Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Niagara Falls, Boston and New York City this summer

DW and I are taking a 2 week trip this summer, planning on leaving Michigan July 1st and crossing into Canada at Port Huron then on to Niagara Falls. We plan on staying 4 days at 4 Mile Creek State Park in New York.

Then on to Boston for 3 days. Wife is a history buff so want to make to most of Boston. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Then on to Florida, NY and Blackbear RV Park for another 4 days. The campground offers a bus tour that picks you up at the campground and takes you to NY city. Having driven in NY a couple of time I want to see sights and not worry about traffic so we have booked the tour.

Any thing I need to know about crossing the border into and out of Canada in a MH?

Any suggestions on what we definitely need to make sure we see in Niagara Falls, Boston or NYC

Thank you!
Rfennermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

We crossed from Canada to the US in WA state last year. We are US citizens. We were told that US Customs will ask about food and beverage items entering the US. So while waiting in line, I asked DW to inventory the fridge, etc. when asked by the customs agent, I started reading off the list. The agent started laughing and welcomed us back home.

Now going northbound, our raw eggs were confiscated. Other than that, the entry was no big deal.

It goes without saying...have your drivers license, passports, and I think vehicle registration ready before you get to the customs point (north or southbound). It speeds things up for you...and all of those waiting in line behind you.

We will be also heading to the Niagara Falls area and Four Mile Creek State Park in a few months. Never been there. Looking forward to it.

Travel safely
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I suggest Minuteman RV Park in Littleton, MA which I think is the closest to Boston. Many people like Normandy Farms in Foxboro MA, which is more deluxe and more expensive than Minuteman.

The Black Bear Tour Bus looks awesome. It will get you to the top attractions in NYC such as Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, 911 memorial, Times Square. A few other places not listed on their website are broadway shows, museums, the Empire State Building and Central Park. (There is an unlimited number of things to do in NYC.

I would look for a similar tour bus in Boston too. There is much to see in Boston, such as Faneuil Hall and the Quincy Market, JFK Library and Museum, Fenway Park and much much more. A good tour will get you to these attractions and more. If you have a toad, consider a trip up the coast to Gloucester and Rockport, MA. Further north, Portsmouth NH is very charming and loaded with history. All of this could be done in one long day trip, or you could break it up into two days. Another place worth visiting is Harvard University in Cambridge.

There are many posts on these forums about crossing into and out of Canada. I suggest you do a search and you will find everything you need to know about it. The number one commandment, do not take a gun into Canada. While visiting Niagara Falls, stay on the Canadian side, which is much nicer than the American side. If you can, plan a visit to nearby Niagara-On-The Lake, which is a charming town with a superb theater festival.

Be sure to check with your cellphone company before entering Canada. Most providers have a Canada package that you can add for a few dollars. If you don't have this, you can pay very high roaming charges (like $1 per minute).
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:38 AM   #4

wow, a lot to fit in.

I'm not sure I would move so fast from Florida ro NY but thats me. I always stop overnight when travelling that far to recharge. But you did say 4 days so it sounds like you have that figured in.

wish I was able to be out of work tbat long... Jealous!
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #5

Two years ago we entered Canada at the same place -Port Huron/Sarnia. I had every paper & documentation they could ever want, plus some. We also have a dog. It was so uneventful, I was almost disappointed. It wasn't much more than a wave-through. Of course, this doesn't mean it will be the same for you.

We also had a smooth US entry at Niagara Falls except for the long wait. They did ask more questions, though, but not about food or the dog. I had all papers in my hand and ready for them, which he saw but never asked to look at except for the passport. I can't help but think if you look organized, it might help. A camper a couple of cars ahead of us was being searched. Don't know if that was random, or if they had a reason to search them.

I second MRUSA about Niagara-on-the-Lake. Worth a lunch visit. And, yes, do check with your cell phone company.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #6

We crossed into Canada at Port Huron, like they said, uneventful, lookup and see what you can bring, alcohol limits, no weapons or pepper spray and some fruits. Stayed at Koa in Canada, the trolley stops right in front of the CG and takes you to the falls. We weren't there very long, I just turned off cell phones, but afterwards, my insurance company said I should have told them, some different insurance cards? Oh, the booths were some of the tightest I've been thru, watch your mirrors
Old 03-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
wow, a lot to fit in.

I'm not sure I would move so fast from Florida ro NY but thats me. I always stop overnight when travelling that far to recharge. But you did say 4 days so it sounds like you have that figured in.

wish I was able to be out of work tbat long... Jealous!
We are staying in Blackbear park in Florida, NY. It is about 45 minutes outside of New York City.

minutes
Old 03-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #8

FWIW - As someone said, contact your insurance company if you are traveling in Canada. If they have the option have them send you documentation that you have insurance there. Usually no cost but good if anything happens.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We did the East Coast this summer and for Boston, stayed at the Wampatuk State Park in Hingham, MA. A 15-20 min drive to the passenger ferry to Boston, easy. The only drawback to some of the state parks in NY, MA and some other N.E. states, is that they sometimes have 20A only for elec and no water at the sites, but available at faucets. When they say they have elec, you have to call them and ask them the amperage, they usually don't say in their brochures or on line sites.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:36 AM   #10

No water is typical. Most of the camp grounds were set up for tents back when. Electric is an add on and limited in most places. In NY we use the reservation system to see what is available:

Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - New York State Parks

That usually includes a park map with information about the power as well as what is open. Most weekends will have the good sites booked by now. Being retired we do some mid week trips to local favorites if we can get what we want.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:24 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all for the information. We are looking forward to this trip. I will post reviews along the way.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #12

DW and I took the Black Bear campground tour to NYC a few years ago. It was a whirlwind tour but most enjoyable if you've never been to NYC. From Black Bear you are also about 30-45 minutes away from the US Military Academy at West Point. A beautiful facility on the Hudson River with great historical significance.

While in Boston I recommend taking the Freedom Trail, visiting the Boston Common, and Qunicy Market/Faneuil Hall and if time permits Beacon Hill.

While in Niagara Falls, tour the Niagara Falls state park and the Canadian falls, don't forget a ride on the Maid of the Mist. From Four Mile Creek campground you are a stones throw away from Old Fort Niagara.
bobnvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #13

Still following the thread. Thanks for the info.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #14

Crossing the border, firearms as mentioned.

A number of years ago we drove across the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in MN and attempted to cross the border going N on 61 with two shotguns. We were immediately turned back. We drove South planning to go around Superior and up the MI peninsula. Sometime after dark we found a wide spot and spent the night. The next morning we discovered we had spent the night next to a re-constructed fort from the fur trade era. This was in/near Grand Portage, MN near the Pigeon River. We spent the whole day there and enjoyed it immensely. Just a thought for the history buff if he likes that sort of thing. A couple of days later we visited Greenfield Village, MI, another wonderland for a history buff.

Many years ago I visited Boston where the most interesting things for me were the Mayflower replica and Plymouth Rock. I'm sure there were many other things, but those are what stuck in my mind.

Have a wonderful visit.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote