Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #1

newby needs guidance

Hi there all! I have not yet purchased an RV, but am looking at a Thor Ace 30.2 class A. I have 5 children from ages 12-6 and my wife and dog who will be traveling.

Since I am new to this, I am trying to see if you guys can provide input as to the best campgrounds to visit in our travels. We live in South Florida. For now, I am wondering if we should be concentrating in State Parks, National Parks, KOA, or private campgrounds.

I have recently started looking and am seeing some $60+ per night spots and for some reason I was thinking campground fees would be less than that.

Also, I have seen some places charging a per person fee beyond the first 3 or 4 people.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. If these questions have been answered previously, please point me in the right direction.

Thank you all for your help!
seussg111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Try one of the RV Park apps like Good Sam or AllStays.

The apps let you sort by area, see what amenities are offered, price, etc..

There is also an app called Dog Parks, list places you can take your dog along the way to walk him and let him take care of business.

Google free RV parking, you might be surprised.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hi & welcome to iRV2.

If you can give us some more information about what you're looking for, it'd help our members provide ideas for you.

What are your & your family's interests?
Are you looking for campgrounds that will entertain you (i.e. KOA's that have kids activities & pools) or are you looking for campgrounds in areas with things to do?
How far are you willing to travel?
How long do you think you're wanting to stay in one place?
Will you be taking your dog w/you when exploring the area?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Hi Lori thank you for the response.

We would like to do a lot of major sight seeing, most touristy type areas at first I would suppose. We would like to do the entire country over time, but for now I would stick to east coast.

We would like to do a 3 week trip next summer and the kids have already started asking about Washington DC, Virginia, NYC and Niagara Falls....that may work out to be 4 weeks LOL.

My wife would like to take dog where we go, but understand that may not be possible on all trips. While we will be doing a lot of sight seeing off site, I am also interested in best family friendly camo grounds for kids to run around and be kids....organized activities for kids would be a plus but not always a necessity.

I hope that is enough info to start with...I am realy trying to educate myself as much as possible before making the jump.

Thank you for much for the warm welcome!!

Troy
Old 06-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #5

RV parks, especially KOAs, tend to be more expensive that public parks (state, national, national forests, Corp of Engineers, county and city).

For budgeting on a long trip you might consider mixing it up a bit. If a park doesn't have planned kids' activities then they'll have to create their own. It could be a learning experience for them.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out Passport America. Very populate way to save money on campground charges.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
RV parks, especially KOAs, tend to be more expensive that public parks (state, national, national forests, Corp of Engineers, county and city).

For budgeting on a long trip you might consider mixing it up a bit. If a park doesn't have planned kids' activities then they'll have to create their own. It could be a learning experience for them.
Agreed. State parks typically have less in organized kid activities, but more in sight seeing, hiking, biking, etc. State, National and other "public" parks are cheaper and typically cost $30 per night or less. We always travel with our pets - as long as you know they may have to stay in the camper while you explore (ie. Go to the falls or a historic monument/building) and you have a way to keep them safe while you are out (a/c, kennel crate, etc.). Mixing it up is a good option as you will lower your average cost over the entire trip - some may be $25 per night and others $60 to $100 dollars per night in peak seasons. The private, more expensive parks often offer more resort type things such as pool and/or water parks, but you can often find just as much to do in a state, county, or national park. Check out campgroundreviews.com for genuine reviews by RV'ers. You can read pros/cons for most campgrounds as well as search specific areas or places to camp along your route. It's a fabulous resource. RV'ing becomes a lifestyle for most of us and you can spend more or less based on your likes/dislikes and budget. The more research you do in trip planning the better. Once you figure out a destination, you can post on here and folks will share the tips and places to not miss while you are there. Welcome and safe travels!
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #8

rv park review is a great site also google rv parks near???? and you will find several usually. planning your trips is a lot of the fun of owning a rv.
everyone has different likes and dislikes just pick an area and google,trip advisor ect for your families interest.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Always bring the kids bikes, keeps them busy exploring the campgrounds for hours. When our kids were younger we tried to stay in state and national parks for the first 1/2 or 3/4 or the trips, then finish up in nice RV parks that had game rooms, nice bathrooms, pools etc... Gave them something to look forward to and my saved us lots of money

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison
It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi seussg111,
For private CGs look for those that advertise "family". A good example is in Myrtle Beach, SC. There are many family CGs. Family CGs have things to do for the family with kids. In Sevierville, TN there is River Bend Resort. There are many onsite activities for the entire familly. These are just two examples.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

While this doesn't answer your question I happen to have an ACE brochure because I am looking at them also. The 30.2 only has 6 seat belt positions. Not sure if that matters to you but thought I would give you a heads up in case it did.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #12

Thank you all for the good responses....I am taking notes. Please keep the advice coming.

As far as the last poster who mentioned seatbelt positions, 6 should be ok because we have 5 kids.....and my wife and I will likely be in the front most times. If one of us goes in the back still enough for everyone.

Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #13

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. 6 positions is 6 total, including the front. There are two on the forward facing seat of the dinette, 2 on the sofa and two for the front seats. The dinette may have a sign on the two rear facing seats saying they aren't meant for occupation while moving.

On our current RV one of the seats has this sign because the furnace is under the bench seat and therefore no seat belt. I don't know what the set up is on the ACE. But it is something you should look into for almost any RV your looking at. Some don't have any seat belts at all beyond the front 2 but those are much smaller RVs. I know the sofas are never approved for child seats (don't know if any of your kids are still in them) because of the side sitting position.

Previously there was another large family like yours looking at RVing and the seat belt issue was a concern. I believe they ended up getting a towable so the entire family could ride in a vehicle with seat belts on.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:19 AM   #14

newby needs guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussg111 View Post
Hi Lori thank you for the response.

We would like to do a lot of major sight seeing, most touristy type areas at first I would suppose. We would like to do the entire country over time, but for now I would stick to east coast.

We would like to do a 3 week trip next summer and the kids have already started asking about Washington DC, Virginia, NYC and Niagara Falls....that may work out to be 4 weeks LOL.

My wife would like to take dog where we go, but understand that may not be possible on all trips. While we will be doing a lot of sight seeing off site, I am also interested in best family friendly camo grounds for kids to run around and be kids....organized activities for kids would be a plus but not always a necessity.

I hope that is enough info to start with...I am realy trying to educate myself as much as possible before making the jump.

Thank you for much for the warm welcome!!

Troy

About an hour east of Niagara Falls is Darien Lake theme park. They have an on-site RV campground. My daughters (9 and 12) had a wonderful time there, and we would not hesitate to return. The campground is not very shady, but the entertainment value for the kids is fantastic. We made a day-trip to Niagara Falls from there.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B