Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Need Campground near I-75 and GA/FL border WITH Motel next door???

In April of 2015, we'll be heading to Disneyworld again in Florida (Ft. Wilderness) from Michigan with our Motorhome, but instead of just my husband and I, we'll have our son-in-law, daughter and two granddaughters with us for the drive. They've rented a travel trailer at Ft. Wilderness. We usually drive about 19 hours or so the first day so we can make it to the border of GA and FL. We've stayed at the KOA and Eagles Roost south of Valdosta, but both have too many trees and tight turns for our taste after a long, tiring drive.

Are there any pull thru RV parks/Campgrounds right on I-75 near the border of GA and FL that ALSO have a motel or hotel next door or within walking distance? Our motorhome just can't comfortably sleep the whole family.......especially with the toddler. I remember seeing some nice, open field "parking spot" campgrounds just south of the GA border, but I don't recall the names? We'll need full hookup. Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
In April of 2015, we'll be heading to Disneyworld again in Florida (Ft. Wilderness) from Michigan with our Motorhome, but instead of just my husband and I, we'll have our son-in-law, daughter and two granddaughters with us for the drive. They've rented a travel trailer at Ft. Wilderness. We usually drive about 19 hours or so the first day so we can make it to the border of GA and FL. We've stayed at the KOA and Eagles Roost south of Valdosta, but both have too many trees and tight turns for our taste after a long, tiring drive. Are there any pull thru RV parks/Campgrounds right on I-75 near the border of GA and FL that ALSO have a motel or hotel next door or within walking distance? Our motorhome just can't comfortably sleep the whole family.......especially with the toddler. I remember seeing some nice, open field "parking spot" campgrounds just south of the GA border, but I don't recall the names? We'll need full hookup. Thank you!
Ive seen some KOA campgrounds that have cabins for rent for just this sort of contingency.

Curious, I looked inside once, they were air conditioned and heated, and looked just like self-contained motel rooms.

Found this one:

373 Rockhouse Road East
Cordele, GA 31015
Reserve: 800-562-0275
Info: 229-273-5454
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2297971430.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	510.3 KB
ID:	54616   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1547861431.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	54617  

Old 01-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #3

Lake City Campground is just off I-75 and Motels close. www.Lakecitycampground.com.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We've checked into cabins at a KOA, but bedding must be provided.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There's another campground one more exit down with a motel across the road. I thing it Jennings Rv park
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #6

I have rented rooms in hotels and parked my RV in the. Hotel/Motel lot - just like truckers do. Have done that when we have had extra people or just because there was no parking or campground convenient to where I wanted to be. I may not even use the room.

We have also used KOA "Kabins" when we had guests with us.

Plenty of options as others have noted.

Have a good trip.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #7

Look up the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park - Musicliveshere.com
They have park model cabins to rent and pull through sites. Hope it isn't the last weekend of April though. They have a big music event that takes the whole park.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:36 AM   #8

I hope you find a place to stay. I am going to say it, since no one else will. driving 19 hours is not safe for you and your family. Take an extra day or 2 driving and cut your time at Disney! Not worth the danger of being exhausted and driving.

My 2 cents, Tom
Old 01-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
I hope you find a place to stay. I am going to say it, since no one else will. driving 19 hours is not safe for you and your family. Take an extra day or 2 driving and cut your time at Disney! Not worth the danger of being exhausted and driving.

My 2 cents, Tom
agree tom for sure, yrs ago lived in rhode island, took car str8 thru to fla. then after moved to fla, drove bike 2 day ride. now with a rv i would take 3 days, maybe 4. (hell of a wt behind the wheel of a rv).
Old 01-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #10

i second the boondock in the motel parking lot
Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post

My 2 cents, Tom
With all those adults in the RV you would hope there is multiple drivers. 2 or more drivers, 19 hrs should be a breeze.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for all of the wonderful responses! I can always count on the knowledge and expertise found on this site!

Yes, we have FOUR adult drivers. I usually do most of the driving, as the husband likes to relax since he drives more for work and I love driving the motorhome! Our son-in-law and daughter used to own a motorhome and are very experienced, also.

I checked into the Jennings campground and the two motels within walking distance, but they both had TERRIBLE reviews. Therefore, I think we'll reserve at the Valdosta Oaks RV Park, exit 22, in Georgia. There's a Howard Johnson's right next to it with good reviews. Should be perfect!

Again, thank you for your help!!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:58 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Larmolljr
Eagles roost campground exit 5 on I75.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #14

There is a KOA at Lake Park right across the interstate from Eagles Roost and 5 good hotels including a Hampton Inn within walking distance.

Tags
campground, door