Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #1

New Orleans and Mardi Gras

There is an old thread on New Orleans but it is pretty outdated and doesn't have much Mardi Gras specific info. My wife and I are planning on heading to NOLA for 5 days over Mardi Gras before spending a week at Hilton Head Island. The French Quarters RV Resort is off our list because they want $250 per night during Mardi Gras. Right now we're looking at KOA New Orleans. Has anyone stayed there? Are there any other campgrounds within Uber distance that we should look at? We're looking for a clean, relatively quiet place to hang our hats with easy access to exploring the city.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #2

Betty's RV Park: 2118 S State St, Abbeville, LA 70510Phone:(337) 893-7057

Old 06-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #3

If you mean the New Orleans West KOA, 11129 Jefferson Highway, River Ridge, LA then Yes we have stayed there for several days. The RV park backs up to a residential neighborhood and across the highway is a levee. I recall that it was quiet while we were there. Interior roads are paved as are parking pads, concrete sidewalks and grass between sites. Two rows of all back-in sites. They have a small pool. They offered once-a-day shuttle service to downtown. The drive downtown was pretty easy.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

I try to avoid KOA (Keep On Adding)
Old 06-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
RVM1

KOA NOLA West has great reviews. I wouldn't hesitate!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My gf lived in NOLA, and we actually just got back from a vacation there. We're looking to spend Feb in NOLA as well after we start full-timing. FQ RV Park is definitely worth the 250/night. The FQ is great and is a must see at least once, but there is so much more that NOLA has to offer. It gets pretty darn rowdy (and dirty) during mardi gras. There are some great restaurants, bars, and shops, but Bourbon St. is very touristy (think what Times Sq is to NYC).

Doesn't look like the KOA is showing Feb rates this early, but they're like $50/night in Jan. One thing to keep in mind is that Uber is dirt cheap in NOLA. It's fairly new to the city and there are LOTS of drivers. Regular cabs are very cheap too. The KOA to FQ looks like it would only be about $20-25, so even if KOA is $100 for mardi gras, with 2 rides, you're still saving $100 bucks a day.

We also are looking at Pelican and Ponchartrain RV parks out east, and look to be the same distance. I recall the reviews on one saying it was in a questionable neighborhood, but was gated and felt safe. They look like family run spots.

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about staying close to the FQ.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

If you do not require full hook ups, I suggest Bayou Signette State Park. It is about a 15 minute drive to the Algiers Ferry (paid parking at the ferry landing) and the ferry drops you off right in the French Quarter. It is pretty nice as the campground was redone after Katrina. It is an urban campground though.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll second the reply of jpharley. We stayed at Bayou Signette for the 2014 Mardi Gras. Just for info, there were two RV Caravans at the Park while we were there. Of course they had tour buses hauling them to the French Quarter.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #9

Bourbon Street reeks of piss and vomit. One time was 1 time too many.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #10

We will not be going back. For us a one day visit was enough.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Our home is in the Bywater (historic neighborhood below the Quarter). When we are getting ready to head for a road trip, we put our motorhome at Ponchartrain Landing. It is dirt, so when it rains, it can be a bit muddy, but otherwise, good hookups, nice people and quiet. Pretty close to the French Quarter and I know they do have a shuttle to take you there. Decent restaurant on the property. They do have a new section that is gravel, so that one might not get as muddy.

Mardi Gras is really for young people who want to get drunk, act out and make fools of themselves. If I were you, come for either French Quarter Fest or Jazz Fest instead of Mardi Gras. You will get a much better opinion of New Orleans at those times. Wonderful history, food and people (if you come at the right time!)

And if you do come for Mardi Gras ... do realize all those stupid people being nasty are tourists ..... not locals! Locals leave for Mardi Gras. Anyway ... my opinion!
Old 07-27-2016, 11:34 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Our home is in the Bywater (historic neighborhood below the Quarter). When we are getting ready to head for a road trip, we put our motorhome at Ponchartrain Landing. It is dirt, so when it rains, it can be a bit muddy, but otherwise, good hookups, nice people and quiet. Pretty close to the French Quarter and I know they do have a shuttle to take you there. Decent restaurant on the property. They do have a new section that is gravel, so that one might not get as muddy.

Mardi Gras is really for young people who want to get drunk, act out and make fools of themselves. If I were you, come for either French Quarter Fest or Jazz Fest instead of Mardi Gras. You will get a much better opinion of New Orleans at those times. Wonderful history, food and people (if you come at the right time!)

And if you do come for Mardi Gras ... do realize all those stupid people being nasty are tourists ..... not locals! Locals leave for Mardi Gras. Anyway ... my opinion!
+1 for JazzFest! Amazing! One of the best vacations I've ever had!