Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #15

Thank you. If it wasn't for all this advice i could have wasted much time and money.
WHAT ABOUT SACRAMENTO? THERE IS A PARK 4 MILES FROM THE WHOLEFOODS. HIGH SECURITY. CHEAP. I HAVE READ A LOT OF NEGATIVITY ABOUT SACRAMENTO THOUGH

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #16

As fulltimers for 16+ years we move around constantly because no place is perfect...if that's what you're looking for....
There will be heat, cold, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, cost of living, etc. You'll have to decide what you can really accept. If Phoenix is your choice then look into mobile home parks instead of RV parks. You'll find more choices for permancy, price and accepting under 55 age. Even though they're called mobile home parks they usually have "transient" spaces for those with RVs. Tucson, AZ might also be a choice for you and there's a Whole Foods there. Good luck!
P.S. We are spending the summer in your fine state of Washington on the Olympic Peninsula. It's been the best place in the country for temperatures in the summer - 70's! ...but we're outta here for the winter!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal123 View Post
Thank you. If it wasn't for all this advice i could have wasted much time and money.
WHAT ABOUT SACRAMENTO? THERE IS A PARK 4 MILES FROM THE WHOLEFOODS. HIGH SECURITY. CHEAP. I HAVE READ A LOT OF NEGATIVITY ABOUT SACRAMENTO THOUGH
I lived about 7 miles NE of Sac for 25 years and sold in 2009 to go full time. It has a very nice climate... except it does get hot in the summer but nothing like Phoenix. The winters can be cool and wet but, unless there's a Whole Foods in Maui, there's going to have to be some compromise.

I would imagine much of the negative talk about Sacramento stems from the fact that it's full of California politicians. And remember that California is in some dire straits financially right now and taxes are high and going higher.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #18

Sac is nice, and LOTS to do, especially if you are the outdoorsy-type.
It gets hot in the summer ( not as hot as Phoenix ) and rains a lot in the winter ( not like the NW )

Another thought is Santa Clarita/Valencia in Southern California. there is a Whole Foods and this place

Home

I know folks who lived there for years at a time in a 5th wheel.

....does your job allow you to switch locations between locations? Like a working snowbird?
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #19

No I can't jump around from store to store. Once you transfer you have to stay for at least 6 months. And its rather stressful. We get a lot of people from Texas.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #20

Hi there! We are from Sac I lived there for 25 years before going full time, my daughters still live there. Sacramento is a great place to live, everything is nearby. Mountains and the ocean are only 2 hours away. It is a great city lots of young people and things to do. It does get hot in the summer but it cools off at night and it doesn't stay hot- hot, over 100 for more than a week or so before dropping back down.
If you found an RV park near whole foods I say go for it. If you let me know the address of the park I can tell you what kind of area it is, but IMO if it is near whole foods it should be ok. Have fun you have a whole life ahead of you so don't waste it in Phoenix. BTW we moved to WA, well our home base is there and we love it.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #21

1301 East El Camino Avenue Sacramento, CA 95815

this is the address. i did put it in spotcrime.com and i see that there is quite a bit of crime!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #22

Hi, yea that is a nasty area. Lots of run down apartment complexes, drugs and guns. I go to Sac once every year or so and RV parks are hard to come by. You may need to look on the out skirts of sac. You may want to consider a mobile home park, they some times have RV spaces for rent long term. Remember this , el camino East or West, bad, Auburn blvd, between watt ave and Marconi, bad. If you come up with others let me know, if I'm not sure, my daughter can go by and check it out. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #23

715 Glide Avenue
West Sacramento, CA 95691
Here is a park, still there is some crime.

What about Davis? That's supposedly a safe area
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal123 View Post

What about Davis? That's supposedly a safe area
Davis is a college town with, I'm sure, considerably less crime than Sac.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #25

There is a whole foods in Roseville ca and there are some wonderful parks in that area and up the road in Loomis Rocklin and Auburn Ca. All of these suburbs are about 10 miles northwest of downtown Sac. I live in Foresthill a beautiful little area and work in Roseville about a 30 mile drive one way but worth it
Old 08-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #26

I would not go to the store on west el camino that is a very bad area I have lived in the Sac area since 90
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #27

Wow, Roseville, Rocklin, area looks very nice. Lots of businesses to keep up my hobbies of dance and theater. Looks great

Sierra Lakes Mobile Home Community

this mobile home park looks really nice

Thank you so much for that suggestion
Old 08-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #28

Just to let everyone know, I believe I already mentioned this, but my home of choice is San Diego or thereabouts, I have not visited yet though. And I've put this option out of my mind, because it seems too unrealistic on my income. but everyone is welcome to give suggestions. Maybe I've missed something in my hours of research.

Tags