Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

New to tucson

Hi fellow travellers. We are currently in Mesa but will be leaving shortly to see the sights Tucson way. Never been there before and as such don't have any idea where we want to stay in our Motorhome. Probably like to be based somewhere in south Tucson area and take car day trips . Any advice on where to try or where not to stay. Any help leads would be great. Thanks and take care everyone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

We are at the Voyager in South Tucson, it's great but can be pricey for a short stay. The Pima County Fairgrounds is off Houghton road and is $18, I believe. They have bathrooms & showers with elect & water hookups. They have a new row of hookups, maybe they also have sewer. There's so much to see and do here, Mt Lemon, Pima Air & Space Museum, Titan missile silo, a Spanish mission, Old Tucson, Tombstone, hiking, biking trails. We thought this winter would be cool and rainy due to El Nino but it's been really nice.

missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We stayed at Mission View, nice place.....jets from the airport in the morning will wake you up.

A related recommendation: Folks at the park recommended we get a visitors book with tons of discount coupons for events and attractions in the area. Sold at the downtown visitors center. Went downtown and found the place. Lots and lots of brochures and advice. I ask about the book, like ignored the question....I kept pressing,third time acknowledge that they had it. Forget how much it was,but two events paid for it. Saved a lot of money the month we were there Feb. 2015.

Offered pay for one, second person gets in free. On all the major attractions.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
We are at the Voyager in South Tucson, it's great but can be pricey for a short stay. The Pima County Fairgrounds is off Houghton road and is $18, I believe. They have bathrooms & showers with elect & water hookups. They have a new row of hookups, maybe they also have sewer. There's so much to see and do here, Mt Lemon, Pima Air & Space Museum, Titan missile silo, a Spanish mission, Old Tucson, Tombstone, hiking, biking trails. We thought this winter would be cool and rainy due to El Nino but it's been really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralochy View Post
Hi fellow travellers. We are currently in Mesa but will be leaving shortly to see the sights Tucson way. Never been there before and as such don't have any idea where we want to stay in our Motorhome. Probably like to be based somewhere in south Tucson area and take car day trips . Any advice on where to try or where not to stay. Any help leads would be great. Thanks and take care everyone.

The list provided by Missourijan is very good. I am guessing that the Spanish Mission referred to op is the San Xavier Mission. This is a beautiful example of missions of that era.

http://www.sanxaviermission.org/

I would also add the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (ASDM) to your list of things to see:

http://www.desertmuseum.org/

(If you,go there, be sure to go to Saguaro National Park (a few miles from the ASDM) late in the day and drive the Bajada Loop ... In your toad)

Just north of Tucson, there is Catalina State Park. Very nice! 14 day maximum stay.

https://azstateparks.itinio.com/catalina/

If your travels allow travel to the east of Tucson, you may want to check out Kartchner Caverns

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/KACA/index.html

And one truly unique and amazing place, Chirichaua National Monument

http://www.nps.gov/chir/index.htm

One more thing...if you golf...check out the Mountain Course at the Loews Resort. You will not be sorry that you did.

Enjoy your time in Tucson!
Old 03-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
South of Tucson you can't beat the Pima County Fairgrounds. Also a big airshow in town this weekend!

Enjoy
Old 03-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm staying on some BLM land just off Ajo Highway in the Drexel Heights area west of town. Costs nothing, and has all the amenities that you can expect at that price.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I'm staying on some BLM land just off Ajo Highway in the Drexel Heights area west of town. Costs nothing, and has all the amenities that you can expect at that price.

I was thinking about this place the next time that we roll through Tucson, but read somewhere that there was a lot of broken bottles and "squatters" about. Is this not the case?
Old 03-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are broken bottles and trash. It's close enough to town, and there is no campground host or regular "supervision", so the blame is probably 50% locals, 50% campers.

If by "squatters" you mean people that are staying longer than fourteen days, yes there are folks like that here. But the vast majority of folks here (and I am saying "here" because I am here, at the BLM patch of land, right now) are good folks, in self contained RVs that are in good condition. There are a couple of tent campers that have been here longer than I have, and will probably stay after I'm gone, and a few RVs that fit that description also.

I haven't seen any garbage dumping, glass breaking, wild partying, or huge bonfires in almost ten days of camping here.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #9

Gilbert Ray campground in Tucson Mountain Park is a winner. No reservations; 7-day limit but oh, so nice. Beautiful Sonoran desert with spacious sites and close to everything in Tucson. Because of the day limit folks move in and out daily. Mon-Thurs are the best arrival days and in the morning.

Gilbert Ray Campground - Pima County

Catalina State Park is another nice one on the north side of Tucson. The fairgrounds is very economical. Voyager has any activity you may want and it's pricy. If you want to go about 30 miles south of Tucson, DeAnza RV Resort is in a lovely area of the Santa Rita Mountains.

Enjoy Tucson!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #10

Gilbert Ray is a good choice. The approach, with RV is best from I-19, not Gates Pass
Old 03-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #11

We stay at Sentinel Peak RV Park. Walking distance to downtown or the streetcar.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #12

I love Gilbert Ray or Catalina. You won't go wrong with either. Desert Trails is also a winner if you want more amenities. We used to winter there and it is a great RV park.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Sabino Canyon is a great place also.
Tucson Hotels, Events, Restaurants, Things to Do Planning
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #14

No one has mentioned Lazy Days KOA. South Tucson, decent, and free fruit on citrus trees throughout park.

sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote