RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
The ferry from St. Barbe to Blanc Sablon will leave you stranded in Quebec/Labrador. The Trans Labrador Highway probably isn't passable for anything but a 4x4 in places. Based on watching and waiting for the NL government to finish paving and fixing it. I've considered trying it but the trip advisor reports and newspaper articles have convinced me to wait.
No idea about dispersed camping. I would guess yes but maybe some NL natives can clarify.

There are some rougher sections of the Trans Labrador Highway but having driven that across Labrador in a passenger I can tell you that it is possible. It's just what you're comfortable with.

There is a ferry that departs once a week from Blanc Sablon that could connect you with the rest of the North American road network:

Ship's schedules and fares | Relais Nordik

The problem is that you're looking at a pretty far north latitude as you get into October when larger storms can occur in the North Atlantic so you want to keep that in mind. You can certainly luck out but I would focus on the first half of October and be departing the far northern part of the trip by the third week of October.

MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #16

Thanks to all contributors. I’ve decided to hang out in Nova Scotia rather than tempt the weather gods. Plenty to see on the way there and around. Most stuff seems to remain open through October.

Florence should be history by the time I get there at least a couple of weeks from now.

LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Considering travelling to Newfoundland in October. Appreciate any suggestions.
I've used RVParkReviews to get an idea about weather in marginal seasons. Frequently people will comment on the weather in their reviews. Just click through the parks and scroll through the comments. Each review has a date at the top so it's pretty easy to scan for October.

Newfoundland Campground Reviews - The Best of Newfoundland Camping - RV Park Reviews
Old 09-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #18

Newfoundland is worthy as an entire trip in its own right! Not a place to rush through! Glad you have opted not to rush it this trip. So late in the season you would miss many of the things that made the trip special, such as icebergs and birds.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote