Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
A good alternative to paying the High tolls is if your home state has an E-Z Pass system get one! I have because I travel the NYS Thruway all the time with the MH and the E-Z Pass cuts my toll by about 3/4. One states pass sytem is useable in all states with a pass system for toll roads.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
Two years ago on our cross country trip, We drove I-84 from near Austerlitz, NY down to near Florida, NY. It cost us $19.50 toll for our RV and toad. I don't remember exactly what the milage was for that leg. As a side note, this spring we drove our RV and toad across the Golden Gate Bridge and it cost us $28. We got that bill in the mail, (no toll takers anymore).

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Oops that was I-87 not 84. Have to blame that one on DW, she wrote it down wrong in the diary.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #17

New York Roads and Fees

East west or vice versa in NY State try the Southern Tier Expressway from Erie PA to Binghamton NY then
"Interstate" 88 which runs up to Albany
NO TOLLS no underpasses or steep inclines

No comment on NYS politics
milestogoB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just drove west through NY on rt 84 and I swear that there are parts of the road missing. We have another weekend booked up here but I told my wife to cancel. The lady at the desk said a lot of people have canceled because of the condition of the highway
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Southern Tier Expressway..

Routes I-86 & I-88... each way $0

NY. T-Pike $70 each way

Truck and RV trailer ( 4 axles)

Include the return trip and that is $140 round trip. If the NY. Pike was the only freeway to VT. we would no longer vacation there.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #20

NYS roads are horrible.Rt 88 is not going to give you a cloud like ride either but at least it is free if you don't need fuel.

The idiots in Albany have an employment plan. They have the 2nd highest road tax in the country and use that money to apply 3" of salt for every 1/4" of snow. That totally destroys all the roads and bridges every year creating construction jobs. It also completely rots out your vehicles which creates automotive jobs and promotes car sales. As an added bonus the salt companies sell more and the road crews get lots of overtime.

Since they drove all manufacturing out of the state they needed a jobs plan.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
We head west again tomorrow morning and just going to bite the bullet, pay our NY Thruway road toll contribution for the politicians to spend it on whatever and hope for good asphalt in Ohio and Indiana. We'll just take out time and not bother burning more fuel trying to find smoother roads to make our exit.

We did enjoy our stay along Lake Ontario and our last stop at Hamlin Beach SP was really very nice, wonderful campground. Great fireworks display put on by the park right on the lake for the 5th. If you are in the Rochester lakefront area don't miss the Char-Pit for a great old fashion breakfast... eggs, with italian bread toast and fantastic homemade hot sauce.

So, besides the bumps on the Thruway we have to say that we had a wonderful time in the region.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I did survive the NY Freeway, freeway is an oxymoron, anyway been in northern Maine and PEI and now in Nova Scotia. I just have one suggestion, do not go to Ingonish on 19, take the other route through Cheticamp. I am not certain but I do not think a paper map would have help, D Lindy just kidding but no tolls. This road should be outlawed, way to narrow, to steep and way to rough, I came back down the other route which was great, almost smooth but mostly no shoulders, just a 6" drop. We stayed at Broad campground, nice but dusty, low voltage, and trees need trimming, had to move to get a site with less trees. This place is beautiful and the locals who filled the place up was the best. We drove across the top and stayed at Cheticamp, if you do not have much time start at Cheticamp, we stayed at Broad because it was on the ocean or thought it was, had to walk about 1/2 mile but that walk was also worth it. Cheticamp is by far the best of both campgrounds, both are good but the drive up is so bad to Broad all you think about is driving home or buying a house and just live there. Neither camp has 50 AMP, and the 30 amp at Broad was usually at 115v. The staff is really great at both camps.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is the northeast. The major cross state highways like 87, 90, 86, and 84 get beat up all year long from never ending trucks, busses, campers, and cars... You bet we put lots of salt on the highways... So we can keep them open when we get snow storms... Unlike some you southern boys that get an inch of snow and then freak out, we are used to snow feet at a time and say "is that all you got?!?" At then end of winter we have thousands of miles of pot holes, heaves, stress cracking... It takes the highway Depts almost all summer to fix. There is a major cost to that. If you don't like NY, well... Let's just say less traffic on the roads wouldn't bother me...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #24

And that money wasting politicians in Albany thank you for seeing it their way. They are creating a new tax just for you.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #25

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405509745.189487.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	68042
😘
milestogoB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #26

They got me on I 90 last year heading to Ohio for well over $100. never again!!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Before you go... here is a calculator so you can see excactly what your costs will be exit to exit for your vehicle on the NYS Thruway. $100 sounds like a small exaggeration for a tag pulling a car... One hint (as mentioned above) is get an ezpass and make sure the toad doesn't have one in it as you go through the toll booth. Did that one trip. Talk about expensive!!! Sure learned my lesson the hard way! Also, do some paper map routing as mentioned above.

Toll and Distance Calculator - New York State Thruway

BTW... Pennsylvania is always an alternative... if you don't mind the all of the hills.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #28

Nope it is not, from one end to the other it was over that $100 last Aug. I was shocked!!!