Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Need help with travel plans Wi to Florida panhandle

Well we are traveling with the Kids from SE Wi to Grayton Beach state park in a few weeks. We are taking 3 days to get there and 3 days back so we will have time to visit a few things on the way. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to stop, interesting things to see I would love to here them. We have very little plans on doing anything when we are there except maybe a 1/2 day of chartered fishing and sitting on the beach. We will have Toad in haul so we can enjoy the sights when we are there. Let me know if you have any suggestions.. Thanks RAndy

Gutter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Randy (Gutter Man):

Hi from Tampa. Although we full time now, we originally lived in Duluth, MN and prior to selling the house and stuff, and hitting the road, we too have left Duluth about this time of year and spent time in the Destin area. It's WONDERFUL down there. If ya haven't been there....you'll love it.

HOWEVER!!!.....we sure wouldn't spend time "sight seeing" along the way at this time of year. Between you (in SE WI.) and Grayton Beach they're still seeing a little snow, spring rain, and it not the greatest time for spending time. Our suggestion is:

Have a great trip.

Steve & Lynette

2014 Newmar 3103 BAYSTAR/Triton V10 w. Banks/05 Honda Element toad
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gutter Man,
I agree with Chickadee. This time of the year, go south young man go south. However, that being said there are a couple of places one may want to consider. They are:
1. Nashville, TN (The Grand Ole Opry)
2. Huntsville, Alabama (NASA development site). This is the only place you can see a real Saturn V rocket vertical. All things NASA are here.

Both these stops can be on your way.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Gary has good suggestions. They are on I 65, which is my preferred route (we live in Indiana) no mountains and only 85 miles further than driving I 75 through the mountains- if I remember mapquest correctly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Thanks you guys. We are excited to go again. We were there once for my niece's wedding and loved it. This time we are taking the HR and spending some relaxing time. We always take our time if possible to see interesting sites along the way. You know even if it is an overlook from wayside. We are History buffs so anything towards the south has some great history.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
You need to stay at Topsail state park on 30A Destin. It is on the beach and has a pool. Great place for a family.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
We live In north Mississippi so I have a few suggestions for Nashville south. Hit the Natchez trace in Nashville and head south, Pucketts grocery in Liepers Fork just south of Nashville is a great lunch stop about a mile off the trace, cool little town, antiques plus a guy hand making flintlock rifles. Lots of historical stops along the trace, schedule time for these but don't try to hit every one or you will take a week to cover it. The civil war battlefield at Shiloh in southern Tn is not far from the trace and is worth a stop, you can almost feel the ghosts. The city of Corinth Ms is just south of Shiloh and has a great civil war interperative center also. Take highway 45 south to Tupelo to the Elvis Presley birthplace. Highway 45 will take you all the way to Mobile and is 4 lane most of the way and is better than the interstate. From Mobile you can take I10 or scenic hwy 90 to destin. we will be making our first trip to Grayton later in the year.
Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Two suggestions that the family may enjoy:
1. Mobile, Al, visit the USS Alabama the Hero of the Pacific rests at Battleship Park.
2. Eglin AFB, Fl, visit the Air Force Armament Museum.

ps both are right off I-10

MikSher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:54 AM   #9
Originally Posted by MikSher View Post
Two suggestions that the family may enjoy:
1. Mobile, Al, visit the USS Alabama the Hero of the Pacific rests at Battleship Park.
2. Eglin AFB, Fl, visit the Air Force Armament Museum.

ps both are right off I-10

On this note, don't forget about the Air Museum in Pensacola (free, also has an IMAX $ and flight simulators $) which is home to the Blue Angels. You might even time it to catch them during practice.

2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Bob and Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
Great suggestions so far. We are starting to get our route together and your guys are a great help. The Blue angels are coming to Milwaukee if I am not mistaken so that would be interesting to see in Florida. We tried gettiing a site at Topsail but they were booked for our dates, but grayton beach sounds very nice and quiet.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Grayon Beach

Hi Gutter Man,
We were there 2 weeks ago, very nice and clean! We take Hwy 331 off I10 to 98 then turn left and Grayton Beach is on your right....about a mile....Everyone in the south loves BBQ!! who doesn't!! Heres a link to panhandle BBQ there is a couple in April close to Grayton Beach.
Enjoy! Catch ya on the flip side!
Richard and Kaye
Florida Panhandle BBQ Society
May the wind be at your back,The sun in your face
And your love by your side!!
USMC 68/74 RVN 69/70. Semper-Fi!
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I live in Huntsville AL area. Originally from WI (Waukesha). I moved to Nashville, then down to Huntsville. Nashville would be worth a stop. Adventure Science Center is fun, grand ole oprey is fun, ride on the General Jackson Showboat river boat ( next to grand ole oprey) is fun, they have a nice zoo, and then you can check Bridgesrone Arena, Titan Stadium, TPAC, and Ryman Auditorium to see if there are any kids would want to see that shows. The space and rocket center in huntsville is awesome, don't get me wrong, but that is pretty much all we have, unless there is something at the Vaun Braun Center.
Travis & Dawn... and Mary, Elise, Nora, and Alice
2013 Thor Palazzo 36.1
Madison, AL
Uber_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the beach is too rough for swimming come up to Ponce de Leon Springs State Park. Just off the interstate at exit 96. No camping. Also Morrison Springs has been developed and is just as good. Also no camping.
2004 Dolphin Basement AC
7KW Onan Marqui Gold
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
Randy, we are from Milwaukee and have traveled to Florida many times. For history, we stopped at the Carnton Plantation in Franklin TN, just a few miles from Nashville. This was one of the quickest and bloodiest battles of the Civil War. Pretty interesting place. You might have heard a book called "widow of the south". It was written from this battle. If you travel through Georgia you will see many other Civil War stops. Good luck and have fun !

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Gary1965 is offline   Reply With Quote