Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #1

NH White Mountains

Heading to NH White Mountains tomorrow from South Jersey and the route on 95 takes me through the Bronx to Connecticut to route 91. Is this the best route?
Last time I took this route, was many years ago and the construction through Connecticut was unbelievable and the road through the Bronx was like driving through an earthquake.
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I prefer the more scenic and less aggravating one parkway to ny thruway to vermont across vt to nh it may take a little longer but much more enjoyable
Old 07-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park View Post
Heading to NH White Mountains tomorrow from South Jersey and the route on 95 takes me through the Bronx to Connecticut to route 91. Is this the best route?
Last time I took this route, was many years ago and the construction through Connecticut was unbelievable and the road through the Bronx was like driving through an earthquake.
Don't miss taking a leisurely drive on the Kangamungus Highway and be not afraid to Climb Mt. Washington.

There is also the North Conway Railroad a real steam engine that takes a short trip through time. On a clear day you can see the top of the mountain from Conway, NH.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Forget the George Washington Bridge route. Although there is a toll going northbound, take the Tappan Zee Bridge and 287 around. Not much longer and far less conjestion.

Way too many sites to see to mention here. Pick up every free newspaper or mgazine you can find in the area. As a tourist area, advertising dollars run rampart.

Enjoy the area and come back soon!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
stay far away from the George Washington Bridge and anything that has a parkway on it ( in both ct and ny)

I usually go this way from my shore place in south jersey to Ct:
Garden state parkway, 287 over the tappan zee and then pick up 684 through ny and 84 in ct. After the Tappanzee toll booth you will want the lanes toward the left and watch carefully for the 684 exit which is on the right ( 9a i think) there is a rest area on 684 a few miles before the exit for 84. 84 will bring you to 91 north at hartford.
Try to get out of Jersey in the morning. 287 and 84 up to hartford can be crowded in the afternoon.

If I get out late and feel there will be alot of traffic on 287 with tappanzee I will go up 87 (ny thwy ) north to 84 east and across the river at newburgh and on into Ct

That route for me is the longest road in the world.. after 45+ years of driving back and forth I know every last little inch and landmark as it comes up... lol ..5 to 6 hours feels like 10 to 12 for me North Jersey is a mess no matter which way you go, NY and Ct are always in a state of fixing and nothing seems to get better. 287 is always a bumpy ride.
I had to bring a sick dog up at 2 am one time and North Jersey was fairly heavy traffic on the GSP at that time of the morning O_O
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #6

Agree with CTCAMPER. Depending on exact location in NH going up 91 or staying on 84 to 90 to 93 are options. Have a good trip
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cog railway is a fun thing.. probably more like a do it one time in a life and that would be enough; but fun. Something like 60 a head but I broke down for that and did it anyway even though I thought it was a bit steep. Make sure you get the steam powered unit and not the new diesels they have making the run.. It would not be the same in anything but the Diesel.
I wish they let you go down in the hand units they used when they built it hehe
If you are on the autoroad side then it's a long drive around for the cog railroad entrance. I did both the auto road climb and the rail in one day but I was all tired out after.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
We always like this place:

Lost River Gorge and Boulder Caves | Unbeatable Adventure and Scenic Wonder

Follow your way up the gorge while climbing through boulder caves.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
I prefer the more scenic and less aggravating one parkway to ny thruway to vermont across vt to nh it may take a little longer but much more enjoyable
The route advise that you and other gave about avoiding the GW Bridge, parkways and all the construction is right on. I grew up in Bergen County, NJ and all the roads are a mess.

I just love your avatar. The Pennsy GG1 is my all time favorite engine. I have spent many happy hours at Penn Station in Newark and the open platform in Harrison watching all the action on the NE Corridor. In fact, I have a post card photo of GG1 4935 plastered to my wall in my rig. My next favorite engine is steam K4 Pacific.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hi CoastieSCPO,
Your and others are right about avoiding GW Bridge, and the traffic is way way worse then you remember it, even in little ole NA!! Also not sure you would want to hang out at Penn Station or Harrison anymore,LOL! Speaking of NA I had a friend from down there visitng yesterday and have more NA folks comming up today !!

Was also wondering if you received that PM I sent you the other day, about your NJ Stay?

Remember All: LIVE, LAUGH & ENJOY !!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hey Al you are correct about hanging out at Harrison or Penn Station. Those AMTRAK cops just wouldn't understand why I would be "carrying" and not be a terrorist. Post 911 security of course. Just want to "shoot" photos of action on the tracks. Oh well, gone are the days of K4 Pacifics, GG1's and hanging out on train platforms.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote