Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I read somewhere that Nova Scotia had banned RV parking in anything other than a commercial campground (i.e., no Walmart, etc. parking allowed). Not sure if that's still in effect.
Not in effect and Not true
From my MLA (NS Govt Legislative representative)

Quote:
Hi Willis I have contacted the researcher at the NDP Caucus office and this is the information she has provided:

There is NO SUCH THING as RV parking ban legislation; it doesn't exist and it is not illegal to park your RV in a parking lot anywhere in Nova Scotia , unless that mall or store has signs telling you not to.

There is a law about operating unlicensed campgrounds, but the difference would be if WalMart charged overnight fees and offered services like showers, etc. Simply stopping overnight is definitely *not* illegal.

The province has allowed the misguided impression to spread that it is illegal. The documents I got through freedom of information clearly state from the Dept. of Tourism: legal opinion is clear that the province does not have the jurisdiction to ban RV parking in parking lots.

Thank you for asking for an update I am glad to have this new information on hand.
I hope you enjoy the rally!
Jeanine
Constituency Assistant for Clarrie MacKinnon
MLA for Pictou East
1905 Main St, Westville, NS B0K 2A0
ph: 902-396-1853 fax: 902-396-1803
The signs were the result of a drive by camp ground owners and the Tourist Industry Associations that convinced Wal Mart and others that they were breaking the law and backed by a do nothing Govt that remained silent about the issue.
Those signs have since been removed you can park anywhere where permitted. There is one Wally on Mumford road in Halifax where overnight parking is not allowed (that's the only one I know of)

Cheers
Willey

WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #16

I have stayed in the Goldbrook camp ground in Vermont and loved it. In mid October it was very cold and crisp but I saw the milky way for the first time in decades. Vermont and Lake George in New York will be your best bet. Drive by CT. Maine has a few campgrounds open all year round but they are on the coast. Stay off of I-95 at any time of the season. Be prepared to discover some of the oldest, twistiest, narrowest and pot holed roads to ever batter an RV suspension.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleyB View Post
Quote:
I read somewhere that Nova Scotia had banned RV parking in anything other than a commercial campground (i.e., no Walmart, etc. parking allowed). Not sure if that's still in effect.

Not in effect and Not true

Cheers
Willey

Hi Willey,

Thanks for the info.

My comments were based on this study: THE ECONOMIC EFFECTS IN NOVA SCOTIA OF THE RV OVERNIGHT PARKING BAN AND ASPECTS OF CAMPGROUND MINIMUM STANDARDS, published by Andrew Cornwall, copyright 2005 – 2006 available as a .pdf here: http://www.escapees.com/edocs/rv-report.pdf

In this report, the author stated that the ban had been in contained in legislation passed in 1994 (Tourist Accommodation Act). It just wasn’t until 2004, in an effort to promote campground stays, that the provision was enforced. Rodney MacDonald, the then Minister of Tourism, Heritage and Culture is quoted, “Our government and the campground industry consider camping in locations such as Walmart [sic] parking lots illegal. The Tourist Accommodations Act and Regulations requires all land owners who plan to offer this type of ‘camping’ to have a license to do so.”

The author of the study makes a case for a distinction between camping and overnight parking. His study concludes that an attempt to promote campground use by discouraging overnight parking in a Wal-Mart did, in fact, give RVers the impression that Nova Scotia is unfriendly to RV’s. Thus, discouraging their visits to NS and reducing the desired economic benefit to campgrounds.

At any rate, it looks like the info provided by Jeanine, Constituency Assistant for Clarrie MacKinnon suggests that, currently, with permission, it’s OK to park overnight in a Wal-Mart (or other business) parking lot.

That’s good news!

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I will be in the Vergennes, VT area around October 10 and had no problem finding RV Parks. I have The Trailer Life Directory CD and it easy to find places that are open .
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi Willey,

Thanks for the info.

My comments were based on this study: THE ECONOMIC EFFECTS IN NOVA SCOTIA OF THE RV OVERNIGHT PARKING BAN AND ASPECTS OF CAMPGROUND MINIMUM STANDARDS, published by Andrew Cornwall,
Hi Stu, you're quite welcome and feel free to use the information, and there is a lot more. That was the first nail in the coffin, many more nails were required before the signs came down. Take a guess at who was blamed for them, if you guessed WM then you'd be right. Politicians are always blameless.
It was within the first two weeks of August 2007 that the signs came down, it took a few more weeks to settle down the NS Tourism web site to accept that there was no such thing as indiscriminate camping and that if there was it wasn't illegal (I believe it was the third week I received an email telling me the web site was changed and that they hoped I was satisfied now I didn't bother answering
You are correct quoting Andy, and at the time it was true his study is Fact. Rodney MacDonald was tourism minister and later to become Premier. At the time I was corresponding with Stan Birch who did a lot of posting of the facts. If it were not for those two gentlemen it might still be going on.
There were a lot of RV'ers (from many States in the US and Provinces in Canada) involved letter writing and emailing about their displeasure and the politicians answered, this is where local Nova Scotians got the ammunition to help put an end to it by lobbying their representatives.
This is going sort of off topic so if you want more or need more info to put an end to it PM or email me.
Cheers
Willey
Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleyB View Post
That was the first nail in the coffin, many more nails were required before the signs came down. Take a guess at who was blamed for them, if you guessed WM then you'd be right.

This is going sort of off topic so if you want more or need more info to put an end to it PM or email me.
Cheers
Willey
Willey,

Thanks for your efforts at ending this foolishness.

I'm new to the RV thing, so I'm busy trying to learn...learn how everything on the coach works and learn proper etiquette. Cornwall's study was a fascinating read for me. It clearly differentiated between "camping" and spending the night in a parking lot. He also provided empirical evidence that the average RV'er spends 10 nights in a campground for each night on someone's parking lot. For most, it's not a money issue (free parking lot vs. pay campground), it's more about convenience. Just need to stop for 10 hours to get 8 hours sleep. Cornwall's description of parking lot etiquette was enlightening, for me.

Now, more on topic, our trip 3 years ago was our first visit to Nova Scotia. I hope it's an indication of how much we were impressed with the culture, hospitality and scenery of your beautiful Province that we're planning on making our return as the destination of choice for our first extended motorhome trip after I retire in about a year. Can't wait to get back to Cape Breton Island!

Thanks, again, for your efforts on our behalf.

Take care,
Stu

Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Can't wait to get back to Cape Breton Island!
Don't tell anyone, I was born there. Don't hardly go back, it's been about 5 years since the last time, planning a visit this summer sometime
BTW there's a new rest area off Exit 21 TCH 104 that you can overnight at, however I'd prefer the Wal Mart or Canadian Tire at Exit 23 "no trucks"

Cheers
Willey