Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #15

A few of the lesser known sites are well worth visiting. Cedar Breaks National Monument is beautiful. Dead Horse Canyon State Park has some spectacular views, and Goblin Valley State Park is quite unique.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Hwy 9 from Zion

I also read about the switch backs. My husband said "why white knuckle it if we don't need to". I agreed. I figure when I input to the Garmin RV gps it will not let us take that route. Well...it shouldn't let us. This is supposed to be a relaxing vacation.

SCS: Thanks for the info on Hwy 91. We will be sure to take a look when we are there.

Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS View Post
Hwy 9 through Zion has quite a few sharp, steep switch backs. Tunnel height is a problem but I would by pass the tunnel because of the grade and switchbacks.
RobinfromCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Looking forward to these sites

I am making a list of places and these 3 are all on it. I love the pix I've seen of Goblin. I also want to see the Natural Bridges National Monument. It is a bit away from where we planned to stay, but we might head down that way for a night or two. It just looks like it is worth it.

Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
A few of the lesser known sites are well worth visiting. Cedar Breaks National Monument is beautiful. Dead Horse Canyon State Park has some spectacular views, and Goblin Valley State Park is quite unique.

Joel
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
New question: Hwy 12 between Bryce and Torrey?

I do not know if it is suitable for a 40 ft motorhome towing. Has anyone driven between Bryce and Capital Reef in a motorhome and can comment on how safe it is? The red squiggly line on the map is not very reassuring.

Robin
Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Utah Highway 12 is one of the most wonderful highways ever! We aren't that long (Navion iQ towing a Ford Escape), but last September our friends with a Chevy Silverado pulling a 32" fifth wheel followed us . . . no problems and he was rookie (now has his "wings").

Not enough words to describe the beauty. Do it. We saw some big Class A's along the route. Also some giant Prevost tour busses.

Go to Capitol Reef NP, very nice. The campground in the park is very nice. Try the pies from the Gifford Homestead, pick your own fruit at the orchards, too.

By the way . . . we seek out the red squiggly lines, usually means way cool trip.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinfromCA View Post
I do not know if it is suitable for a 40 ft motorhome towing. Has anyone driven between Bryce and Capital Reef in a motorhome and can comment on how safe it is? The red squiggly line on the map is not very reassuring.

Robin
Not a motor home, but I've pulled my 5er over that route without the slightest problem, and I'm a flatlander from Illinois.

It is a beautiful ride. I think that the steep drop offs on both sides of the road make it seem worse than it really is. I have driven a lot of roads that have steeper grades and tighter curves. Unless you are completely terrified by mountain roads, go for it.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Suggest you pick up a copy of Mountain Directory West to help plan your trip. This book is designed for RV and Truckers showing what the roads are like based on your route. It shows the locations and descriptions of Mountain Passes and steep grades in the 11 Western States. We live in the Salt Lake City area and this book has come in really handy as we travel the surrounding states on roads other then the interstates. I don't leave home without it. Picked mine up at Barnes & Noble.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
BTW, there is a RV park in a little place called Fruita that has fruit trees and you can watch the deer come and eat in the late afternoon and early morning hours. It's past Torrey on the way to Goblin Valley, which is really beautiful. In fact, you can spend your whole trip in Southern Utah and then come back and do the Northern half later. Utah has a lot to see throughout the entire State.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
BTW, there is a RV park in a little place called Fruita that has fruit trees and you can watch the deer come and eat in the late afternoon and early morning hours.
The campground at Fruita is in Capitol Reef National Park . . . Fruita is the name of the early Mormon settlement, that's how the orchard got started. Great place.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Fantastic trip

I did Utah a couple of years ago, but without the rv. We circumnavigated the state starting in Salt Lake City, went south on I15 to Provo, then route 6 through Helper, Price, Carbonville, etc.. Saw lots of attractions along the way, mining museum, Jesse James hangout, town of Sundance,... Then a little east on I70 to 191 south to Moab, using that as base we visited Arches, Canyon Lands and Island in the Sky. If jeep is 4x4 and you are adventurous look into Shafer trail as route from Island in the Sky back to Moab. WHAT A RIDE!!

From there we went through Capitol Reef, Grand Staircase Escalante, Escalante Petrified Forest on to Bryce Canyon. Stopped a couple of days on that stretch in enjoyable little towns (Boulder, Escalante, Tropic, etc..) Then in to the back entrance to Zion. From there we went back north to SLC stopping in Cedar Breaks and Cove Fort. Visted Mormon square in SLC and then did day side trip to Park City. Was a fabulous trip. Now as far as the RV is concerned, I think you could do most of what I mentioned, however there were clearly some spots that would be issue. Through the southern route there were several narrow winding roads, and I do recall a couple of tunnels along the way which may be a problem. I would check the routing services on Woodalls and other sources to check the appropriate route. It is an incredibly beautiful state, enjoy.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #25

I would suggest you also visit Monument Valley if you have time. It's on the Utah Arizona border and the roads getting there are good for RV travel. We stayed at the View Hotel in the Navajo Nation Park which is beautiful, especially the sunrise but you need reservations in advance normally. Since you have a Jeep you can drive the trails into the valley for just the admission to the park. If you don't want to drive in the valley they have guides that will take you in their 4X4 trucks for $75 per person. Just be aware, it is all dirt roads and you will end up with a lot of red dust in and on your vehicle if you drive.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found that the map put out by AAA for Indian Country is a great planning tool for visiting the grand circle. We have found visiting this area in late April and May best for us. If you do the circle route, 6 weeks should be about the right amount of time.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
We spent the first week of june last year in Utah. Virgin was over 100 degrees every day.Virgin river r v park was great. North Salt Lake has a beautiful new park. Have a great time.
Oregon Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Nothing to add except since you already have a Jeep you need to spend time in Moab. There maybe more Jeeps there than any town in the world. Awesome trails and sights.
Wonderful Spring or Fall destination.
X2! We spent 5 nights at Portal RV Resort in Moab this past September. A nice place to be, and between Arches and Moab, so convenient to both. We also have a Jeep and did some trails along with Arches.

Arches - start early - about 8 am or so to avoid the midday heat.

Offroading - go into town to the visitor's center and pick up the book "Guide to Moab UT Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails". Well worth the $30!!!! Splits the trails by easy/moderate/difficult. We stayed on the easy trails with our stock Jeep TJ and enjoyed our rides! Gemini Bridges Trail and Potash Rd/Shafer Switchbacks were AWESOME! Plan a day for each to be able to stop and enjoy views. There are also some pictographs and dinosaur tracks if you are into that.

I thought the story behind Dead Horse Point was very depressing, and couldn't really enjoy the views.

If you haven't already, I strongly encourage that you pick up a copy of "Mountain Directory West" - good info on hills etc to help keep you from overheating. It also comes in "Mountain Directory East".

Tags
need help