Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #1

New Google Map sucks

It only allows 10 locations amongst other annoying "improvements" - what to you recommend for route/trip planner?

Please don't say Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, Bing Maps or MapQuest.

Thanks!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
If you are a Goodsam member, they have an online trip planner. I'm using it now to plan a trip.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

Microsoft Streets & Trips
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Still using my 2010 S&T (Streets & Trips) Not many new HI ways have been built in the last 5 years. I find some exit numbers have changed, and new neighborhood have been built, but it is still working for me. A shame MS no longer supports it.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #5

DeLorme Street Atlas. You don't need internet to create your maps. You can then either use it as navigation with it's own GPS or transfer the map to your GPS. We've used it for over 20 years.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use roadtrippers.com

Works really well, its a googlemaps overlay program. You can plug in just about everything. The thing that I like is that it tells you have far between each destination both in miles and time, tracks your fuel, etc. Can pull it up from your cell phone, etc. Its really very simple.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Still using my 2010 S&T (Streets & Trips) Not many new HI ways have been built in the last 5 years. I find some exit numbers have changed, and new neighborhood have been built, but it is still working for me. A shame MS no longer supports it.
My copy is newer.(2013 I think). but.. Same idea

Before I got this I downloaded the trial version of 2011. They wanted over 100 bucks for the license and another 50 for the GPS dongle.

Got 2013 (or 2012 but I think 3) dongle and all for about sixty bucks.. I will use it as long as I can,, kept the install CD.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #8

I've ruled out Microsoft and DeLorme as I don't want to pay that much...if anything.

I've tried Roadtripper and can't remember why I stop...something it didn't do that I wanted.

I'll try Good Sam. Just have one question: can you change your end point?

Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #9

No on the Good Sam trip planner. I type in an RV park with the city name and it can't find it. Tried it on a couple of different parks and still a no go. I'm surprised an outfit like Good Sam wouldn't let you search for a park without have the street address.

I want to be able to type in the park, city, state and it finds it...like Google maps does.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
rvparky if you are just looking for places in each city fuel, rv parks , walmarts
Old 06-14-2015, 11:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree that the new Google Maps are terrible but you can still access Google Maps Classic. I'm not at my PC right now but I think there is a menu item on the lower right that gives you a choice to use the Classic version. ------ Jim
Geaux Tigers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:11 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
I agree that the new Google Maps are terrible but you can still access Google Maps Classic. I'm not at my PC right now but I think there is a menu item on the lower right that gives you a choice to use the Classic version. ------ Jim

Can't get the Classic version now. I used to really like Google Maps but the new one is rather disappointing to say the least.

I am now experimenting with this one:

https://www.here.com/?x=ep&map=36.82...7838,12,normal
Old 06-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #13

GV,

Get Over It....
Pry the lock off you wallet and blow the price of a night at a campground on Delorme Street Atlas and the GPS. Then take the time to learn to use most of the features. It will tell you where to look for a place to hold up for the night. It will tell you where to plan to buy fuel. You can make it take a scenic route or the fast way. That is just the planning part.

Spend another half a night at a cheap campground for an inverter so you can run it underway and now you have a BIG map with a "You Are Here" meatball. You may want to velcro the laptop to the driver's table....

When you want to know more, go over to the Discovery Owners website and download the overlays that show you lots of things. Pick any.....

And, it all will keep working when you don't have any internet.

Now, if you are carrying a smart phone. (Data can get expensive.) So only use it when you need to use GasBuddy to find you a good price for fuel about where you may want to buy it. Always pull back a state because some are better than others. SA will give you a zip code to feed to GB to start the ball rolling.

If you update it underway, it will correct the fuel and overnights to fit what really happened. If you add a stop with a hold time or change a route because someone you met advised it (for what ever reason), No Problemo. It just wrinkles everything down the way until it fits.

Way Back When, I used internet planning tools. And the only time the plan was not completely junk by the end of the second day was when it was only a two day trip. Now we do month long/ ~5K mile excursions and my intel is good everyday. We never up "stretching" or "cropping" a day because the plan didn't work. The plan is always current. If you learn to use these modern tools, they can save the purchase cost in a single not very long excursion.

It can do all this, but you have to be willing to take the time to learn to use it. There are good tutorials built right in the package.

Matt
Old 06-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
Microsoft Streets & Trips

That is what I use.. it is a discontinued product so if you find it in stores it is often cheap.. I got mine in 2013 for 67 bucks INCLUDING a GPS dongle for the laptop. AND what's more it was not discontinued till 2014 so you may well find it today for around 5-10 bucks sans the dongle.. With dongle it's going to cost more.

There is also a Rand McNalley product or two, with and without dongle.. I believe still in production.