Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I am planning a trip from Texas to Yellowstone next summer to take my ederly Father there before he becomes unable to travel. What in your opinions would be the more ideal campsites for a 40' class A with a toad in order to take sightseeing tours and close enough to travel into a town? We will need full hookups of course.
thank you,
Brinson

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am planning a trip from Texas to Yellowstone next summer to take my ederly Father there before he becomes unable to travel. What in your opinions would be the more ideal campsites for a 40' class A with a toad in order to take sightseeing tours and close enough to travel into a town? We will need full hookups of course.
thank you,
Brinson

Old 12-25-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
With your situation, I might want to stay in West Yelowstone at Grizzly CG. Very nice, big sites, plenty of elbow room. Very close to the entrance to the park, yet within walking distance of downtown. Busy little town in summer and winter. We liked it a lot.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, if you want to be near civilization (a town) West Yellowstone is the place to go.

However, there are spaces with full hook-ups for 40-footers in Fishing Bridge CG in Yellowstone Nat'l Park.

Been there, done that!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #5

We have been to both Fishing Bridge and Grizzly. Fishing Bridge was several years ago and we found the sites to be very close to one another and not all that level, but you are in the park. We prefered Grizzly because it is right next to town, large level full hookup sites and very modern. If you have not been to Yellowstone before, I would suggest taking a tour or two. We took the Yellowstone tour (Buffalo) tours lower and upper loops on two consevitive days. The guides were very informative and the pace matched the people on the tour. They even picked us up at the front of the CG and dropped us off at our sites at the end of the day. There are several tour companys in West Yellowstone that are about equally good. There are several places to eat in West Yellowstone and everyone seam to have their pick of which is best. There is even Pizza delivery if you just want to stay in after a day of touring.

Having been there a couple of times in an RV, I prefer the west and south enterences over the east side. The west side is right thru West Yellowstone. The east side going in is very steep but you are on the mountain side, coming out the 400 foot drop offs are on you right side. Not good for a flat lander like me. Some of the things you will want to see besides Old Faithful are the mud pots, and other gizzers and most of all is the Grand Canyon with the two falls. Either coming into the park or leaving be sure to drive south on the Rockafella Parkway along the Snake river and the Grand Tetons. This will take you into Jackson, Wy.

If you are lucky, Cruzer will jump in here and give you some of his vast knowedge of this area. He has been there many times. You might want to do a seach on his name.

You do not say where you are from or where you will be going after Yellowstone. You might want to where you are from to your signature.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #6

We stayed at Yellowstone Edge RV Park in Emigrant, Montana. It's about a half hour north of the north entrance and it's near Livingston, which is a decent size town, and not too far from Bozeman. It's right on the Yellowstone River and the folks there are extremely nice and friendly. It has full hook-ups and is a nice quiet park.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We are from Southeast Texas(Orange) on the Louisiana border. Thanks for all the good information. What about Cody KOA? Is it worth considering?

Brinson
Old 12-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've been to Yellowstone several times but not in a MH. If coming in from the south thru the south entrance how is the trip around Yellowstone to the West gate? Will be in a 40' MH. I've also heard Grizzly and Cody KOA are good CG's.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #9

We stayed at the Cody KOA several years ago in the off season. We were the only camper there, except for the one that came in after we went to bed. The owners were very friendly and the place was clean and level. I don't know what it would be like during the season.
If you stay in Cody, be sure to see the Bufflo Bill museum and the old town on the west side of town. During the summer they have a rodeo.
Going from Cody to Yellowstone, you will have to use the east entrance, Sylvan pass. It is better going in than coming out, but expect to be going very slowly up the mountain. Remeber I am a flatlander from Maryland.
The loop roads can handle any size MH with out any problems that I am aware of.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am a flatlander as well and my wife and I drove our new Class A to Yellowstone and stayed at the Grizzly RV park on the west side entrance. The park is the nicest I have ever been to and would go back in a second. Top rate accomodations, laundry rooms are impeccable and close to all you will want to do.

Do not enter from the north as it just flat out stinks. I was scared to death and wouldn't wish it on any of my worse enemies. The trip in a car would of been fine, but a 36' motorhome pulling a jeep is not the ideal vehicle to be doing switchbacks with. The West entrance was awesome and the only way to go.....

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. We went everywhere while out there and spent another week in South Dakota on our way back east to Indiana.

BounderFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:17 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sixpack98:
If coming in from the south thru the south entrance how is the trip around Yellowstone to the West gate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We went throught that way last July. It was an easy drive. Yes, you go over the Continental Divide but the total rise in elevation can't be more than a few hundred feet. Very nice roadway and beautiful scenerey.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coming in from the South is awesome and is of no worries for flatlanders like me.

The trip from Jackson Hole was probably the "Best" part of Yellowstone for me.

I really enjoyed the majesty of the Tetons, Jenny Lake and the Hamburger in Jackson. There is a restaurant that has the best dang hamburger in the world and I said lets give it a try and boy were they right.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We are from Southeast Texas(Orange) on the Louisiana border. Thanks for all the good information. What about Cody KOA? Is it worth considering?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We didn't go to Cody, but all we heard was that it is worth the trip, but like many KOA's they cram ya in there. Reservations are a good idea as we tried to sneak in for a night on our way to SD but couldn't get 2 spots together and we were traveling with another couple.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #14

From TX I would not recommend accessing Yellowstone via Cody,WY! The road is narrow,very steep, twisty, with some pull-outs to allow autos to pass-or rest your engine. Enter through the South for the easiest drive.
My route from Indiana is I80 to US191 N at Rock Springs,WY; to US89 N to the park. This is a marked truck route acceptable to large rig use.
I recommend West Yellowstone for a CG. There, you will have medical facilities, just-in-case, and the road is much more RV friendly. Inside the park, the only section of public roadway to avoid with a large RV(unless you are really confident) is the NW segment of the figure 8 loop. That segment is narrow, steep in places, with few places to park a large RV.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote