Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Newport Dunes? (CA)

Does anyone have experience with Newport Dunes in Newport Beach? It's really pricey but less than a mile from meetings I have in November. Not your typical spot from the looks of it.

It will be my first longer distance trip btw. (500 miles)

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Since nobody has offered any advice, we stayed there about 5 years ago, and enjoyed it. Like you say, it was very pricey, close to $100 per night. We stayed for a week and did get a discount, but blew that by ordering ROOM SERVICE one night! They delivered the food on a golf cart. Nice. We acted like we were millionaires, staying on a water front site. The amenities were great, but be sure to check RV campground review sites for any changes since then. We were visiting family in Orange County, and this was very close. Hope this helps, maybe somebody will chime in that has stayed there more recently.

Bruce

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Since nobody has offered any advice, we stayed there about 5 years ago, and enjoyed it. Like you say, it was very pricey, close to $100 per night. We stayed for a week and did get a discount, but blew that by ordering ROOM SERVICE one night! They delivered the food on a golf cart. Nice. We acted like we were millionaires, staying on a water front site. The amenities were great, but be sure to check RV campground review sites for any changes since then. We were visiting family in Orange County, and this was very close. Hope this helps, maybe somebody will chime in that has stayed there more recently.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce. I do know the place from about 15 years ago, although only the marina. Maybe it's because I was young and RVs were far from the mind or just focused on the boat, but I didn't even know they had an RV park there. Found it from a Google search.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #4

Been there once, I felt the packed em in like sardines, jmo
Old 10-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been there a few times with friends as a group. The place is clean and there is lots of things to do in the area. The place is well lighted and you can take a walk at 2am with no issues if you want. There is a pool and jacuzzi. There is really no grass on the suites but the suites are so small you won't miss it. There is a 4 foot chain link fence that divides all the suites. There should be plenty of pictures on their suite.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:00 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been there a few times just visiting, did not stay. It is a nice resort and they do pack in close but that's kind of the norm for southern CA. Look it up on Google earth to see an overview of it.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I live near there. It has a nice Bay Area along with a path where you can walk or bike around the whole inlet of water with shore birds and fauna. It's pretty nice for beach city visits. Some airport noise on different days until 11pm.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were there eleven years ago. It was very nice then, been there twice. The spots one row back from the beach then were quite a bit more affordable. the area is very nice, the park was well run and clean. The sites were pedestrian considering the price.

Our stay ended when the person in the expensive front row backed his motor home right into the front of ours demolishing the front of our six month old Dolphin. Oh well, insurance took care of everything, no one hurt. But we have not been back.
njs42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCSF2014 View Post
Does anyone have experience with Newport Dunes in Newport Beach? It's really pricey but less than a mile from meetings I have in November. Not your typical spot from the looks of it.

It will be my first longer distance trip btw. (500 miles)

Thanks!
I have been going there for 10 plus years, we have family close by. Pricing is tiered. It depends on your size rig. I only fit in beachfront. Yes its the only game in town, But very convenient I always go in and out on weekends, traffic in OC has gotten so bad.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #10

Stayed there 2 months last year , it's clean , nice pool , close to great bars and restaurants .
Sites are pretty tight , fitness room is tired , expensive but we would go back
Old 10-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for the input. What I've gathered including satellite images is the spaces are tight. Considering my lack of experience driving the rig (Never driven mine, or any for that matter but I'll practice a bunch in the next month) I think this may not be the best choice. Time to consider others in the area.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #12

By tight I meant , not much space between sites for awning chairs etc .
Backing coach in to spot is as good as anywhere in CA
Old 10-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCSF2014 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. What I've gathered including satellite images is the spaces are tight. Considering my lack of experience driving the rig (Never driven mine, or any for that matter but I'll practice a bunch in the next month) I think this may not be the best choice. Time to consider others in the area.

A few practices and you will be fine and have a spotter. If no one else is along ask the park for one or enlist a fellow RV'r on site. They will be glad to help.

Driver's Confidence Video 7: Backing an RV into a Campsite - YouTube
njs42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
A few practices and you will be fine and have a spotter. If no one else is along ask the park for one or enlist a fellow RV'r on site. They will be glad to help.

Driver's Confidence Video 7: Backing an RV into a Campsite - YouTube
Great video, thanks! I've already found out about hospitality from RV'rs from a campsite scouting trip we took up north last weekend. I saw a guy at a park (Emerald Forest of Trinidad) who had the same toad as mine and the blue ox rig I'm considering and just stopped to ask him how he likes it. He ended up walking me through the entire process! I'm glad to be part of such a wonderful community. Nice park btw, we also liked Klamath River RV park.