Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

New Brunswick and Nova Scotia

Headed to Bar Harbor then into BC and Nova Scotia. I have read most of the threads and been to the Canada web site so we will not bring guns or fruits and vegetables to cross into Canada. Have passports and vehicle regulations. What else do I need to know?
eddie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #2

No fireworks, no mace, basically no weapons. Unless it's marked dog/bear spray, and that still might raise CBSA eyebrows.
Pets: Recent (less than 1 year old) valid rabies certificates from a Vet for any pets you might be bringing.
Foods: Everything in it's original packaging from the point of purchase is the best bet.
Alcohol: up to a 40oz bottle of spirits, OR 1.5L of wine, OR 1 case of 24 beers, each. Not all three. Mix and match is what we usually do when returning. We usually bring in 2 bottles of liquor, each of us claims one.
Tobacco: 1 carton of cigarettes each or (a whole mish mash of raw tobacco, cigars, etc.)
No pot. Not legal yet, but crossing the border with any will still be illegal, when pot is legal.
Not more than $10,000 in cash or negotiable instruments, unless you declare it.
No criminal offences in the US that are treated more severely in Canada. DUI is the one that usually causes problems for US citizens, because it's a criminal code offence up here, but can be a misdemeanor in the US.
There's more
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-rnc-eng.html
Old 08-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
You should know that Canada campgrounds are not the same as US campgrounds. Lots of places with questionable power, small sites, grassy, etc.

But don't let t deter you. The folks there are great and it is fun to explore there too.

Of course, no guns allowed in (and don't try to hide them). I always make a list of alcohol quantities and keep under the limits (coming and going). Every time we think we have rid ourselves of what isn't allowed we find they don't check that stuff but find other questions. And it always seems coming back to the US is more stringent.

Whatever.... go and have a fun time.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, pretty much as I anticipated. I use RV Parks and Review to set up campsites so we have 50amp hook ups through out the trip. We will be in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for 2 weeks. Are the alcohol volumes per person?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie g View Post
Thanks for the replies, pretty much as I anticipated. I use RV Parks and Review to set up campsites so we have 50amp hook ups through out the trip. We will be in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for 2 weeks. Are the alcohol volumes per person?
yes quantities are per person as mentioned in earlier post.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #6

A must do is the Cabot Trail. Look for the Black Whale Rest., and have a Lobster and a cold Schooner beer. And a stop at Truro to watch the tidal bore is a must. Pretty amazing to watch a river pushed backward when the tide come in.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
A must do is the Cabot Trail. Look for the Black Whale Rest., and have a Lobster and a cold Schooner beer. And a stop at Truro to watch the tidal bore is a must. Pretty amazing to watch a river pushed backward when the tide come in.
We are staying in Hopewell the first 2 nights after leaving Bar Harbor to watch the tides at The Rocks Provencial Park, then to Amherst the night after for a day tour of PEI. I have 3 days Scheduled near Port Hastings to explore Cabot Trail and the the West Island, then 3 days at Halifax. Any tips are appreciated.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:04 AM   #8

New Brunswick and Nova Scotia

The Reversing Falls Rapids in Saint John are interesting to see. Plan several visits to see all stages. Max out flow, slack tide (high or low), and max in flow. The birds and the seals will give you a good idea of where the fish are as the tide comes in. The Reversing Falls restaurant overlooks the rapids and has a decent lunch menu. We went back again the next day for the haddock.

Many kids in Fredericton have summer jobs in period costume for the tourists. Go to city hall for the walking tour which ends at the changing of the guard ceremony (OK, it's not Buckingham Palace). Before putting money in the meter, ask for a parking pass at the front desk in city hall. It costs nothing and will give you free car parking in the lot behind city hall and at street meters for three days. Good wifi at the library.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #9

The big thing at the border is to be nice. If you hear something you do not like accept it with a smile and thank them for helping you. If you get belligerent they have more perfectly legal ways to rain on your parade that you want to know about.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie g View Post
We are staying in Hopewell the first 2 nights after leaving Bar Harbor to watch the tides at The Rocks Provencial Park, then to Amherst the night after for a day tour of PEI. I have 3 days Scheduled near Port Hastings to explore Cabot Trail and the the West Island, then 3 days at Halifax. Any tips are appreciated.
Honk when you stop in Amherst. Guessing you are staying at loch lomond park? I live 10 minutes from there. Take hwy 6 and or 4 from amherst towards Halifax. Much better than the 104. If travelling hwy 104 there is a toll section that takes cash only. Be sure to have some on you. Rvs are $5.25 if I recall correctly. Pei could chew up 3 days if you wanted to. Cape breton is a week on it's own lol! Hwy 4 up through st. Peter's towards louisburgh is worth the detour. Enjoy the trip!
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #11

The wife has not retired yet, (18 months till her retirement) but she can work remotely if there is a mobile signal. We plan travel days to be during the week so she works from the copilot seat. We have 3 1/2 weeks but 6 days will be driving from Atlanta area and back. Leaving on Sept. 5th and returning 26th. Loving the inside information. Yes we are staying at Loch Lomond.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #12

I know this might be a dumb question but with a wineguard trav’ler Satellite dish with Direct TV have signal in Nova Scotia?
Old 08-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #13

[QUOTE=traveldawg;4342424]You should know that Canada campgrounds are not the same as US campgrounds. Lots of places with questionable power, small sites, grassy, etc.

[/QUOTE Not sure where you get that idea from. Campgrounds in Canada are the same as the USA. Every one is different, and some have more stuff than others. To say most have questionable power and grass sites is just wrong. I have been to the east coast four times in the last six years. I have traveled 20000 miles across the USA in the last two years. Some campgrounds are low end, while others are top end resorts. You get what you pay for in either country.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
[QUOTE=winniman;4344849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
You should know that Canada campgrounds are not the same as US campgrounds. Lots of places with questionable power, small sites, grassy, etc.

[/QUOTE Not sure where you get that idea from. Campgrounds in Canada are the same as the USA. Every one is different, and some have more stuff than others. To say most have questionable power and grass sites is just wrong. I have been to the east coast four times in the last six years. I have traveled 20000 miles across the USA in the last two years. Some campgrounds are low end, while others are top end resorts. You get what you pay for in either country.
winniman, I'm never sure if I want to get in a tit-for-tat defending what I say.....

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just going on my experiences in Canada. yep - you can run into same situations in US too (I've been in some of the worst places ever in the US). But based on my experience (and conducting a caravan there in addition to individual travel multiple times) I stand by my observations - lots of places with questionable power, small sites, and grass. Please note - I did not say most. If asked about some locations in Utah (and even Connecticut) I could have said the same.