Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #15

automobile Club of Southern California!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 03:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
GV,

Get Over It....
Pry the lock off you wallet and blow the price of a night at a campground on Delorme Street Atlas and the GPS. Then take the time to learn to use most of the features. It will tell you where to look for a place to hold up for the night. It will tell you where to plan to buy fuel. You can make it take a scenic route or the fast way. That is just the planning part. . . . .

Matt
Matt, Can I pick your brain? I just acquired Street Atlas and there is ONE thing that I don't like and it's probably just something I'm doing wrong.

Example - With GPS activated - Say I'm on day 2 of a 13 day trip and I want to know my remaining distance/time left for the day (stop #2). It is only giving me the stats based on the end stop of the trip. I know I can go to directions and do the math to figure it out but I really would like it to come up on the screen based on my day not my trip. Make sense?

Old 06-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpusher View Post
Matt, Can I pick your brain? I just acquired Street Atlas and there is ONE thing that I don't like and it's probably just something I'm doing wrong.

Example - With GPS activated - Say I'm on day 2 of a 13 day trip and I want to know my remaining distance/time left for the day (stop #2). It is only giving me the stats based on the end stop of the trip. I know I can go to directions and do the math to figure it out but I really would like it to come up on the screen based on my day not my trip. Make sense?
RV,

I think I know your problem.
Even if you run all the tutorials, you will miss some things. SA is not a PHD (Push Here Dummy) program, but all of this power is not intuitive, but only have to find it once.

When you laid out the 13 day trip, did you mark some of the stops as over-night? You can find this by going to Route/Advanced. Over at the right are four buttons Calculate, Reveres, Stop Pref, Make Via. Stop Preferences is what you want, click on that. That box gives you three choices, End of Day, Fuel, and Duration (select hours, minutes)
If you select EOD, then that first right pair of columns will be just this day's travel if you are in list mode. If you are in Turns mode, the day will show.
If you select Fuel, it will move all the little gas pumps down the route. (This is where you put the cursor on the gas pump and read the zip at the bottom of the screen and plug that into GasBuddy.)
If you plug in a duration it will subtract that time from the day's drive.
When you are traveling with computer in "Directions" mode and the GPS running, there will be two boxes at the right of the directions screen that are the next stop and finish for the day.
In the Directions/List, the column headings can be changed and rearranged to better suit your needs.

There are other Easter eggs in there too. The tutorials and help are great, that little question mark brings up help topics. If you can't find it, ask where it is.

I am not here all that often but if you come back to this topic with an other question, it should tell me.

Matt
Old 06-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
RV,

I think I know your problem.
Even if you run all the tutorials, you will miss some things. SA is not a PHD (Push Here Dummy) program, but all of this power is not intuitive, but only have to find it once.

When you laid out the 13 day trip, did you mark some of the stops as over-night? You can find this by going to Route/Advanced. Over at the right are four buttons Calculate, Reveres, Stop Pref, Make Via. Stop Preferences is what you want, click on that. That box gives you three choices, End of Day, Fuel, and Duration (select hours, minutes)
If you select EOD, then that first right pair of columns will be just this day's travel if you are in list mode. If you are in Turns mode, the day will show.
If you select Fuel, it will move all the little gas pumps down the route. (This is where you put the cursor on the gas pump and read the zip at the bottom of the screen and plug that into GasBuddy.)
If you plug in a duration it will subtract that time from the day's drive.
When you are traveling with computer in "Directions" mode and the GPS running, there will be two boxes at the right of the directions screen that are the next stop and finish for the day.
In the Directions/List, the column headings can be changed and rearranged to better suit your needs.

There are other Easter eggs in there too. The tutorials and help are great, that little question mark brings up help topics. If you can't find it, ask where it is.

I am not here all that often but if you come back to this topic with an other question, it should tell me.

Matt
Matt, thank you so much. Just went in and found those advanced features - can't believe I didn't see that before. Duh, on my part. Really appreciate your taking the time to write out all of those directions. I now really, really like Street Atlas.