Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #29

I sure hope i settles down, but I don't expect water levels to get back to near normal for at least another week or two. When we went to check on the sites we had reserved we found one site #14 had about 2 to 3" of standing water while #15 was a little better but still waterlogged. Actually any of the sites 1 thru 15 are going to have problems. We drove around the park and most all of the other sites we saw looked usable.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #30
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're going to the Wellsboro/Grand Canyon of PA area, Ives Run is the CG you want to stay at. My review, my pics

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #31

Hi Lori - looks like a really nice cg. We are starting with whispering winds and see where we go from there. We usually wander a bit....guess that's why we have an rv. It's unusual to see so much space between sites...which i like. It's usually rack-um and packum tight.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #32

Ricketts Glen State Park has always been a favorite. Be sure to hike the Falls Trail, 3.5 miles and passes 18 waterfalls.

Hiking the Falls Trail at Ricketts Glen State Park - PAHikes
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #33

I wanted to thank you all for the PA vacation suggestions. As usual all of your thoughts and comments were incredibly welcomed and we had an awesome time. We just returned from a terrific trip to the Allegheny mountains. We took Rt 6 which was a beautiful road but lots of construction. We stayed Whispering Winds RV Campground and where super happy staying there (Thanks to Dave and Nola's recommendation). Home Owners Ann and Wayne Halloway were wonderful hosts. Friendly and helpful. The campground was very well kept, super clean, and everything was delightful. We parked next to a beautiful babbling brook and listened to it every night by the fire and while sleeping. The rest room and showers were clean and new looking. Even the picnic tables were brand new too.

We spent the week hiking for the most part which was the goal of this trip. The first stop was the Kinzua railroad bridge which was really cool. It is a 310' tall iron tressle that was partially knocked over by a tornado in 2006 or something like that. It provides awesome views of the valley as you can walk out on the tressle. We also hiked down a very steep trail to the bottom of the valley which was also a well worth while hike. The Kinzua Creek trail was pretty steep but well marked and maintained. They are building a tourist center to help draw more people to the attraction.

We stopped at the Kinzu hydroelectric dam which was another worth while stop. dozens of giant carp over 3' long were swimming around by the shore. The dam rumbles with the thunder of the falling water. Another day spent hiking the trailhead at Morrison. This was a rough hike but a gorgeous forest. We were the only people on the trail (no cell service) and it was some really step trails down old creek beds surrounded by giant moss covered boulders. It was muddy and we saw all sorts of great prints. A fresh bear paw print was cool...but the thing tht gave me pause was about 3 or 4 hours into the hike I found what looked like a big cat track. I didn't think PA had big cats...but 4 finger prints, no nails and a main pad with 3 loops made me stop and think. no cell service hours into a really steep overgrown trail in the middle of a national forest, overhead boulders perfect for a cat ambush. We weren't top of the food chain that day...but I put it out of my mind and pushed on. What a great workout.

Last place hiking place of note was Hector's falls in Ludlow pa. Was hard to find but not too hard a hike. The falls were 2 or 3 stories tall but a beautiful location. Again we were the only people there and no cell service was typical. It was definitely worth the hike.

The one 'You absolutely have to stop here place' was Bells Meats. Family Owned & Operated | Jack Bell Meats & Poultry | Kane, Pennsylvania. We bought sausage there...OMG. The best sausage I've ever had and I grew up in an Italian family with roots in Brooklyn. The place just made me happy. Sausage heaven.

So that's my thank you to all of you. Once again crowd sourcing my vacation was successful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150714_125511.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	100490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150715_115926.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	100491  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150716_132541.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	486.4 KB
ID:	100492  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #34

Glad it all worked out so well.
And, yes, there ARE moutain lions and bears in PA.
Dave and Nola

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #35

Bears I'm used to..even had one walk into my camp long ago. Big cats were the surprise I wasn't thinking about. Thanks
Old 07-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknj View Post
Bears I'm used to..even had one walk into my camp long ago. Big cats were the surprise I wasn't thinking about. Thanks

Well they gotta eat too! But the see us and become scaredy cats. We see tracks. Never seen a cat.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #37

Rt 6 is a great drive. You can see the Pa Lumber Museum and the Kinzua bridge or what's left of it. Tioga Hammond Lakes in Tioga County is a great campground.Some water and electric and some full hookups. Hills creek is another nice Pa State Park with electric hookups.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #38

Rt 6 was a great drive but way too much construction last week. We took Rt 6 there and Rt 80 back.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:16 PM   #39

If you like history, you shouldn't miss visiting Meadowcroft Rock Shelter and Historic Village Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village

You might also enjoy tour of Falling Water, one of Frank Lloyd Wright's most unusual creations. Fallingwater | Home

Joel

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote