Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
New England trip planning July and or August time frame

We are planning a trip from Oklahoma to Maine later this summer. I could use all the advise and recommendations that all might offer.
I recently had a friend tell me that this was a difficult trip for someone who had never been there. He made comments about roads and highways with restrictions, like low clearances, size and length restrictions, and tunnels with propane restrictions. He said it can be a nightmare if you don't know where you are going and have specific knowledge of the limitations. I would ask is this true? How can ai plan ahead to avoid these problems?

And at the same time ai would appreciate recommendations for things to see and do in the New England area.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 02:02 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We spent a month in New England 10 years ago and had no problems. Hit all the states up there and really enjoyed it.

I will say driving in downtown Boston is interesting but certainly not difficult.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #3

If your coming thru NY use I86 off I90 near Erie PA to I81 north in Binghamton NY to I88 to Albany NY area you will be put on the thruway it will be free then get off at exit 24 and take 90 which is a freebie to the Mass pike. Do not use 90, (NY thruway) past I86 thru NY it will cost you a fortune.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New England is a large area. How long are you planning on being here? Your answer may help us give you better info.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #5

July & Aug. are certainly the busy time for coastal Maine. Reservations are recommended. If you want to see Boston, then I recommend Minuteman Campground. They can give all the info on how to get into Boston. Without knowing where you intend to go, it's hard to make recommendations. We're headed to Bucksport, Me.(Shady Oaks campground) for two months(Jul. & Aug.) It's a small campground but nicely located for daytripping in the towed. That's what I'd recommend. Find a place located in an area you want to see, then you can pretty much take day trips. This will be our fourth summer in Maine, the LOBSTAH are calling. Check out www.rvparkreviews.com for ideas.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #6

We love Maine, but as has been said, reservations are recommended especially for Bar Harbor and coastal areas south. We like the less traveled finds and for that I would recommend Lubec, St. Agatha, Greenville and Jackman. Greenville is on Moose Head Lake and a very pretty area. Lubec is off a coastal bay with Eagles easy to see fishing. St. Agatha is near the top point of the state with a nice lake and easy access to Canada. Jackman is pretty remote. In our experience the best area to see Moose would be around Greenville.

For Vermont I would recommend Apple Island Resort in South Hero on an Island on Lake Champlain and Proudy Beach Campground in Newport.

The Adirondack Park in New York along with the Alexandria Bay area are very nice.

Enjoy your trip. This will be the first summer in several years when we won't make it.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #7

I'll 2nd downeast Me., Lubec or maybe Harrington where the owner will cook & deliver lobster to your door for $7 Lb. We would order a bunch, have some for dinner while picking the meat of some for huge lobster salads the next day. Yuuummmm!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobstahs Sunset Point Cmpgrd. Harrington, Me..jpg
Views:	55
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	95381  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Going thru Vermont, you have Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream plant tour. Also the New England Maple Museum. Can't really think of restrictions that stand out. There are some routes across the Green Mtns. in VT. you would only do in a car. But otherwise routes I-89, route 4 or route 9 are all fine for getting over the mountains that run up the state from north to south.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #9

Also Rte 100 in Vermont is good. Avoid 108 between Stowe Resort and Smugglers Notch Resort as it is very steep and narrow.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:56 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Smugglers Notch Rock in Road picture.

Just to clarify Route 108 is fine from I-89 north past the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Plant tour into the town of Stowe and then up to the Stowe ski resort.

But you will not be able to go any further on 108 (Past the ski resort) if you have "any" trailer or motor-home including a class C. Maybe a very small class B.

VT. pictures from our last trip there in 2010.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
My suggestion would be to plan your route to stay North/West of the coast (Like Rt.81). Thus missing the Baltimore, Philly, NY, coastal CT. corridor.
Rt.95 North of Va. all the way up to Boston is where all the nightmares are!

Great recommendation by Ramets on Minuteman Campground if you're interested in exploring Boston. Keep MH away from city & go by either toad or public transportation.

As mentioned, July/Aug. is prime time in N.E.
I'd plan ahead for reservations.
Cape Cod is great to explore (can also make day trips to Martha's Vinyard/Nantucket), but plan to hit mid-week. Thursday thru Monday can have crazy tourist traffic heading over the bridges.

My campground recommendations:
MinuteMan & Normandy Farms near Boston.
Bayview & Shady Knoll good spots for exploring Cape Cod.
Danforth Bay in New Hampshire.
Wells Beach Resort nice for exploring South coast Maine.
The Portable Summer Cottage II * 2000 GBM/99 F53. Steer-Safe, Ultra-Trac, Bilsteins, Sumitomo's, CHF, & Eternabond. Mod it & keep her rolling! Pics & Mods:http://s69.photobucket.com/user/scot...20Cottage%20II
NAUTIQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As the poster stated above. Reservations are needed during July ,August and October. In North Central Vermont we stay 7 nights at Lake Dunmore's Kamperville. I made my reservation in Dec. The two VT. State parks I made in jan.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Baileys ca ground in portlanspd Maine...then on to bar harbor. Can't go wrong
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #14

We just spent the weekend camping at Button Bay State Park, on Lake Champlain south of Vergennes VT. The CG was only about 1/4 full as opposed to Memorial Day weekend when we couldn't get in. Absolutely beautiful!

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote