Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Question New member question........ :)

New here (obviously) and new to full-time RV'ing. Just going into our 4th week (and LOVING IT so far!) .....

We are going to be in the Cottonwood, AZ area in a couple of months and today received a brochure from Thousand Trails and see there's a campground in Verde Valley, AZ.

To stay at a TT campground, are we required to be TT members??? I could call TT myself, but everything I'm reading on this forum about them talks about their high pressure sales' pitches, so I'm hesitant to go that route just yet.

KZ Escalade Sportster Toyhauler + '06 Dodge Diesel 1-ton.
Full-timers beginning 09-09-2011
dbandpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Welcome to the forum. You're going to get both pros and cons on this issue. I'm personally not in favor of them as I feel that they are the RV version of a bad time share. I went through the high pressure sales pitch with one, compared it to some other local friends who had done others and decidedm NO Way! In all honesty, I've got a couple of old friends that have gone that way for years and they loved it.

Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
When we are in that area, we always stay at Zane Grey RV park south of Camp Verde on hwy 260 about 5 miles. It's an older park but decent and quiet with great folks. We take the toad and go up 260 to Strawberry and Pine that are small towns in the timber. Lots to see in the Camp Verde area.
Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Hi dbandpj,
Welcome to iRV2. One does not need to be a member to stay at a TT property. Not all properties are the same. In addition, the time of year may limit or eliminate non member guests. The best advice I can give is to call the property you are interested in and ask.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
dbandpj - welcome to IRV2.com!

Run, DO NOT WALK away from TT. Six to eight thousand dollar buy-in. And for that you get older, run down parks with no reserved site. After you get there, you have the privilege of driving around and trying to find one you like. We have a coach that needs 50 amp service and many a night we had to stay in a 30 amp site because all the 50's were full. Finally figured out there aren't that many 50 amps in many of their parks.

You do not have access to all the parks listed on the TT website. Many are - "you have to pay an additional fee (thousands) to get access to these parks."

And then there is their "Not-Our-Fault' policy. We had a TT-employee driven mower run into our tailpipe/bumper in TT Orlando. Bent tailpipe (nearly crushed actually) and damaged paint on the coach. Called the site manager, and he came out and took photos, wrote up his notes and submitted it to 'corporate'.

Shortly thereafter we get a form letter from a corporate lawyer telling us that the fine print of the contract say that "TT is not responsible for any damage incured while you are on their property" so sad, so sorry, go fix it yourself.

Mark & Sheila Heilman & The 3 Fur-Ball Princesses - Nikko, Mai-Thai & Andy
'07 MADP 4523, 2012 GMC Terrain SLT 2 wd
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, M&G Engineering Dinghy Braking System

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club
This is our 2nd year RVing in a 38' fifith wheel. The first few time out we sort of stumbled around and stayed at some not so great parks and were tempted to have a look at the membership only places. Have a look at the secondary market for these memberships. Theres a ton of them out there. We now use rvparkreviews.com exclusively. Its honest reviews by campers and RVers and too date we haven't hit a bad park. My advice the first year is to look around. Ask lots of questions and check around the internet. You don't need to spend a ton of money.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
Thank you everyone!!

Thank you EVERYONE for your great, great responses. I love each and every answer I received!!!

Obviously TT is a disaster but this RV website is FANTASTIC!

So pleased with everyone's replies and we will be checking out the Camp Verde area.

GREAT suggestions!

(Love the RUN don't WALK comment too!) hehehehe
KZ Escalade Sportster Toyhauler + '06 Dodge Diesel 1-ton.
Full-timers beginning 09-09-2011
dbandpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I agree with everyone. Membership CG are not worth the money you pay. We use the internet, Good Sams, Koa, and IRV2, to find out about what parks are good to stay at and which ones aren't.

We stayed a few days and Zane Grey in Camp Verde. Great place.

Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote