Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
New England Fall Foilage help

Hey all we’re planning on heading North to watch the changing of the colors end of Sept and follow it south.
I’m wondering if any of you all can provide some experienced advice, roads to maximize or experience, the best camp grounds, food (lobsters) etc and so on. We know there’s a fairly tight window. We plan to head to Maine and head south.
We have a 43 DP with tow car. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Roy, Sharon and Bailee (our Little labradoodle)
SharonandRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 PM   #2

A basic route through to I-81 would look like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/VnuC1LmzPkhXxrz56

Takes you through the White Mountains (Stop at Mt. Washington for sure), the Green Mountains, The Adirondack and Catskill Mountains.

The ride on I-81 South through the Shenandoah Valley is beautiful, and you can jump over to the Blue Ridge Parkway any time you like.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:08 PM   #3

Unless things have changed in the past few years , many of the RV parks in the area will be shut down for the winter ( New England States ) they were in 2010.
We were in the Atlantic Provinces and NES the last half of Sept and first week of Oct. and were on the move at short notice twice to avoid hurricanes , and forced to leave about a week before the full color change.

JMHO: Any RV park info you receive , look for a web site giving dates of operation ; one park had shut down the laundry and toilets , drained the pool and shut down the store and was still charging full rates.
Also keep an eye on the forecast .
Old 08-16-2019, 06:10 AM   #4
IC2

When Columbus Day arrives, many if not most RV parks in the Northeast close. We are leaving the Adirondacks on Sept 4 to do one more New Englnad tour from the Calais area of Maine, back through NH and Vemont. The leaves wont have turned but most of the tourists have gone home and it is a beautiful time. NY along Rt 2 to I-81 is very nice. PA through to VA can be beautiful but the traffic can be horrendous along I-81. US-11 pretty much parallels I-81. Lots of cities small to pretty large but it can be enjoyable if you have the time. We were in VA a couple years back in mid/late October - beautiful.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thank you
SharonandRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonandRoy View Post
Hey all we’re planning on heading North to watch the changing of the colors end of Sept and follow it south.
I’m wondering if any of you all can provide some experienced advice, roads to maximize or experience, the best camp grounds, food (lobsters) etc and so on. We know there’s a fairly tight window. We plan to head to Maine and head south.
We have a 43 DP with tow car. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Northwood NH , Saddleback campground. Goldenrod Restaurant off of 101 in Manchester New Hampshire exit 1 off 101 go around the rotary and take the first right. From the camp every place is a day drive. Rt 1 up the coast into NH and Maine.
The North End! in Boston for Italian food like you never had before. All the sauces taste different but incredible. You can reach these from Salisbury State Park in Massachusetts but on the NH border. You can see Plum Island across the river which is nextdoor to Newburyport Massachusetts.
Tuckaway tavern in Raymond New Hampshire 20-minute ride from the campground best steak tips you'll ever taste off of route 101 as well in Raymond New Hampshire. I could go on and on but that'll keep you busy. I just thought of a couple more, Giuseppe's restaurant at the Inn at Mills falls Meredith New Hampshire. You'll be sitting at the headwaters of lake Winnipesaukee and across from there there's another hotel ( same company) with two more restaurants excellent excellent place. Salisbury State Park in Massachusetts on the coast from there you can go to Newburyport an old shipyard town just North of Boston ( do the North end from here) now that will really keep you busy. Mount Washington do this on the clearest day.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #7

This might help with dates:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/peak-fall-foliage-dates
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Like mentioned above, most CG's shut down for the season pretty early in New England. If your planning allows, Rhode Island has some interesting foliage and along the southern coast near Narragansett, you can find a local delegacy known as a "Clam Cake". Goes great with chowda. And that could be right along your route to Mystic CT where the KOA is open year round.

I'm a little biased as RI was where I was raised and I still refer to it as "home" even though I've not had a residence there since 1970!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
VT 7/7A or VT100 are musts for leaf peepers. I’d avoid the coast if your goal is to see fall color, the forests with best colors are inland. Most of Vermont should be past peak by Columbus Day when campgrounds start to shut down. Southern Vermont and the Berkshires are usually peak right around Columbus Day. From there you can work your way through the Hudson River Valley, Catskills and on into the Poconos before continuing down I-81 through Virginia.
TC Wndsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonandRoy View Post
Thanks in advance.
The Golden Rod Restaurant has the best fried clams! Huge portions and leave room for there home made ice cream, it's incredible. Saddleback Campground , site 1 is our favorite although the new owners are doing alot to the campsites. They also take Passport America and could possibly accommodate after season? Great home base.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote