Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New England States

Thinking of going to the Boston and Maine area in August. What would be the chances of going without reservations this time of the year. Would be moving every couple of nights. Anyone have any comments or have done this during August??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
Thinking of going to the Boston and Maine area in August. What would be the chances of going without reservations this time of the year. Would be moving every couple of nights. Anyone have any comments or have done this during August??
Stubborn,
First off, there is quite a difference between "The Boston" and "Maine" areas. Not sure of your interests but in the Boston area your best bet with out reservations are Normandy farms,(a little pricey), Canoe River, (a few steps below Normandy) or the Cape area, ( pretty well booked this time of year). Regarding Maine, thats a pretty vague discription. It's only 400 miles from Kittery to Madawaska. Just remember Maine is a vacationland and half of Boston is alreay here in the summer. There are many campgrounds in many different settings. I might suggest you call ahead for the most of the locations. Also remember the closer to the coast, the more tourists you will find. Be glad to help further if I knew what area you were headed to.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #3

I did a similar trip last August. I started in Vermont then went to various areas in N.H. but ran into a little bit of a problem in southern Maine. But I understand that southern Maine is more crowded. All was done without resevations with the exception of southern Maine. This year I started camping in NE coastal Maine and made a reservation (state park) but didn't need to and then upper coastal Maine without and then all over New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and then back to northern Maine to the border of NH/Mass. So my answer would be not to worry but do keep track of where the Walmarts are located.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are originally from Maine, now living in KY. We just returned from an 8 wk stay in Maine (Bangor area) to visit family, etc. Since there are limited campgrounds in the Boston area, it is almost as easy to get a campground in NH or southern Maine and make day trips to Boston. There is a great campground in Berwick, Maine (right on the NH border and about 60+ miles from the greater Boston area. The name of the campground is, Beaver Dam Campground, and we highly recommend it, although reservations for this time of the year should be considered. Please feel free to e-mail me or call me here in E-town if you would like additional information. Phone # (270) 769-9319. Good luck with your plans and enjoy Maine and New England!

Bronk
Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
After reading your post again I realize what you are asking for. Last week we spent a night right off of I 95 around Portsmouth, NH. I guess its about 70 miles from Boston. The park is called Black Bear and it had most of the amenities that we prefer. Our only draw back was the wifi wasn't available at our pull thru site. We couldn't hear the interstate traffic and most of the sites were shaded. And there were beaches near by. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #6

Call ahead.. We are in Old Orchard Beach and the park is full.. Mostly french canadians (a seasonal said the next three weeks are always packed full because of Canadian holidays) but as said earlier many people from the northeast.

Someone just got in next to us who said they had tried a place called Powderhorn and were told there was currently a wait list for spots? I'm not sure how that works- but it makes sense for just how busy it is here now..
Old 07-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'll be headed that way in mid-August. Have a spot in northern Maine waiting, but the trip there is going to be a crapshoot. Hope that term doesn't foreshadow my trip!
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #8

I don't think you will have problems anywhere so long as you stop by 5 PM. The roads and campgrounds are not crowded this year in my opinion with gas and the economy being what it is.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #9

Where is the spot you mentioned. I spent about 10 days in coastal and northern Maine recently. My favorite by far is in Lubec although Camden Hills State park was excellant. When I traveled to Northern NH and Maine last August I didn't have any problems until I was returning and stopped in Southern Maine. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a10koaksfed View Post
I'll be headed that way in mid-August. Have a spot in northern Maine waiting, but the trip there is going to be a crapshoot. Hope that term doesn't foreshadow my trip!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We recently spent five nights at Red Apple Campground near Kennebunkport (nice place). We had made reservations weeks in advance. Those that came in without reservations were either turned away because the place was full, or only able to stay one night if an empty site was available, though they were looking for a multi night stay.

I'm not sure I would head up to that area without a reservation if I'm wanting to stay for several days.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #11

there is an outdoor world in sturbridge massachusetts which is a easy drive for boston trips. Be aware their policy is when you get there you pick the site you want so it pays to be there early .