Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Newbies first year

We spent all last year getting our RV ready. It was in the shop more than it was out.. Now that we are ready and rearing to go the one thing I forgot to do was research how all the reservations work (a very stupid thing to leave out) I had no idea that the CA state RV parks book 6 mo in advance. According to one lady at Reserve America I need to be online Febuary 1st for August.. That's fine but what to do in the months before is a dilemma?
I would so appreciate any suggestions on where else to look. Some places on the Internet look pretty nasty with the same reviews.. We live in S. California. We have weekends and maybe a day or two before or after. It doesn't matter if it's near the ocean really.
I thank you all so very much.

Sueca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sueca,
There are many choices in southern California. For a weekend adventure and an out of the way place, consider Amboy Crater, the town of Amboy (there is a diner there) and Joshua Tree NP. The RV park to stay at is 29 Palms at 29 Palms Resort.

If you are not familiar with Amboy Crater, it is an extinct volcanic cinder crater. One can walk the mile or so from the parking area up and into the crater. Wear good/tough hiking shoes. While the hike is flat, the cinders will eat up a pair of sneakers. After seeing the crater, consider having lunch in the town of Amboy. Basically it is a retro 60's diner with a gas station. The next day tour Joshua Tree NP. Again, wear good hiking shoes.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Grab an app called RV Parky.
RVParkReviews.com is you best friend.
Join Passport America
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 35' - White Tiger
Cape Cod
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
Freightliner Owners Club
I would use www.rvparkreviews.com as it is a site with reviews prepared by actual campers. Great source.
Allegro Red 34QFA 2014
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
We retired out of Temecula. Spontaneity with state and federal parks, especially on weekends, pretty well stopped being feasible about a quarter of a century ago. Private parks with hook-ups are what you want to look for. Start with the Good Sam website (probably goodsamclub.com). Won't take you long to figure out how to put in the area you are interested in, set the distance parameters, & id parks. Then use rvparkreviews.com to check user ratings. rvparky, I believe, is another that lots of people use. You still will want to reserve ahead of time, but private park availability is much, much more likely.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Usually if I'm camping in a area, I'll do some driving to other state parks in the area for future visits. I'll mark the campsites I like, this way I know my RV unit will fit. I'll also use Flickr, YouTube, Google pictures to check out places I have never visited.

For this next summer I got two travel spots from people right here on IRV2. (Jamaica SP. VT. & worlds End SP. PA.) Booked 38 days of camping in the last week.

As far as state parks: They all have a set time on how far you can book ahead. (6, 8,9 or 12 months) If it is a popular park, you better reserve far ahead. Then there are others, where there is no need to even reserve.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
We are weekend warriors here in Wisconsin and use the same reserveamerica.com system.. because we are still working and weather can be unpredictable here, making reservations 11 months in advance is nearly impossible for us..

We find it VERY difficult with our schedules to plan 11 months in advance for our quick weekend outings... but, if I know of a specific weekend, I just keep going out to the site on a daily basis (pretty much every hour here at work) and see if there are cancellations.. if you're OK with making, somewhat, last minute plans, you usually won't have any issues getting in...

We are pretty exclusive to State Parks too !!
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:49 PM   #8
Thanks so much

Just wanted to thank everyone for your help. It is very much appreciated
Sueca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:19 AM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We haven't bought our coach yet, but I expect we'll run into the same problem when we do. We can't start booking now because we don't have a hard purchase date set. By the time we do buy, all the "best" reservations will already be booked - at least for the foreseeable future.

Luckily, we live in Las Vegas and basically have the entire southwest to play in. We plan on boondocking a lot for our first year until we can start planning reserved trips further in advance. (Besides, we'll need that much time just to master the rig!) If it was up to me we'd be boondocking 90% of the time forever, but the wife has other plans

Congratulations on getting out there and doing it. It'll all work out.

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302
pulling a 2013 Ford Edge Limited

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie, newbies