Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #1

New Orleans in March

I will be driving back to Canada from Florida around the last week of March and thought I might take a detour and spend a couple of days in New Orleans. Any advice I can get on best campgrounds, must see and do etc. would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Absolutely the best thing we did in the area was to take one of the swamp boat tours on the Pearl River out of Slidell. Worth the drive from So Cal! We didn't stay in NOLA. Our son is stationed in Biloxi so we did a few day trips to the area. Biloxi was a lot nicer than I expected. Seeing the carnage still present from Katrina all along that portion of the coast was unnerving. Majestic Oaks RV in Biloxi was the best of the FHU parks in the greater NOLA area.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Do a search on this forum .. there are lots of threads concerning New Orleans. Make reservations now for French Quarter RV Resort - very popular. Well worth the trip .. no place on earth like New Orleans.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #4

For us, a one time visit to New Orleans was enough. Personally, I am not sure what the attraction is. It is a filthy, smelly place. I suppose it is a place that you either love or hate.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
That is true. You either see the history, the beauty of times gone by, the wonderful food, culture and ambiance or you see the dirt and sleaze. I happen to love it.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
For us, a one time visit to New Orleans was enough. Personally, I am not sure what the attraction is. It is a filthy, smelly place. I suppose it is a place that you either love or hate.
We kind of felt that way, but that was prior to Katrin flushing the toilet. We stayed at a very nice KOA in Slidel. Don't know if it's still there though. It was very clean and well maintained.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #7

We took our church's childrens choir to New Orleans twice to sing in the Crescent City Childrens Choir Festival. These were pre Katrina. New Orleans is a place not to be missed if you enjoy good food and history.

We are planning to go thru there on our trip to the west coast, hopefully next year.

We stayed in the Marriott Hotel in the historic part of the city. Probably can't park an RV there, however there should be some good CGs in the area.
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #8

We stayed at Bayou Signette State Park and took the Algiers Ferry across to the French Quarter. Water and electric only but really nice. New Orleans was interesting for a one time visit but that did not change the filthy and smelly conditions and this was well after Katrina.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #9

I second Bayou Signette State Park. We have also stayed at Fountanbleau State Park in Mandeville (then drive across Lake Ponchitrain)

We have not been there for about 8 years but things I would highly recommend are: World War II Museum, Live Jazz in the Jazz facility near Café du Monde, riding the street cars, touring the great homes, bread pudding, jumbalaya.

If you can tolerate very few customer comforts DO NOT MISS Preservation Hall for authentic Jazz.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #10

We stayed in Fontainebleau State Park which was a very nice park! Drove across the 25 mile Lake Pontchartrain bridge to the FQ. Parked near Bourbon Street in a parking structure. If I recall, we paid around $7 or $8 for 9 hour parking. The park was a great place to stay out of town with FHU pull-thru sites. Only about a 30-40 minute drive to downtown with the toad.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:12 AM   #11

French Quarter RV is right in the FQ and makes for easy touring of the sights. Highly recommend eating at Louisiana Bistro and getting the "feed me" offering. The chef will ask you your likes and dislike and then surprise you with various interesting courses.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #12

Stayed at Pontchatrain Landing in September '14. Very nice. On site restuarant pretty good for something when you don't wanna cook and clean, which is most of the time. Has shuttle to and from NOLA. Very accommodating. If you want to stay later, can always call a taxi. Rates reasonable-$20 bucks or so.
Can't wait to go back. My suggestion is if you don't like the way something looks, don't look at it.
History, bars, food and restaurants, and entertainment is one of a kind in a one of a kind place.
goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed in Jude Travel RV Park 4-5 miles form down town NO. Easy access from park. They charge $30/day. Tight quarters, very friendly and informative owners. We have reservations for April. See web site below.

JUDE TRAVEL PARK OF NEW ORLEANS
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spent all last week at the French Qtr RV resort, made Rev's for Aprils Jazz Fest, great place to stay, right off I10, easy off, easy on! Well kepted, secure, well run, walking dist to FQ which is right accross the street.