Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I am will be in the Elkhart,Indiana area in late July (returning from Winnebago GN) and want to spend a few days in the Amish area.

I would like quiet, in-expensive campgrounds (state, town, private) in the area with water/electric. I am only going to park while sightseeing. I don't need entertainment or elaborate facilities.

I'll be in a 30 foot motorhome.
Any suggestions?

Any places I should avoid?

Wayne

sightseer 30B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I am will be in the Elkhart,Indiana area in late July (returning from Winnebago GN) and want to spend a few days in the Amish area.

I would like quiet, in-expensive campgrounds (state, town, private) in the area with water/electric. I am only going to park while sightseeing. I don't need entertainment or elaborate facilities.

I'll be in a 30 foot motorhome.
Any suggestions?

Any places I should avoid?

Wayne

Old 05-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Try Shipshewana Campground South. 260-768-4669. It is in the heart of Amish country, and quiet.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne... you might want to check out the Elkhart County 4-H & Agriculture Exposition in
Goshen IN 46528 574)533-3247. It's like a Fair Grounds located on County Rd 34, just east of Highway 33 southeast part of Goshen. Goshen's 10 miles southeast of Elkhart. Claims to be reasonable priced w/full hookups.

If you do go there post it back here on what it's like. We're planning a trip this fall and are planning on staying there.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
There is a decent CG right off the I-80 exit in Elkhart. It was very reasonable and clean. Check your Woodalls.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:13 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I was looking at Shipshewana just last night. Do you think I would need to make reservations for mid week in late July? ('m from the North East and reservations are an almost must have fro decent facilities.

I don't want to be tied to an arrival date.

The 4H fairgrounds were high on my list until I called. The annual 4H fair in on the week I will in the area so the camping area is reserved for participants and vendors only. (I will still go to the fair.

I hope the faie doesn't fill up surrounding campgrounds.

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

Wayne

Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Because there is an "event" in the area consider calling for reservations, now.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:21 AM   #8

We are staying here in July Eby,s pines. Have heard good and bad.Pics look good.Plan on doing a MH plant tour while we are there.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #9

You might enjoy the Pla-Mor campground just a few miles west of Nappanee toward Bremen. Full facilities but very large and spacious. Get a local map from one of the town's C of C officies. Only a few minutes to all the sites of interest and in the Amish country and a real treat to explore the back roads. We enjoyed our short stay at Pla-Mor while we waited for the same fair to conclude last year. The county fairgrounds was fine also.
pecosjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #10

I would recommend reservations any where in the Shipshewana area. Very busy in the summer months.
There is a shipshewana North and a South c/g. Many will use the Elkhart Co. fair grounds, there is also a KOA in the immediate area. You will enjoy your visit.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote