Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need Help with Yosemite NP

We are planning a trip from Vegas to San Francisco and plan on stopping by Yosemite NP along the way. I need some suggestions for the best route and places to stay as a base.
Blimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I guess you'll be going from Lee Vining, CA across on CA 120 to Yosemite. Unless you already have campground spots reserved, you might be out of luck for this summer. A very popular place with limited camping spaces.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimjr View Post
We are planning a trip from Vegas to San Francisco and plan on stopping by Yosemite NP along the way. I need some suggestions for the best route and places to stay as a base.
I did a quick search and saw that Yosemite Lakes RV Resort (thousand trails) has openings for my search criteria of 3 days June 8 to 11th for 30 amp.

You did not say when your traveling. Next year would be best if you want in the park. But also, they have very limited availability for 40+ foot rigs.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #4

If you are going to the bay area first then yosemite you will likely be taking 120 from Manteca to the park. DW and I did this recently. I wrote up the experience on the rv net site: RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Yosemite Pirep
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I grew up in the Yosemite area, we would always tell people visiting, come before Memorial day or after Labor day, but never in between.

Assuming you have a toad, look in the Moccasin, Groveland, Buck Meadows, Mariposa areas, you should be able to find something, that will make your drive into valley less than 30 minutes.

Make sure at a minimum, climb to the top of Vernal Falls, only about 30 min each way, but incredible. Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
I grew up in the Yosemite area, we would always tell people visiting, come before Memorial day or after Labor day, but never in between.

Assuming you have a toad, look in the Moccasin, Groveland, Buck Meadows, Mariposa areas, you should be able to find something, that will make your drive into valley less than 30 minutes.

Make sure at a minimum, climb to the top of Vernal Falls, only about 30 min each way, but incredible. Good luck!

My best memory of Yosemite is the Vernal Falls climb. But I remember it as longer than 30 minutes.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your input!
Blimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just spent the weekend at Yosemite RV Parks, Camping & Campgrounds near Yosemite National Park in Oakhurst. From there it's about a 45 minute ride on motorcycles to the south entrance to Yosemite, and another 45 minutes or so to the Valley floor, or to Glacier Point. The campground is nice, with large sites.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post

Ha Ha!! I skimmed your comments and thought of Half Dome as I glanced at Vernal. Having done Half Dome 4 times, one day each, I almost choked!!!
Vernal is worth the trip but I'll bet it is a trickle this year.

Tags
need help