Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

Need some information

Oct. 7 I will be driving to Holly Point State park in Wake Forest N.C. from Cortland NY. I want to avoid Washington DC so I plan to go interstate 81 until Staunton Va where I would like to stay overnight and get to Wake Forest on Monday.
I am looking for a little or no cost place to set up a hard side camper near Staunton Va. on Sunday night. I don't mind driving a little off course if necessary. If you care to suggest a different route that would be OK too.
beyond-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with that area as far a camping goes, however if there is a Walmart somewhere along your travels that is where I would stay. You can setup your tt without unhooking and not looking like you are camping. Rather just stopped for the night at most Walmarts. Just go inside and ask the manager for permission. They will direct you to park where they want you to. I have yet to be turned away from any Walmart for overnight parking. Do a search on this forum for Walmart parking. There is a rather lengthy thread that will give you some general idea what it is like to overnight in a Walmart. One word of advise, most people staying at Walmart end up stocking up on supplies and spending more than if they stayed in a nice RV park. Lol
Old 08-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm a big fan of staying over at Cracker Barrel restaurants. Decent people, good food, and they welcome RVers overnight (depending on local ordinances).
There is one in Staunton:
Cracker Barrel - Staunton

I-81 , Exit# 222
I-81 & US 250
128 Rowe Road
Staunton, VA 24401-9100
Located off I-81

*Bus & RV Parking Available
(540) 885-7550

call first and ask the manager if they will allow you to park overnight. Be aware though, this is parking, not camping, (no slides, awnings, grills, etc).
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Go a little further

If you don't mind driving an hour and a half longer, down along the Blue Ridge Parkway, there is a nice little campground called Wildwood Campground. Its between Roanoke and Lynchburg. While there your only 20 minutes from the natural bridge and caverns. A site worth seeing. Prices are reasonable and pet friendly. It is under new ownership and is a work in progress but I had no complaints.
But as others have mentioned Walmarts are great. There is a Supercenter in Lynchburg that is open 24 Hrs, so it is a little more secure. There is also a Pilot Truck stop right off of 81. Its smaller then the Flying J's but you can park overnite there is food and fuel 24/7 they offer WiFi for a small fee. It will work in a pinch just not real quiet with trucks coming through.
meterguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #5

I looked at the possibility of staying overnight at Walmart and found out they do not allow popups, I own a 2013 Forest River Flagstaff T12RB hard-side camper. What is the overnight policy at Cracker Barrel an/or other places with similar RV's as mine?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I have seen some popups at WalMart so what their policy is and what they enforce may be two different things.

Just a suggestion regarding your route. You may want to consider taking I-81 to I-66 East and then turning off at Rt. 17 South which will lead you to Fredricksburg on I-95. Rt. 17 is a great road and you bypass Washington. Also saves you about 57 miles from going to Staunton and cutting over on I-64. There is a WalMart on Rt. 17 right before you get to I-95.

As with most WalMarts, if you time your travels so you arrive late, set up only what you have to in order to sleep, and leave early, you should be fine.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I have seen some popups at WalMart so what their policy is and what they enforce may be two different things.

Just a suggestion regarding your route. You may want to consider taking I-81 to I-66 East and then turning off at Rt. 17 South which will lead you to Fredricksburg on I-95. Rt. 17 is a great road and you bypass Washington. Also saves you about 57 miles from going to Staunton and cutting over on I-64. There is a WalMart on Rt. 17 right before you get to I-95.

As with most WalMarts, if you time your travels so you arrive late, set up only what you have to in order to sleep, and leave early, you should be fine.
Thanks for your help, I did not realize I could bypass DC using Rt 17 and great advice concerning the Walmart before getting on I-95. i will double the distance to see if it is doable.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use the Flying J, Winchester Va. (first Va. exit). It's just about the right days travel for us, easy on/off, fuel, lunch, breakfast/coffee and back on 81 south in the morning.

We also slide into the FJ's in Gibson Pa, about 20 miles into Pa., exit 219?? good first pit stop to check the rig, tires etc. and another in Carlisle Pa. if you need to top off fuel. I think there's another near the intersection of 64 & 95 near Richmond, check their web site.

BTW welcome aboard neighbor, have a good trip and sweep the highway clean for us, we will be on our way to Florida about 10 days behind you.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
You may also want to check this website to see if there are any free camping areas along your route.
Free Campgrounds for RVs