Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am looking for a nice campground around Wingate NC I will be traveling mid Oct.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am looking for a nice campground around Wingate NC I will be traveling mid Oct.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
There's a county park about 17 miles southwest of Wingate in Union County called Cane Creek Park.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi George and Joni...I am assuming you have a student at Wingate. (Our daughter graduated there in '03.) Richard is right, the ONLY place anywhere close to camp is Cane Creek, and it is quite a haul from Wingate. There is another spot that is not advertised in any campground guide that is a rather small campground with a few seasonals in it only a few miles southwest of Monroe. I'll try to drive over there this weekend and take a look to see if it looks decent or not.

If I am correct in assuming you have a student there, you may appeal to Dr. McGee to let you have a spot in one of the dorm/or athletic field parking lots if you are willing to boondock a few days. Wingate is a tightknit little community with a very good security crew.

I live about 6 miles from there...let me know if I can help in any way.

Chuck
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Chuck, Pam & Bobbi the cat,

I want to thank you for the reply. We have two nieces going to Wingate University. We are on our way to Florida and promised them we would stop and see them.

If it isn't a problem, it would be great if you could check out the place and give me a phone number. We have a 35' motorhome with double slides.

I'll give Dr. McGee a call and see if I can set something up with him.

We greatly appreciate all your help.

George & Joni
Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I will be in the area of the other campground if it is still there this weekend. I will try to take a picture or two if I can. The place i mentioned is a very small place.

When I mentioned Dr. McGee, I was using his name broadly...thinking that if you had a child at WU, you would know the name. He is the President of the University, so may be hard to get. The campus is very nice, lots of open space and plenty of parking around the athletic complex. I will see what I can find out for you this weekend.

Not sure how long you plan on visiting with your neices. If it is more than a few days, it may be worth your while to stay at the Fleetwood Campground just off I-85 in Charlotte. The address is actually in Concord. That would put you about 40 - 45 minutes from Wingate. That RV Park is very nice with full hook ups and plenty of room.. only problem is that it is at Lowes Motor Speedway, and the fall NASCAR race is scheduled for October 13 which means the week before and some of the week after they will be full.

I saw in another post that you are headed to GA after that. I-85 is about your only choice for where you are going next. If you hit I-85 after 9:00 AM or so you should be fine with the traffic.. especially if you are heading south with everyone else heading into Charlotte.

Feel free to email me if you want my email (Split up here to keep away spammers) Chuck@ Lomaxonline dot com.

Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote