Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #1

New York, Finger Lakes Region, Lake Seneca

My wife and I had a lovely trip to the Finger Lakes region of NY last year. We stayed at at B and B mid lake and had an excellent time. Now that we are more familiar with the area we were thinking of bringing the RV next time. I have seen two campgrounds, one being the Watkins Glen town RV park which is basically a trailer park next to the marina... it looks so so but it is filled up most of the summer. The second option is a KOA about 5 miles south of the lake. Has anyone had any experience boondocking around the lake? I have heard that some Vineyards allow overnight parking but I am not aware if we could drop in the morning and then come back after we have shopped the local vineyards. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would also be interested in the other lakes in the region as well.

Thanks!
Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #2

I can't say I have boondocking experience near Watkins Glen other than WGI. I have though stayed in the area before and after the races. The KOA you speak of is OK, but it is pricey in my opinion. I would recommend spots near the back of the place. Stayed once at Clute park and it is basically just a place to park and stay. No real amenities.
I am staying at the State park this year after the race and grabbed the last spot before the July 4th holiday. You can check there for any cancellations and possibly get in.
There is a Walmart downtown that "may" be an option.
As for winery parking. I heard of a site called Harvest Hosts, https://harvesthosts.com/
That for a $40 fee you can join and gives you access to some wineries and farms that can take you in for overnights. I have NO experience with it, but my fiancee has advised me we are going to look into it....
Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #3

Pleasant Valley Wine Company, just south of Hammondsport, is a Harvest Host member. We stayed there one night at no cost (but made up for it with wine purchases). They let us leave out race car trailer there all day while we toured in the motorhome.

https://harvesthosts.com/

The Watkins Glen RV park is nothing fancy but it's a nice walk into town.

We use KOA when traveling, and stayed at the nice one in Watkins Glen for two nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxg286 View Post
My wife and I had a lovely trip to the Finger Lakes region of NY last year. We stayed at at B and B mid lake and had an excellent time. Now that we are more familiar with the area we were thinking of bringing the RV next time. I have seen two campgrounds, one being the Watkins Glen town RV park which is basically a trailer park next to the marina... it looks so so but it is filled up most of the summer. The second option is a KOA about 5 miles south of the lake. Has anyone had any experience boondocking around the lake? I have heard that some Vineyards allow overnight parking but I am not aware if we could drop in the morning and then come back after we have shopped the local vineyards. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would also be interested in the other lakes in the region as well.

Thanks!
Mike
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrons31 View Post
I have NO experience with it, but my fiancee has advised me we are going to look into it....
Best line I am seen all day!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've stayed at the Watkins Glen KOA and I would give it a thumbs up. It is a bit pricey what what CGs are not these days. Our site was in the sunset acres and it even had a gazebo. The concrete pad was a plus.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #6

Watkins Glen has a state park for camping, as well as Clute and the KOA. Also, just a couple miles south on14 , in Montour Falls is the Montour Falls campground and Marina.
I have a seasonal there. Its nothing special, just a "picnic table" campground on the canal that leads to lake. but its affordable and clean.
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I stayed a little farther north on the lake at Sampson State Park. Electric and Water at the sites.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #8

Grand Design Owners Club
I stayed at letchworth state pk. Because there was a race that same weekend. Was very pleased, they are upgrading bathrooms. Lots of hiking. Been back there a 2x time. Note its about 50mi away from W. G. But less crowded.
MBohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:07 AM   #9

For other interesting things to do in the general area, we stopped at the Glenn Curtiss Museum and Corning Glass Works.
We've stayed at Clute because of it's location
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I stayed a little farther north on the lake at Sampson State Park. Electric and Water at the sites.
How was that? We booked a site at Sampson State Park for later this summer. There were no openings available on the weekends, but plenty for during the week. The price is about half of Watkins Glenn KOA for a water/electric site and about 1/3 of their highest rate.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
How was that? We booked a site at Sampson State Park for later this summer. There were no openings available on the weekends, but plenty for during the week. The price is about half of Watkins Glenn KOA for a water/electric site and about 1/3 of their highest rate.

I thought it great but couple things to be prepared for: elec and water connections between two sites so I needed an extension for my power cord and water hose. Also, my site was not very level and needed to put boards under the jacks and front wheels. The location was great and the sunsets over the lake were beautiful. Several wineries close by and the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge was fantastic. If coming from the north you go under a low clearance overpass just before the park that was scary. It was 12’11” and my height is 12’7”. Went very slow. Was scary.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:58 AM   #12

[QUOTE=mricet1005;4240333]I thought it great but couple things to be prepared for: elec and water connections between two sites so I needed an extension for my power cord and water hose. Also, my site was not very level and needed to put boards under the jacks and front wheels. The location was great and the sunsets over the lake were beautiful. Several wineries close by and the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge was fantastic. If coming from the north you go under a low clearance overpass just before the park that was scary. It was 12’11” and my height is 12’7”. Went very slow. Was scary.[/QUOTE

Thanks very much for the information. We will be coming from the North but top out at 11'6, so the overpass will not be an issue. But we have gone through scary situations before so I know the feeling. We run the power cord under the MH at home, so I think we are OK on that and we always run off tanks, not city water.

We will try the wineries and the MWF as that is our kind of site seeing!

Ever been to Meacham Lake CG? We are headed there after Sampson.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote