Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

New York State Parks

I could not find much information on their website. Do you know anything about non resident camping in NY State Parks. I guess each park is different in what they offer. I am wanting to find out what kind of hookups they have and what size trailers they take. Please share your experiences if you have camped there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Most NYS Parks have no hook-ups. They usually have a dump station. There are a few exceptions such as Wildwood SP on Long Island. I camp at Hither Hills SP on the Eastern end of LI in Montauk, NY. There are no hook-ups, but the bathrooms are super clean and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach just beyond the dunes is worth foregoing hook-ups. In the summer, Hither Hills is the most booked SP in NY. If the setting is what you want, then you sacrifice hook-ups. NYS Parks use Reserve America to book campsites. Good Luck

Old 05-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Over the last 10 years we have camped at 3 different NY. State Parks. One at the base of Whiteface ski area (Wilmington Notch SP.) Basic park, level sites, showerhouse, non-electric.

#2 Redhouse SP in western NY. hilly sites, most somewhat level, showerhouses, about 50% electric sites, beautiful area especially in the fall.

#3 Watkins Glen...4 or 5 loops...only one loop has electric but most of those sites are somewhat tight.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We spent last summer from May through September at Wellseley Island State Park with full hook up in exchange for maintaining one bath house. It is located in the 1000 Islands with lots of activities.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

go to reserveamerica.com, that is where you wil find all of the information on NYS parks. you can view each park for amenities and location. many NYS parks have some electric sites, I don't know of any that have full hookups. some of the parks on lake ontario are beautiful. I believe you can stop into any park for the day and pay the $8 day rate (this also allows you to use the dump station).

probably also a campground guide on new york state tourism website. I know theres a nice rest area on rte 81 that is a welcome center, usually they are stocked with tourism/camping info.
kennyb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
4 Mile Creek SP near Niagara and Ft. Niagara (which we enjoyed more than the Falls). Huge park ON Lk. Ontario - some areas with sewer and the price was right!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
4 Mile Creek SP near Niagara and Ft. Niagara (which we enjoyed more than the Falls). Huge park ON Lk. Ontario - some areas with sewer and the price was right!
X2. Nice park and convenient to the falls.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
I'll 3rd 4 Mile Creek...forgot that one on my earlier list of visited parks in NY. Real large grassy sites. 90% are very level....Only about 15 minutes from the Niagara Falls area.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #9

camping in NY state parks

Type in WWW.Reserve America.com to make a reservation for NYS parks/camping. The website includes maps and tells how long the site is and if it has electric. Sites are cheaper if you just show up but you aren't guaranted to get one. Cheaper rates Monday to Thursday. Water is available to fill up before you get to your site. Rest rooms have showers. We use flip flops. Dumpsite is available. Not all sites have electric. I've camped at Allegany state park and four mile creek state park. We also camped at Green Lakes state park. Many state parks to choose from.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
where in NY? Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse... Adirondacks Southern tier?
In between Rochester and Buffalo is Darian Center there are some there. Lake PLacid has 3 parks...There are a number of KOA campgrounds. Junius ponds (off Rt 90) has 160 sites 20/50 amp service and wifi... that is in the Finger Lake area..
Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
I downloaded a App for my iPad.. it is called "RV PARKING" and its a life saver...