with a nearby waterfall within walking distance. There is no hook-ups but they have water and a dump station available. You can go to the website for Shenandoah National Park to read about it and the other two campgrounds in the park. The Inn at Big Meadows has great meals and because of its location, is one of the best places in the east to view the sunset.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I drove the Blu Ridge Parkway North from Ashville 3 years ago. I had a 38' motorhome, and toad. I drove about half of it, then got off and found better highway. It is a wonderful scenic drive , and I recommend it highly. But I would NOT attempt it again in my RV. We made it just fine, but it was a stressful drive, and truthfully, I didn't get to see much, I was too busy driving, and my wife is afraid of heights so I know she didn't see much either. At one point one lane of the road had slid down the mountain, so it was blocked off and I was stopped on a down grade at about a 10% incline for half an hour while they worked on the road a while, and let traffic pass on the one lane that was left.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Agree no rv of any size...

We drive skyline for about 20 miles when I was 'visiting' Virginia for work...

we were in jeeps and able to get off the beaten path trusting the gps to get us back

thank goodness I had lifetime map updates as some place were 'off-road' !

but nice adventure...

would I do it again ? no, but touring the historic sites that we were surprised to find was pretty cool .
Old 06-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #14

Take a look at Country Waye CG on Rte 340 just north of Luray. Very nice and clean.
olddog1943 is offline   Reply With Quote