RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #1

Newfoundland in October

Considering travelling to Newfoundland in October. Appreciate any suggestions.

Thinking about Ferry from Sydney NS, up the west coast, and back to mainland on ferry from St. Barbe.

See the national parks close in October. Is there plenty of dispersed camping for 26 ft Class Cs (two)?

LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

The ferry from St. Barbe to Blanc Sablon will leave you stranded in Quebec/Labrador. The Trans Labrador Highway probably isn't passable for anything but a 4x4 in places. Based on watching and waiting for the NL government to finish paving and fixing it. I've considered trying it but the trip advisor reports and newspaper articles have convinced me to wait.
No idea about dispersed camping. I would guess yes but maybe some NL natives can clarify.

Winterbagoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
The ferry from St. Barbe to Blanc Sablon will leave you stranded in Quebec/Labrador. The Trans Labrador Highway probably isn't passable for anything but a 4x4 in places. Based on watching and waiting for the NL government to finish paving and fixing it. I've considered trying it but the trip advisor reports and newspaper articles have convinced me to wait.
No idea about dispersed camping. I would guess yes but maybe some NL natives can clarify.
Thanks for that info! I should know better than to make assumptions about remote areas.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #4

My cousin did NL back in June, crossed from North Sydney to Port aux Basques, and drove all the way up to St. Barbe. They said they could see Blanc Sablon, and were going to take the ferry across to meet some people they'd just met on the island, but backed out at the last minute. Scheduling or something.
They were in their 4x4 F150 tow vehicle, and stayed at bed and breakfasts or motels, instead of pulling their small travel trailer along.
They said Newfoundland was a great trip, and would do it again. They saw just about all the usual stuff, icebergs, whales (on the ferry crossing, too), and did a fair bit of seafood and schmoozing, iykwim.
So, don't let me dissuade you about going, just not sure about crossing over to Labrador for the return trip. It might be a little ugly still.
I'm still watching the news reports, the TLH updates, and the newspapers online hoping for anything encouraging. I'd really like to try the TLH some day, but I think it's got a ways to go yet.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
My cousin did NL back in June, crossed from North Sydney to Port aux Basques, and drove all the way up to St. Barbe. They said they could see Blanc Sablon, and were going to take the ferry across to meet some people they'd just met on the island, but backed out at the last minute. Scheduling or something.
They were in their 4x4 F150 tow vehicle, and stayed at bed and breakfasts or motels, instead of pulling their small travel trailer along.
They said Newfoundland was a great trip, and would do it again. They saw just about all the usual stuff, icebergs, whales (on the ferry crossing, too), and did a fair bit of seafood and schmoozing, iykwim.
So, don't let me dissuade you about going, just not sure about crossing over to Labrador for the return trip. It might be a little ugly still.
I'm still watching the news reports, the TLH updates, and the newspapers online hoping for anything encouraging. I'd really like to try the TLH some day, but I think it's got a ways to go yet.
Thanks for the info. Iím thinking June through Sep would be much better. But I donít know if Iíll ever be so close. My main objective for this trip is Acadia National Park, which is a long way from Idaho. Iím leaving next Sunday hoping to catch the leaves turning in mid October. Planning to head there partly through Canada north of the Great Lakes and meet up with a friend in Lake George, New York for the points northeast part of the trip.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:04 PM   #6

Sounds like a good itinerary. Should be a good trip.

I think earlier in the year for NL is a better choice. This time of year, the weather starts to become a factor out there. They will get the tail end of hurricanes on occasion, now that that's underway. I guess no one that lives there has seen this thread yet? I'm sure they can add something.

That said, the colors do change throughout the rest of the Maritimes, and New Brunswick is a great place to have a look around. I would recommend Kouchibouguac National Park as a place to check them out, if your "fall colors" timing is good. Do a day at Hopewell Rocks, if you want to try something a little bit different. We did both last October and weren't disappointed.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled to NL in 2016 and spent 40 days traveling the Island. Fantastic people: friendly, helpful, unique dialect, and entertaining. Beautiful scenery. Visited:
1- Gros Morne National Park
2- L'Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site (Viking village from 1000 AD)
3- Red Bay National Historic Site, Labrador
4- Twillingate, Unique fishing village
5- Trinity,
6- St. Pierre and Miquelon, two French Islands south of NL
7- St. John’s
8- Corner Brook. Blow Me Down Park, Captain James Cook National Historic Site

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
We traveled to NL in 2016 and spent 40 days traveling the Island. Fantastic people: friendly, helpful, unique dialect, and entertaining. Beautiful scenery. Visited:
1- Gros Morne National Park
2- L'Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site (Viking village from 1000 AD)
3- Red Bay National Historic Site, Labrador
4- Twillingate, Unique fishing village
5- Trinity,
6- St. Pierre and Miquelon, two French Islands south of NL
7- St. Johnís
8- Corner Brook. Blow Me Down Park, Captain James Cook National Historic Site

Were you there in October 2016, by any chance?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #9

October weather would be the big factor .
Ferry sailings cancelled, early snow storms that can close the island highways for days, etc.
We were in the Atlantic provinces/ New England States in mid September , years ago , most RV parks were closing shortly after Labor Day weekend.
The day we crossed from PEI to Nova Scotia , there were 50,000 homes without power from a storm three days prior, on our third day in the Halifax area , storm warnings were up again.
JMHO; It's a wonderful area to visit , and if your traveling to avoid the summer rush ( kids out of school ) consider late May early June for travel there.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #10

We went to NFLD in 2014. We went in the month of July, and were on the island for about two weeks. We wanted to see icebergs, and had to travel up to ST. Anthony to see some. We had the heat on for three nights. I can say you would probably be looking at pretty cool temps in Oct. Heres a link to the average temps. It appears the average low is above freezing, but that could change year to year. You may have to be prepared to protect the rv water systems from freezing. https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...re-october.php
Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Winterbagoal, Traveled to NL in June and July of 2016. Visited very interesting sites that if you are traveling to NL you should consider.

RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
Winterbagoal, Traveled to NL in June and July of 2016. Visited very interesting sites that if you are traveling to NL you should consider.

OK, thanks. I think the OP was looking more for info about going in October.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
October weather would be the big factor .
Ferry sailings cancelled, early snow storms that can close the island highways for days, etc.
We were in the Atlantic provinces/ New England States in mid September , years ago , most RV parks were closing shortly after Labor Day weekend.
The day we crossed from PEI to Nova Scotia , there were 50,000 homes without power from a storm three days prior, on our third day in the Halifax area , storm warnings were up again.
JMHO; It's a wonderful area to visit , and if your traveling to avoid the summer rush ( kids out of school ) consider late May early June for travel there.
You are correct about the weather in the Maritimes. A friend who lives in New Brunswick had his power off for more than a few days 2 years ago. We've always gone out there no earlier than May and no later than July, and it's always been pretty good.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Thanks for the info. Iím thinking June through Sep would be much better. But I donít know if Iíll ever be so close. My main objective for this trip is Acadia National Park, which is a long way from Idaho. Iím leaving next Sunday hoping to catch the leaves turning in mid October.
Be aware most parks and campgrounds in the New England area close Columbus Day, which is October 8 this year. Some close even earlier. Be sure you have a place to stay.

spuds is online now   Reply With Quote