Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #1

Newburg/New York City North KOA

Does anyone recommend the New York City Tour from here? Is the campground good?
vmgrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We stay there going to & from Maine each year. Campground is heavily wooded & the roads are narrow & our 45' has a tough time fitting in to the spaces. It is a definite unhook in the parking lot in front of the office!

Not much in the way of food nearby. Approx 20 minutes from the interstate on narrow roads. DO NOT use GPS, follow the directions on the KOA website.

As we just stay overnight we don't use any of the amenities so can't say how they are.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the tour is well worth the time and price. Been there done that.
I was stationed in NYC while in the service. NOOOO desire to drive there now.
The KOA is a KOA. Nothing special.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I stayed there in July. Please read my CG review at Plattekill - iRV2.com Campground Reviews

There are two reviews from me. The bottom line is that I will not stay there again.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The last time we stayed there was in 09. The campground is always crowded and we had to stay in the overflow area. It is very expensive, like all KOA. We took the bus tour to nyc and enjoyed it. The only bad thing is when the bus stops for a few minutes at a stop, by law they must cut off the engine and in summer it gets hot. You just have to get off the bus and go in where it is cool.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I don't know anything about the KOA in North NY but a couple of years ago we stayed at Liberty Harbor RV Park just across the river in New Jersey from Manhattan. The campground is not particularly nice but adequate - as I remember it does not have much in the way of amenities - no swim pool, rentals, etc. It is located at a marina and you can take the ferry to NYC. The first day we took a light rail train about a block from the RV park to NYC. Along the way we had to change from the train to the subway system. We liked the ferry better - got on at the marina and then boarded the tour bus where we got off the ferry. We had 3 or 4 day bus passes for the red tour buses in NYC so passed the same places several times. It worked out pretty good for us and it is in our plans to do it in May or June this coming year. The add for this RV park says you can see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from the RV park. You can but what they don't mention is you are looking at the back side of the Statue. There were fireworks one night over the Statue or Ellis Island - I don't remember if that was a special event or regular Friday or Saturday night event.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I stayed there in July. Please read my CG review at Plattekill - iRV2.com Campground Reviews

There are two reviews from me. The bottom line is that I will not stay there again.
We stayed there in May this year and while it was very pricey, my wife loved the CG. One drawback, if you are allergic to poisen ivy, beware. In the wooded spots poisen ivy is EVERYWHERE -- as if they were trying to grow it. When walking the dogs, we staye on the paved interior roads. But other than price and poisen ivy, it was a nice place. Not a lot of options in the Hudson Valley. We'd probably stay there again if we were in that area again.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #8

if you go there take a ride over to "ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS" its a short ride they will give you directions at the campgroud. You can se many of the motorcycles built on the TV show.
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote