Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need overnight South of Tampa

Looking at Walmart at intersection of I75 and hwy 64 at Bradenton.
Anyone stayed there?

Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Looking at Walmart at intersection of I75 and hwy 64 at Bradenton.
Anyone stayed there?

Southwest Florida is a waste land for Walmart parking. Most are NOP. Back in the spring this one was still ok. It's west of I75 on state route 43:

Walmart Supercenter, Palmetto, Florida 34250 - Walmart Supercenter, 508 10th St E, GPS: 27.52117, -82.55845

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, sort of what I thought. Past experience has told me the same thing but just thought I would ask anyway
Old 12-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

Rest Areas North And Southbound I75

We pass a couple of rest areas on I75 driving back and forth from Sarasota to Tampa. The northbound, one looks well treed back from I75, and on our way back usually late at night there is a southbound one more clearly visible. These might be worth checking out as we see RV's and trucks parked here all the time, often past midnight when returning southbound. Think it might be just North of Sun City, sorry not sure of which mile marker.

Just saying, and we'd likely use these for an Overnight for several hours sleep ourselves in the future, having seen many others for the past several weeks doing so.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeFT View Post
We pass a couple of rest areas on I75 driving back and forth from Sarasota to Tampa. The northbound, one looks well treed back from I75, and on our way back usually late at night there is a southbound one more clearly visible. These might be worth checking out as we see RV's and trucks parked here all the time, often past midnight when returning southbound. Think it might be just North of Sun City, sorry not sure of which mile marker.

Just saying, and we'd likely use these for an Overnight for several hours sleep ourselves in the future, having seen many others for the past several weeks doing so.

Those rest stops are just south of exit 240 which is the Sun City/Ruskin exit.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #6

Rest area at the south end of the skyway bridge used to ( a year ago i used it) allow overnight rv parking (any more than just an ovrnight will get you attn you do not want)

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.5846256,-82.617916,16z

A llittle north of where you asked is brandon. I aknow the walmart there is ok with overnight......https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9242162,-82.3261022,16z

I am not sure but i seem to recall walmart in sun city will not bother you. Again it would be a late evening pull in and and early morning exit and you prolly will be fine. Rest area just south of sun city if you get tossed out.

I always have a second site nearby that is my backup in case i get asked to leave my first site
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Southwest Florida is a waste land for Walmart parking. Most are NOP. Back in the spring this one was still ok. It's west of I75 on state route 43:

Walmart Supercenter, Palmetto, Florida 34250 - Walmart Supercenter, 508 10th St E, GPS: 27.52117, -82.55845
What does NOP mean? Thanks!
Old 12-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
What does NOP mean? Thanks!
No Overnight Parking
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

Got it. I thought I knew most of the acronyms, but that one is new to me. :0)
Old 12-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Most times it's the county or city that designates and enforces NOP....not Wal-Mart.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #11

OK, so decided to check and stopped at both the Rest Areas I referred to above on I75 both North and Southbound (around MM237). The Southbound one we drove around about 12.20pm last night and the security guy stopped and we spoke with him, and he said absolutely allowed to stay the night even though signs stated Overnight Camping. They just don't want Full Slide outs interfering with the trucks trying to park. Has no problem with us putting out our slides enough so hubby's feet not touching the closet at end of bed, and he'd welcome us to stay. Says he sees the Truckers start filling up between 8pm and 10pm, so advised you'd likely want to be in before then for space, albeit there were still around half a dozen spots still open when we drove through.

FWIW, I'd stay at either of these in a heart beat for an overnighter, and was good to see security patrolling as well. Personally we felt very comfortable driving around at that late at night checking it out.

Hopefully that helps you as an option Wizard.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, that sounds just like what I'm looking for
Old 12-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeFT View Post
Says he sees the Truckers start filling up between 8pm and 10pm, so advised you'd likely want to be in before then for space, albeit there were still around half a dozen spots still open when we drove through.

Little off subject but I feel like it should be noted. Staying out of rest areas at that prime time.......8-10pm that truckers are looking to rest or have to stop because they can not pick up or drop off a load till the next morning is a good reason to stay out till after 10pm. Let the trucks have first shot at the spots. In rvs we have a lot more options for an overnight stop than they do, we are also not on near as tight of a schedule and stopping the next day at a rest area or a state park or something at noon the next day for lunch and a nap to catch up on sleep from staying up late cause the rest area we wanted was full and had to drive 90 more min than we wanted is easy for us.

My two cents, my friends who long haul drive trucks would be dissapointed in me if did not bother to say something.

Nice of someone to drive there and scout it out and share what they saw.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jbrv, your recommendation of Brandon walmart was spot on.

Several delivery vans, rv's and semi's already there when we arrived. We got an outside spot where we could even open the dining/living slide. right behind a McDonalds for breakfast the next morning

Thanks