Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
New York, New York

Wow - that was easy! So easy I can't wait to go back! I was so intimidated by even the IDEA of taking a rig to New York, but it was the best choice - better by far than spending all that money on a hotel. We stayed at Liberty Harbor RV Park in Jersey City. There was a ferry that took us right across to Manhattan in the financial district - Pier 11. On weekends when the ferry wasn't running, we walked a short 5 blocks to the Path and took it in either to the World Trade Center stop where you could tour Battery Park, the financial district, take the Staten Island Ferry, etc., or take the Path to 33rd street where you are only a few blocks away from Times Square. I bought tour bus passes to hop on and off, but now that I know better, I'd just ride the regular busses. If you're not into museums and crowds, taking the Staten Island Ferry for a close-up look at the Statue of Liberty is free and a lot less hassle.

The RV park charged us $60 a night for water and electric. If you stayed a week, the 7th night is free. I would not go back on a weekend though. There's a huge bar next to the harbor and it's extremely loud and crowded on Friday and Saturday nights. Besides, during the week, you don't have the huge crowds in Times Square . . . it's mostly folks going to work. On the weekends, it was insanely crowded.

We went to Top Of The Rock to view New York from the skyline instead of the Empire State Building. It was less crowded and had a better view.

The funny thing is, everything is so much bigger on TV. Rockefeller Center looks huge on TV, but in real life, it's not big at all. Neither is the street where the Today show gang comes out to greet the fans.

It was a great trip and I can't wait to go back!

GraciesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Glad you had a great time here. Staying at Liberty is very convenient. If you want more of a wooded camping stay at the Newburgh KOA and then take train down to NY. A little more planning but no bar noise.
Lenny and Chrissy

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote