Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New Orleans CG and local food suggestions?

Any recommendations for local places good to eat and not too expensive.
Any good campgrounds?

ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Cafe Du Monde - right on Jackson Square

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
paz

Bayou Segnette is a nice state park in Westwego. Park at Algiers Point and take the free ferry over to the French Quarter.

Central Market on Decatur St. a few blocks from Cafe Du Mond has great muffuletta sandwiches.

Dimartinos on 90B about 3 miles east of Bayou Segnette also has great muffulettas. We stopped and picked some up several times on our way back to the RV from sightseeing.

There is also an open-air fish market where you can buy fresh shrimp about a block or 2 east of the entrance to Bayou Segnette. Shrimping season should extend until sometime in December.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #4

The French Quarter RV resort is in the heart of downtown. We stayed there on the way to Orlando several years ago. It is very convenient to all the restaurants, bars and nightlife.

The park has very nice level pads, pool and facilities. However, the concertina wire they have placed on the top of the walls is a bit disconcerting and the spots in the back put you right by the freeway (very noisy at night). My wife made us move our coach to a different spot - she was worried that an eighteen wheeler was going to fall off the raised freeway and crush us! LOL

As for food, I can't remember where we ate.
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #5

We stayed at Ponchartrain Landing, they have a shuttle to the FQ, it's not cheap though, the state park may be a better option. We ate at Oceana on Truesdale St, yum!
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
We stayed at Ponchartrain Landing, they have a shuttle to the FQ, it's not cheap though,
Just got back from there and $33 a night isn't bad. It's a nice park and the quarter is just 10 minutes away....
Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I agree with post#4, French Quarter RV resort is perfect, if you are going
there to see this beautiful city. This is not camping, you are right off I-10,
noisy traffic, big billboard right overhead...but you can walk to the French
Quarter in the daytime, and take a $ 6.00 cab back at night. Run your AC
to drown out the noise. Many good
restaurants, Arnauds is among the best, as are all the Brennan family properties.
Be sure to tour the Garden District and ride out on St. James Street street car.
Cafe du Monde is fabulous for the bignets. Cheap restaurant would be Oceana on
Conti Street, 1/2 block off Bourbon. Bourbon St is great fun on Friday or Saturday nights. Have some 3 for 1 drinks and party on !
Old 10-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone. Unfortunatly I have to delay the New Orleans trip till next year :( I have my sister with me and she couldn't get the extra time off which would leave me with a 1700 mile drive to new orleans and back home with 8 days to do it. So I am thinking of going to smoky mountains and back home this time, as it's on the way going home, and doing NOLA next year.

I will write the suggestions down so I can plan for NOLA. Keep them coming
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #9

I'll second the Central Grocery for a muffalleta - they are the people who invented it.
For a quick meal right on Bourbon Street without paying very much, try the Cafe Beignet. They aren't fancy, mainly open air and use a pick-up window, but they have live music, decent food, and are in the middle of the action.
For a somewhat nicer meal, but not extravagantly so, we love the Court of Two Sisters. You can enter from either Bourbon or Royal St. An old stand-by with us is the Gumbo House. It's reasonably priced, indoors, and good food - we've eaten there many times.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 AM   #10

"Bayou Segnette is a nice state park in Westwego. Park at Algiers Point and take the free ferry over to the French Quarter."

Ditto Bayou Segnette. Nice big paved backin sites, 50 amp and water for about $20. But they do have a reservation fee, even for walk-ups.

RV Park Reviews :: Westwego, Louisiana ( LA ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

Food, you can't go wrong in NO. We usually opt for a late lunch / early dinner to save serious dollars. Great specials at the right time. Can't go wrong at Pat O'Briens or Cresent City Brewhouse. But there are just too many good places so you really can't go wrong.

We happened to be passing through our second time when the MN Vikings came to town for the NFC championship game. A crazy day on Bourbon St. NO is one of the great cities we have been too and should be on everyone's must visit list.

Bob