Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

New Brunswick, PEI, NS...will I have a hard time finding CG's along the way?

Hi all,

We will be leaving from Philadelphia area probably mid-late July, and be gone around 3-4 weeks, with our "destination" being exploring PEI and NS. I usually like to travel without reservations, but I've never traveled to these parts of Canada.

Should I be able to find CG's on the fly? At least during the week? And for the more popular destinations up there, how far in advance will I need reservations? We are not too picky, but do prefer full hookup. For the most part we will stick to the main roads.

Thanks for any replies,

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bump. I've not traveled to these parts of Canada, but most responders to these kinds of questions recommend reservations at "destination" areas and flexibility on the road to the destinations. I'd recommend contacting an RV park at one of your destinations to see what they say about the need for reservations.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

We did that trip two summers ago and had no problems with finding places. I would get the "allstays" ap on your phone. It does a great job of finding places with lots of filters(ie natl pks, private cg, walmart, etc, etc.) I do recommend doing Bar Harbor, ME since there is a free shuttle run by LLbean to Acadia Natl Pk that stops at the campgrounds for pick up. There's one that where we stayed that did not take reservations that was great. We left about the same time as you. Had no problems in PEI or NS getting spaces. Have a great trip.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

You should be good, only potential problems would be the July 1st weekend (Canada Day) and the first Monday weekend in August the 7th this year. (Provincial holiday). I never plan ahead and being from the Maritimes, I've always been able to find a spot somewhere. PEI can sometimes be tricky the last two weeks of July if you are looking at the Cavendish area, but normally you'll always find a spot both in PEI and NS.
RoddieMacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips guys. I've always used the RV Parky app., and like it, especially for a free app.

I'll check out allstays.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #6

We used ioverlander.com for both places we stayed in Nova Scotia and both places in PEI. We used ioverlander for all 8 places in Labrador and 10 places in Newfoundland as well. We used no RV parks in Nova Scotia or PEI. Used one park in Labrador but would have been better served with ioverlander. Did stay in two RV parks in Newfoundland. Best places in Newfoundland was going to a fishing village and asking if and where we could park. Friendliest people in the world
Reed and Elaine
Currently in Puerto SAN Blas, Nayarit
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We spent this past summer traveling around the Canadian maritime provinces. There is a strong chance that you would encounter difficulty over long weekends but you should be okay at other times. We have a 43 ft motorhome so the available spaces are more limited. For this reason we did book sites a day or two ahead and did not have any issues at all.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #8

Thanks again