Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Headed from Florida Panhandle to Asheville, NC next week. Won't be able to leave until mid afternoon on Wed. Will be going up US 231 to Dothan, then US431 on up to Columbus, GA to pick up I-185 to I-85 on to ATL, etc, etc.
Probably ease on up towards Eufalua, AL or maybe as far as Columbus, GA or a bit North of there and stop for a few winks that night before heading on to Asheville on Thursday.

We have been to several CG's in this area..White Oak COE, Lakepoint SP, FDR SP at Pine Mountain, etc but just need a place for a quick stop and then an early departure on Thursday am (need to make it to Asheville by mid afternoon on Thurs to pick up rental car for the weekend as we decided not to tow the Vue 1000 miles RT for just basically a weekend).

Anybody know of a campground in these areas that would make a good overnight stop with quick and easy access? We really like White Oak but they lock you in and you can't get out except for emergencies so that prevents an early start and my wife doesn't like Lakepoint so I'd rather not stay there unless there isn't any alternative.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Headed from Florida Panhandle to Asheville, NC next week. Won't be able to leave until mid afternoon on Wed. Will be going up US 231 to Dothan, then US431 on up to Columbus, GA to pick up I-185 to I-85 on to ATL, etc, etc.
Probably ease on up towards Eufalua, AL or maybe as far as Columbus, GA or a bit North of there and stop for a few winks that night before heading on to Asheville on Thursday.

We have been to several CG's in this area..White Oak COE, Lakepoint SP, FDR SP at Pine Mountain, etc but just need a place for a quick stop and then an early departure on Thursday am (need to make it to Asheville by mid afternoon on Thurs to pick up rental car for the weekend as we decided not to tow the Vue 1000 miles RT for just basically a weekend).

Anybody know of a campground in these areas that would make a good overnight stop with quick and easy access? We really like White Oak but they lock you in and you can't get out except for emergencies so that prevents an early start and my wife doesn't like Lakepoint so I'd rather not stay there unless there isn't any alternative.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #3

Capt Joe

Do not know what time they close but the COE park 3 miles north of West Point(Stephen Hearl--or something like that-do not have my corp book inside) on hw29 is real nice. I'm pretty sure they stay open for the winter and its right on your way. We have stayed there 2 or 3 times and love it. Have a nice trip s/Toby
Old 11-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From what you need in that area, you probably have two choices 1) Wal-Mart or 2) Truck Stop. Unless you want to detour to Auburn or Opelika the only park listed is between Newnan and Atlanta. Might consider catching a few winks at the Georgia Welcome Station or you should be able to find a safe spot to park for awhile at La Grange. Good luck! Happy motoring! If you're going to the Biltmore, don't forget the Deer Park Inn. They are always good and are fabulous at Christmas.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies.

I've been doing a bit more research and think I may have a good found a convenient place for a few winks.

I see a Federal park just North of Cottonton off 165 named Bluff Creek. I would thing it would be a COE park (and I get half price there with the America the Beautiful card). I take 165 off US 431 quite often when heading up that way towards Columbus and the campground is only about 2 miles off of 165 and with their keeping the gate open till 10pm and reopening at 7am, the timing would work out fine as it is about 340 miles from there on up to Asheville and I just need to be there around 4pm to pick up the rental car.

Matter of fact, a lot of times I prefer to take 165 instead of 431 because it's shorter and usually less traveled.

Has anybody stayed at the Bluff Creek COE park in the past and can give a review for us...mostly for my DW's ease of mind. I would certainly appreciate it. I will also do a search for any reviews too.

Thanks again,