Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #1

Hello, I leaving from Boston around the 4th of July to Dollywood and plan on through the skyline, blueridge parkway, and the middle of Smokey Mountians...has anyone ever done this trip before? I am concerned over the safety of the drive with a 33' RV. I was planning on 1 day driving for each leg of the trip. (1 day throught the smokey, 1 day for skyline, one day for blue ridge parkway) does this sound reasonable? Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #2

Hello, I leaving from Boston around the 4th of July to Dollywood and plan on through the skyline, blueridge parkway, and the middle of Smokey Mountians...has anyone ever done this trip before? I am concerned over the safety of the drive with a 33' RV. I was planning on 1 day driving for each leg of the trip. (1 day throught the smokey, 1 day for skyline, one day for blue ridge parkway) does this sound reasonable? Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 05-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Last Fall I drove Skyline Drive the last week of October. The Fall colors were at their peak. We stayed at Loft Mountain CG. This was the last weekend the campgrounds were open.

There are many pull offs that will easily accommodate a large motorhome. The speed limit is 35 on the Skyline and 45 on the Blue Ridge so it'll be a leisurely drive. Both of these scenic roadways will easily accommodate any RV.

In late October I'll be driving the Blue Ridge Parkway on our way to FL.

-Tom

Parked at Loft Mt CG.

The lone tunnel on the Skyline Drive.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:22 PM   #4

For writen information go to the

EastCoastRVing_Traveling group

the camping is spelled out for the
Blue Ridge Parkway /Skyline Drive
HappyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Allen;

Why don't you answer his question instead of sending him to your mailing list?????

-Tom

Old 05-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #6

wow great photos.... thanks for the info!
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #7

Peter,

We stayed at the Elkmont CG in the Smokey Mountain National Park. I highly recommend it -- about 30 min or so to Dollywood. Here are some Posts on it here.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I've traveled both the Blue Ridge parkway and the Skyline Drive from either direction numerous times, it'll be a very enjoyable trip and your time table seems realistic for the terrain and speeds you'll be traveling. As posted, there are lots of scenic pull outs that you'll want to stop at, your time table will depend on how often you make such stops.

We liked the Big Meadows CG on the Skyline and there are several along the BRP that are nice (no hookups).

Here's a couple links that may help:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>BRP Travel Guide
<LI>BRP Guided Tour[/list]
Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
I've traveled both the Blue Ridge parkway and the Skyline Drive from either direction numerous times, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard;

Did you ever travel the BRP when the campgrounds were closed??

I wanted to drive the BRP early in April on our way home from FL but all the BRP campgrounds were closed. I'm planning on the BRP in Nov. on our way to FL. I have no problem just parking in a parking lot overnight.

-Tom

Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Tom,

Sure, we have traveled it when the federal campgrounds are closed. There are numerous private campggrounds in the vicinity and several are open year round. Most are just a few miles off the Parkway or Skyline Drive.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #11

Well, just went through the skyline,the blue ridge parkway (BPR), the smokey mountains, and ended up at dollywood koa..in 3.5 days...my brakes are very tired! I do not recommend these driving times. My kids and wife rushed me all the way. I thought I was at nascar race.

For future reference...I would suggest spending at least 2 days on the skyline and stopping halfway and camping. As for the Blue Ridge Parkway I completed this drive in about 2 days. You really need 4 days. Getting gas was difficult. A lot of the gas stations were closed after 6pm and far off the BPR. I did not get a chance to go up to Mt. Mitchel Observatory. Plus, there is a hotel nearby which has awesome views. I recommend stopping alot to cool down the brakes. As for the Smokey Mountians...do not enter through Cherokee because of the very steep grades and poor road conditions. I made the mistake of going around the low bridges at the end of the BRP. When you enter the Smokey's the Campground does not have showers and it is about a 10 minute ride once you enter mountian. On the BPR and the Smokey Mountain the trees are very low and my camper must have hit at least 100 low branches.

The smokey mountians cross time was about 1 hr. it was a quick up and a quick down.

We went through the skyline on July third around 5 pm and there was no traffic.

As for Campgrounds along the way we stayed at the federal parks...which were first come first serve and got very lucky. Going through the BRP on the 4th of july was great. No traffic and you can pull over along the way and watch the fireworks..

I want to thank everyone for their help and posts. Please contact me if you need any info!
Old 07-07-2007, 02:10 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Glad you enjoyed the trip.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #13
Foz

Skyline Drive is nice. You should stop at a local campground & drive a toad up for the day, it is much easier. Nice campground about 1/2 hour from Rt 33 entrance = Small Country.